Abusing events rules

Abusing events rules

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Black Dragon.3784

Black Dragon.3784

Q:

Is it, or is it not against the rules to fail an event on purpose for farming mobs?

Abusing events rules

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

A:

They also banned a number of people for farming endless waves of mobs, they were farming linen and I think it was one of the guild missions.
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/88706-jutelinen-farm-exploit-and-bans/
You can always point to this if people ask.

Abusing events rules

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

It is.

This has come up in the past with a few events, where not fulfilling the objective meant endless waves of mobs spawning.

However, it’s a very grey area because the difference between legitimately being unable to complete an event and intentionally failing an event is mostly in the intent.

(edited by Olba.5376)

Abusing events rules

Black Dragon.3784

Oh okay, I knew that this was against the rules but I wanted to double check just incase. I warned some people failing events for mob loot and the responses I got were negative but one got to me which was.. “and where exactly does it say that it’s against the rules?” Is there a place where I can refer back to when people question me about this rule?

(edited by Black Dragon.3784)

Abusing events rules

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

ANet’s solution in the past for such game play was eliminating rewards from the farmed mobs. This happened in Orr on one of the Temple metas.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Abusing events rules

Black Dragon.3784

They also banned a number of people for farming endless waves of mobs, they were farming linen and I think it was one of the guild missions.
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/88706-jutelinen-farm-exploit-and-bans/
You can always point to this if people ask.

Thank you very much for this information!

Abusing events rules

Posted by: JoeytheHutt.1742

JoeytheHutt.1742

I dont know if Im unlucky with servers or what, but this kind of eventfarming has increased lately. Usually I dont mind, but “GET OUT OF THE CIRCLE kittenS” and “DONT RESS HIM IDIOTS” is starting to be annoyingly common, in Orr at least.

Abusing events rules

Black Dragon.3784

I dont know if Im unlucky with servers or what, but this kind of eventfarming has increased lately. Usually I dont mind, but “GET OUT OF THE CIRCLE kittenS” and “DONT RESS HIM IDIOTS” is starting to be annoyingly common, in Orr at least.

Yes today people on the map started cursing at me just for doing events and warning people that this type of thing is against game rules and people can get banned from doing such things.

Abusing events rules

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I would hope the IDIOTS would realize that encouraging such behavior (much less using obscene language while doing so) is likely to get reported by multiple other players….not too bright.

Now are these individuals trying to allow one of the Temple Defense event fail, so they can restart the Temple events or are they failing events to farm mobs associated with those Events? I’d say there is a distinct difference (tho, technically both are “against the rules”).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Abusing events rules

Astral Projections.7320

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Exploit
An exploit is the misuse of a software feature or bug in a way that allows a player to generate in-game benefits without the risk or time expected by the game’s designers. It can involve the use of a third-party program and it includes generating currency, experience, or other things of value to players. It also includes actions that allow one player to gain a gameplay advantage over other players.

ArenaNet will temporarily suspend players for using exploits deliberately and permanently suspend those who purposefully and repeatedly make use of them, depending on the severity of their actions."

This is how I read it:
If people are deliberately not doing something that would end an event, such as rezzing dead NPCs where the dead NPCs cause the event to continue with killable mobs that drop loot, then they are misusing a feature that generates ingame benefits (loot) without the time expected by the Devs.

The Devs expected when they made this event (feature) that the NPCs would be rezzed and the event would continue to its natural end. If the players are not doing that then this is an exploit and is bannable.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Abusing events rules

Astral Projections.7320

Furthermore: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Exploit
“ArenaNet defines an exploit as any deliberate action that provides an unfair advantage over other players or otherwise hurts the game, community, or economy; it does not matter whether the exploit is a hack or making use of a bugged mechanic within the game. To be considered for a ban, players must deliberately exploit the mechanic; use of hacks or bots is always assumed to be deliberate. In addition, players that publicize an exploit are also subject to suspension of even banning, regardless of their motives, since well-publicized exploits require ArenaNet to react immediately to prevent the abuse, which diverts resources away from the rest of the game.”

In other words, generating excess loot, especially when there are many players doing this hurts the economy. It brings in more loot than the game is supposed to generate and if done in high enough volumes, can cause those markets to be flooded and prices to crash.

Abusing events rules

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

people have been banned for abusing in-game exploits before.
who is punished usually is decided by the scale of the abuse.
if you spend an hour farming endless waves, you’ll likely be fine.
if you spend 8 hours a day every day for a month farming endless waves, you’ll likely be banned when they notice it’s abusable.

Abusing events rules

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

If I notice them harassing players for trying to do the event then I purposely go out of my way to complete it. It’s exactly what I did with the Queensdale train when they harassed other players.

Abusing events rules

Posted by: Ihrga.8325

Ihrga.8325

These days I sometimes see those tunnel dwelling trains in Orr that kill spiders on the first part – fail event second part – repeat… I don’t get what’s the fun in all this?

Be Polite. Be Efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Abusing events rules

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

These days I sometimes see those tunnel dwelling trains in Orr that kill spiders on the first part – fail event second part – repeat… I don’t get what’s the fun in all this?

It’s never about fun. It’s about loot. Followed by complaints that you have to grind to get anything decent.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Abusing events rules

Brother Grimm.5176

It’s never about fun. It’s about loot. Followed by complaints that you have to grind to get anything decent.

i.e. Delusions of Grindure…..

Do those spiders drop Blood? If not, why are they not grinding Risen (that can at least drop Moldy Bags that might contain Blood)? Guess I’m missing something.

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Abusing events rules

Posted by: Ironhide.1697

Ironhide.1697

i.e. Delusions of Grindure…..

Do those spiders drop Blood? If not, why are they not grinding Risen (that can at least drop Moldy Bags that might contain Blood)? Guess I’m missing something.

It has to do with the gilded coffers, the event spawns lots of champions who all drop those coffers. I’d personally like to know if doing that is an exploit, since it seems
pretty profitable.

Abusing events rules

Brother Grimm.5176

Nevermind….they are RISEN spiders and thus drop moldy loot bags….those can generate blood (I wasn’t talking about the Champs….that’s obvious).

I would venture to say that intentionally failing an event (difficult to prove) would be considered an exploit….anything you need to ask, “is that an exploit?” is likely considered and exploit.

I just ignore the ranting idiots and continue on my merry way thru Orr….