Acquiring gear lvl 60+

Acquiring gear lvl 60+

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: OrangeMint.7980

OrangeMint.7980

Q:

Hi everyone, I just recently hit 60 and I have been looking around and from others that level 60 is where exotics and rares start being useful.

So I was wondering if level 60 exotics/rare are worth getting? And if they are worth it, where can I obtain them? I’ve been walking around the asura area and I find these npc’s called “cultural” vendors. They have some exotics (if i recall) for karma and gold; quite expensive though xD

Also, are there level 70 exotic/rare sets too? Or is it just level 60 and 80? If it is just level 60 and 80, does that mean the armor in between, such as level 65 70 and 75, are not good?

sorry if any part is confusing, I will try to clarify if there are questions. thanks!

Acquiring gear lvl 60+

Posted by: DEKeyzToChaos.7381

DEKeyzToChaos.7381

Honestly, I would save your money for level 80, where you don’t have to worry about outleveling your gear any more. Spend a few silver on the BLTC – or if you’re into crafting, start crafting weapons/armor for those easy levels – to get competitive greens and slap some cheap sigils or crests (at level 65, I think) on them. You can get cheap but sturdy karma weapons from the WvW vendor if you feel like your damage is lacking, too.

I’m not sure of the existence/names of specific exotic/rare sets below level 80. I’m just afraid that by the time you earn the resources to get it, you’ll be ready for the next level up of gear.

Acquiring gear lvl 60+

OrangeMint.7980

ah I see, I also feel like I should just wait until level 80 too. I think I will check out the WvW vendors again, last time I checked the prices were kinda high, I think i was at the wrong vendor xD

I just really want something to use that can give me some damage and survivability for WvW until I can reach to level 80, the average level of my gear is like level 46 lol, so I’m pretty squishy.

Acquiring gear lvl 60+

Posted by: Fildydarie.1496

Fildydarie.1496

I agree with the DEKeyzToChaos; if you’re crafting your own gear, by all means, use the best you’ve made, but going out of your way prior to 80 is probably more cost than benefit.

The exception is if you’re going to be trying difficult, group-based content. In that case, you owe it to your group to bring whatever you can.

If you’re not big into running dungeons yet, there is no reason to stress over gear right now.

The cultural vendors are very expensive, by design. Gnerally random loot in the TP is a better deal if you are being money-conscious.

-Fildydarie
Hutchmistress of the Fluffy Bunny Brigade [FBB]

(edited by Fildydarie.1496)

Acquiring gear lvl 60+

DEKeyzToChaos.7381

From what I remember, your gear is leveled up with you in WvW, but when you gain lots of levels in WvW and you don’t get new gear, your gear is actually weaker than when you were a lower level. Someone correct me if I’m wrong (I often am), but it’s something like:

WvW effective gear level = 80 – (your level – your gear level).

So a level 46 running around with level 46 gear may be stronger (ignoring traits) than a level 60 running around with level 46 gear. So any improvement will definitely be felt in WvW without needing to get rare or exotic gear.

And remember, look for karma WvW gear if you’re interested. In the Borderlands, it’s sold by the guys sitting right next to the Lion’s Arch portal. It’s what I did when I was level 75 running around with level 55 weapons . It’s not worth it to spend gold on vendor gear – if you want to spend gold, head to BLTC.

Acquiring gear lvl 60+

Posted by: Fildydarie.1496

Fildydarie.1496

Someone correct me if I’m wrong (I often am), but it’s something like…

Your stats (after food, gear, traits, etc.) are multiplied by the ratio of your base stat at your effective level to the base stat at your actual level. This appears to hold for both upscaling and downscaling (much more testing on down than up).

If I have my numbers right, the bse value at 60 is 572 and it is 916 at 80. So a 60 being scaled to 80 has their stats multiplied by (916/572) ~1.6. Similarly, an 80 being dowscaled to 60 has their stats multiplied by (572/916) ~0.62

If your gear is not up-to-date with your character level, then as your character levels, the effectiveness of your gear diminishes as it is scaled. That said, there is generally enough room for some gear stat slippage as you level—you just don’t want to let it go too far or it becomes challenging to overcome.

Edit: Was thinking this was in a slightly different thread at first. Modified content to be more on-topic/relevant. -1 for multitasking. Also re-edited due to atrocious spelling / typos.

-Fildydarie
Hutchmistress of the Fluffy Bunny Brigade [FBB]

(edited by Fildydarie.1496)

Acquiring gear lvl 60+

OrangeMint.7980

awesome! you all are very helpful from what I gathered and some thinking, I will just wait until I am level 80, i’m like level 63 now….goes by so fast lol.

Also one last question, I didn’t want to make a new thread. But is there a way to obtain level 80 exotics that you get with dungeon tokens, with karma or badges?

I read somewhere that you can get them with karma, but that was a while ago when I was just browsing around for gw 2 info. thanks!

Acquiring gear lvl 60+

DEKeyzToChaos.7381

You can get lvl 80 exotic armor using tokens from all dungeons and lvl 80 exotic weapons using tokens from the higher level dungeons. You can get exotic WvW armor using badges (but it’s expensive), and I’m not sure about WvW exotic weapons. There are several places where you can get rare karma weapons and armor, but I don’t remember seeing many karma exotics except at temples. You will also receive two level 80 exotics upon complete exploration of the Cursed Shore. See these wiki pages for more info:

And please forgive me for posting a link to something that’s already stickied, but the next thing you’ll probably think about when you hit level 80 is what you want your armor to look like.

(edited by DEKeyzToChaos.7381)

Acquiring gear lvl 60+

Posted by: LithePanther.5027

LithePanther.5027

The karma exotics come from the temple vendors in Orr.

80 Guardian. 80 Warrior. 80 Thief. 80 Engineer. 80 Necromancer. 80 Ranger.