Abyss dye!

Abyss dye!

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: TDWIG.9712

TDWIG.9712

Just got abyss dye… Should I sell it now or save it?
I’ve heard people say the drop rate of dye is “broken” does this mean anet is going to increase the rate again? Is the price going to continue to go up? 19g is very tempting…

Abyss dye!

Posted by: yurtshone.7325

yurtshone.7325

I paid 8 gold a week or so ago for mine, so I would suggest selling it or use it for yourself.

Abyss dye!

TDWIG.9712

That means the price has more than double in a week.. if the price is climbing at that drastic of a rate I feel like saving it is a good option? Then again if they increase the dye rate again I’d get screwed over.

Abyss dye!

yurtshone.7325

Try to think longer term. They change the drop rates at the drop of a hat, whatever suits them. Nineteen gold is not alot in the long term so I would personally use it on a character.

Abyss dye!

Posted by: Humor.5763

Humor.5763

First time I found Abyss dye was on my first character in Caledon Forest, within the first 5 levels of gameplay. I made the mistake of not making a point to sell it for a considerably high price, as everyone in games always seems to value “True White”, or “True Black” over any other color in the game.

It’s sad to say it, but some of the dyes look spot on with Celestial Dye, like… White dye for example, there’s almost no notable difference, yet people will just buy the Celestial dye, even though there’s next to no diff in colors, and the only diff is in the price.

If I were you, I’d sell it, take the 20g, and simply buy something like Midnight Sky, or some other color that you can barely tell any resemblance from Abyss Dye. Though it’s been a while since I’ve looked at Abyss Black, been playing on my other chars, haven’t even touched my main ever since I beat Zhaitan, I guess nothing after “Beating” the game actually interests me, and usually the first chars are simply a test, and the alts I create will be much better off, but that’s aside the point. Sell it, spend WAY less cash on a similar color, and the problem is sorta/kinda solved, you’ve made a huge profit, and have a color or shade rather, that looks pretty much the same.

Like God…
Only Better…

Abyss dye!

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/20356

Price is going to continue to go up, in my opinion. There are lots of blacks out there, Midnight Ice is a good one

Depends on how comfortable you are with risk/future reward and how much you need the gold now.

Abyss dye!

Posted by: Zid.4196

Zid.4196

Anet can stealth-tweak dye drop rate any day. It’s a speculative holder of value.

If you want security, sell it and buy gems. Gems is the only thing that: 1) Anet cant tweak 2) will forever increase in gold value

Abyss dye!

Posted by: BUTTERBLUME.3217

BUTTERBLUME.3217

Anet can stealth-tweak dye drop rate any day. It’s a speculative holder of value.

If you want security, sell it and buy gems. Gems is the only thing that: 1) Anet cant tweak 2) will forever increase in gold value

The 1) is not correct, but 2) is likely, because having their gems at a decent value gives profit to Anet

Abyss dye!

yurtshone.7325

. Gems is the only thing that: 1) Anet cant tweak

I struggle to believe you think this way!
The gem market is completely and utterly in the control of Anet.

Abyss dye!

Posted by: Zid.4196

Zid.4196

Anet has no way of making people pay real money for gems. Believe it or not, it’s the item Anet has least control over out of all the game items and the best conservative holder of value in GW2.

Abyss dye!

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

I would sell it.
Could be that they increase the drop rate anytime soon.

Otherwise you can keep it and look whether the price increases. And in case that the price would drop you can still use it for yourself.

Abyss dye!

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

just don’t make the same mistake I did and sell it for 3g- I can kick myself

Gunnar’s Hold

Abyss dye!

Posted by: Snores.7806

Snores.7806

Hold on to to it mate. With the current inflation rate it should be worth around six squibillion gold in 3 months time. You’ll be able to buy a new pair of trousers

(edited by Snores.7806)

Abyss dye!

Posted by: Medazolam.3058

Medazolam.3058

If they up drop rates then I will drop in value, however this seems unlikely right now

Abyss dye!

Posted by: Fenrir.4915

Fenrir.4915

Personally i like to using the dyes, feels like a “completation” of my character…
I had Abys dye some time ago, and used it.
I never sold a dye.

Abyss dye!

Posted by: azmodeus.3409

azmodeus.3409

wait, price going way up

Abyss dye!

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I’m trying to get all dyes on my main so I’d use it if it was me. Depends if you’re a collector or not, if not get it punted.

Abyss dye!

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

It would of been nice to have auras or a hue around certain dyes to make them stand out as a poster stated between celestial and white dye theres no difference.

Personally I would sell it like other have said and use the profit to buy a comparable color if needed.

Abyss dye!

Posted by: TabMorte.5297

TabMorte.5297

I would sell personally. But then I’m a mercenary that way.

Golemancy 101: total and complete catastrophic
failure is still a monumental success, assuming
losses remain within acceptable parameters.

Abyss dye!

Posted by: Mimizu.7340

Mimizu.7340

i would mail it to me…

Mimizu Heavy Industries [Doll] – Underworld

Abyss dye!

Posted by: Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

It would of been nice to have auras or a hue around certain dyes to make them stand out as a poster stated between celestial and white dye theres no difference.

Personally I would sell it like other have said and use the profit to buy a comparable color if needed.

There is a difference. It may not look any different if you are male*, I can’t be sure.
Celestial Dye is a much brighter/truer white than White Dye. Midnight Ice is actually a very deep blue-black, and Abyss Dye is a much deeper black than Black Dye. The appearance of these colors is also dependent on the shader** of the item being dyed.
Abyss dye may look deep black on one item, but on another it may look like a dark grey. However, Abyss Dye will still be a deeper shade of grey-black on that same item, than Black Dye would, just as Celestial Dye will be a brighter white than White Dye. This is why these items are so costly, even if the drop rate may the same as any other rare dye with the same icon.

*Men can’t differentiate shades of color as well as most women. It has to do with the gene that codes color residing in the X chromosome (of which women have 2).

**Shader refers to the combination of rendering effects on an item

Abyss dye!

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

With the winter’s day event coming up I wouldn’t be surprised if the drop rate increased. So, if you have a char that you know you will be playing at constantly even getting a legendary for, then use it on that char. If not and you’re still iffy on what you want to play as then sell it.

Abyss dye!

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

There is a difference. It may not look any different if you are male*, I can’t be sure.
Celestial Dye is a much brighter/truer white than White Dye. Midnight Ice is actually a very deep blue-black, and Abyss Dye is a much deeper black than Black Dye. The appearance of these colors is also dependent on the shader** of the item being dyed.
Abyss dye may look deep black on one item, but on another it may look like a dark grey. However, Abyss Dye will still be a deeper shade of grey-black on that same item, than Black Dye would, just as Celestial Dye will be a brighter white than White Dye. This is why these items are so costly, even if the drop rate may the same as any other rare dye with the same icon.

*Men can’t differentiate shades of color as well as most women. It has to do with the gene that codes color residing in the X chromosome (of which women have 2).

I use 30" NEC MultiSync PA301W running xr7970 and the color palette differences between the celestial and white, black and abyss are minimal at best, celestial having a little satin shine look and abyss a little more gray scaling nothing major especially when viewing them on anything under xd2560x1600 with near perfect saturation.

As to your point about the items base shader effecting its new shade I noticed no changes whether the item was originally shaded black, tan, yellow or green.

My point was to make an issue of dye effects and that they could use something tangible as an improvement something the differentiates them proportionately to their lesser palette cousins not which gender see’s in higher definition and my wife concurs with my findings, minimal at best.

Abyss dye!

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

Abyss dye dropped for me very early, shortly after game launch. I must have been around level 15 or 20. I didn’t know what it was at the time. Well, of course I knew it was dye, and activated it just like any other dye I came across at that time. I just didn’t know how valuable and sought after it would be!

If only I knew then what it is worth now …

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Abyss dye!

TDWIG.9712

I couldn’t handle the stress, I mailed it away. >_<

Abyss dye!

Posted by: Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

I use 30" NEC MultiSync PA301W running xr7970 and the color palette differences between the celestial and white, black and abyss are minimal at best, celestial having a little satin shine look and abyss a little more gray scaling nothing major especially when viewing them on anything under xd2560x1600 with near perfect saturation.

As to your point about the items base shader effecting its new shade I noticed no changes whether the item was originally shaded black, tan, yellow or green.

That’s not really what I was referring to. I mean like how the renderer will make metal look like metal, leather look like leather, and different types of cloth, skin, etc.
If you use dye remover on all dyeable parts of an item you can see what I mean. Even with everything having the same color, the different parts have different shaders that make them look different. Dye all of these parts the same color of dye, and each part will still look different because of the shader.
If I use Midnight Ice on all parts of my Exalted light armor set, some parts will look deep, deep black, but others will be very distinctly deep blue. I can only guess that Abyss Dye would have the same appearance, except that what would be blue from Midnight Ice, would then be a distinctly neutral deep grey of the same tone.

My point was to make an issue of dye effects and that they could use something tangible as an improvement something the differentiates them proportionately to their lesser palette cousins not which gender see’s in higher definition and my wife concurs with my findings, minimal at best.

I understand, and agree, that the differences are slight, but obviously, those differences are valuable to those willing to pay such high prices. I’m one of those people. I don’t think it’s a good idea to give advice based on subjective opinion, but posed as fact (and here I am not responding to you personally, but all those who have stated that certain colors are the same as others, when indeed they are not)

It really just depends on whether or not the OP cares about this difference in color.
If they do care, then telling them that Black is the same, or Midnight Ice is the same, is giving them inaccurate information to base their decision on.

Of course, we wouldn’t even need to be having this conversation if Anet would give us the ability to preview items in the TP ;P

Abyss dye!

Posted by: Mayam.8976

Mayam.8976

Well, for what it’s worth, if they do “ninja buff” the drop rate I don’t think you’d see the floor immediately drop out anyway. Personally, I’d keep an eye on the market for about 24 hours after each “new build” and if it takes enough of a down turn, unload it. That’s if I didn’t just go ahead and sell it straight off the bat, which I probably would, and then just pick up a ‘Midnight’ shade of whatever. At 20g, there’s hardly anything else outside of a precursor that you can flip that quick for that much.

Heck, if you do catch the market and sell at the right time before some “ninja drop rate change”, you can easily sell it for 20~ gold, wait a week or whatever for the market to normalize at a lower price. Then buy it back at the new discounted price and end up with the dye and a decent chunk of change.

Abyss dye!

Posted by: Mayam.8976

Mayam.8976

Hold on to to it mate. With the current inflation rate it should be worth around six squibillion gold in 3 months time. You’ll be able to buy a new pair of trousers

You know really though, this post sums it up entirely! 6 squibillion! SQUIBILLION SIR!!!

… this thread ended with this post imho…

SQUIBILLION!!!11!!1one!11!!!1

:D

Abyss dye!

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

I sold the Abyss die i got last week for 11g now it’s 19g… Not sure if it’ll continue to trend higher but it’s on a pretty good climb.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Abyss dye!

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

Has anyone received it twice??

I get repeat drops of all sorts of common and some uncommon dyes.
Never any repeats on rares, so far …

Oh, and I don’t even use abyss dye anymore …
Frankly, I find it boring on my own kit, and you see it everywhere …

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Abyss dye!

Posted by: Saulius.8430

Saulius.8430

have received it 4 times since gw2 start. last time i had it was worth 8g

kill all ze thingz