Account magic find question..

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: TheFool.4589

TheFool.4589

Q:

At what percentage do you actually see a difference in loot dropped? I’m at 60% and still get the normal garbage I usually get as if I didn’t have any magic find at all……rares remain just that. Rare. Anyone seen a difference?

Posted by: charter.4095

charter.4095

I’m currently at 142%, but I started noticing improved drops (in particular many more rares) around 100%. That’s just my experience.

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

Honestly, you do receive an increase at every percent. But I doubt many (if any) have spent hours trying to tabulate the loot drops. There are too many things to keep track of when trying to crunch those numbers, ie find out a loot table.

If something has a 1/10 chance to drop at 0% MF, then it has a 2/10 chance to drop at 100% MF, so you do really need a lot to notice a difference. I assume rolling onto a higher quality loot table is similar. I’m just not sure how getting multiple items would work with MF.

I just hit 150% and I do notice a rare or two drop every hour or two of game play from mobs. I rarely see white items any more, and get more green than blue, but your mileage may vary. MF also does not affect champ bags or chests in the world (to my knowledge).

Posted by: Neoheart.2750

Neoheart.2750

I’m currently at 142%, but I started noticing improved drops (in particular many more rares) around 100%. That’s just my experience.

Yeah you obviously do see have an increase for each % but however small or large that change to the RNG table is will probably never be publically documented by the players. If it was (and proven) i would take my hat off to said person.

Personally, like charter said i myself feel i noticed a difference at or around 100% So just keep using the mat’s and always keep in your mind that RNG is RNG.

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

The chance is tricky, i’ll say why.

Let’s say you have a 20% of getting a yellow on an enemy.
—With 100% of magical find, you’ll have a 40% of getting a yellow.
—With 150% of magical find, you’ll have a 50% of getting a yellow.
However, that’s a percentage and you could just roll the dice and not get the 50% good one.

Now let’s speak about Pre-legendary weapons (precursos, whatever). Let’s say you have a 0,001% of getting one on each enemy.
—With 100% of magical find you’ll have a 0,002%.
—With 150% of magical find you’ll have a 0,0025%.
So… in those cases magical find is really useless, the chance is still too little.

That’s how it works. You won’t see more “special items” drops, just an increase in the average ones.

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

OP, I am at 153% and the only thing I have noticed is more greens dropping and perhaps 1 or 2 more more rares than before. That is it.

Since most of the PvE I do involve event chests, MF has has very little impact on my drops.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

MF should help you see more greens/blues along with more higher tiered crafting materials (ie, T6 vs T5).

You will occasionally see an additional rare or exotic, but their drop rates are still pretty low so you will not notice a huge difference probably.

Posted by: sunny.6370

sunny.6370

I´m at 204% and you get many blues and greens and fine crafting material drops frequently from mobs.
I´m not sure but between 100% and 150% i got less white gear and more blue/green.

Posted by: Neoheart.2750

Neoheart.2750

Well im always swimming in yellows, just a shame they actually never turn into ecto’s :P

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I’m at 150%+ Magic Find right now and since i’m about 120-130% Magic Find i’m ‘’swimming in yellows’’ like Neoheart said. This was not a sudden change in drop, but i use to struggle to get all the ectos i needed, but right now i accumulate them faster that i use them. I also get more tier 6 crafting material.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

I noticed the best improvement from 220-250 range. I normally run around 357% with the 20 amulet and 30 cookie. Guildless so don’t have the advantage of guild boost. I am a huge advocate of magic find, encourage everyone to max it.

sunny.6370

Maybe you don´t have guild mf boost cause you´re not in a guild. But if you make your own guild you can make your mf banners for 50 influence in the economy category. And you can buy influence at the Guild promoter. It´s 20silver for 100 influence. So you get your 10’% mf banners for 5silver ea.

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

@Sunny, guildless as in not with a guild of people. I have storage guilds. Don’t play as much as I once did. Still love the game. Just waiting for something more to do.

I would like to see Anet put more stuff into the game that takes hundreds of hours to complete instead of events that can be completed in a day or two. That’s just me though.

sunny.6370

ok. Then you should hope that new content is coming.

Posted by: Sola.7250

Sola.7250

I got more yellows when I was at 89-99%, then I’m getting after reaching 100-106%, so I wonder if each new tier (100, 200, 300) gets some sort of reset?

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

The chance is tricky, i’ll say why.

Let’s say you have a 20% of getting a yellow on an enemy.
—With 100% of magical find, you’ll have a 40% of getting a yellow.
—With 150% of magical find, you’ll have a 50% of getting a yellow.
However, that’s a percentage and you could just roll the dice and not get the 50% good one.

Now let’s speak about Pre-legendary weapons (precursos, whatever). Let’s say you have a 0,001% of getting one on each enemy.
—With 100% of magical find you’ll have a 0,002%.
—With 150% of magical find you’ll have a 0,0025%.
So… in those cases magical find is really useless, the chance is still too little.

That’s how it works. You won’t see more “special items” drops, just an increase in the average ones.

I’m not sure how you are calculating a 20% to 40% increase in drop rate with 100% MF.

every 100% improves your rare drop roll chance by 10%, so having 100% MF in your example increases the change of a rare to 30%, not 40%. at 150% MF, your increase is to 35%.

(see wiki —> 200% increases your roll chance from 1/10 (10%) to 3/10 (10%+20%) )

Also, it’s important to understand what is not affected by MF. Example: loot bags. MF only gets checked at drop time, not opening.. so if you buy a bunch of bags on the trading post, your MF will not affect the potential content vs. someone who doesn’t have any MF.

There was speculation that, as loot bags are “blue,” you may get LESS of them with increased MF.