Advantage of Light Armor over Heavy

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

Something I’ve been scratching my head about since September. It’s obvious that Heavy armor has higher defensive stats than light and medium but counterbalance exists to make the other armors on par with heavy? I heard lighter armor wearers had either more endurance or it regenerated faster. If that’s so, why was it taken out?

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

It’s in total profession balance, scholar professions have other means of survival (Death Shroud, Earth Attunement, mesmer clones), whereas Soldier professions have less in that, and have to rely more on their armor. Adventurer classes fall somewhere between the two.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

I think the Armor classes are mostly aesthetic. Balances between classes is done on a per-class level anyway, which counterbalances any benefit for Light vs Heavy armors.

For instance, Necromancers use light armor, but have an impressively large HP pool. Guardians use heavy armor, but their HP pools are much smaller. Necro-tanks rely on their high HP to eat the damage, while Guardians rely on blocks.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Each type of armor has exactly the same amount of stats. The only difference is the “defense” of each piece, which basically counts as toughness, because total armor = toughness + defence.

That being said, I don’t think heavy armor makes that much of a difference by itself, and I recall reading somewhere that this difference in defense amounts to 15% less direct damage taken, which is not a big deal.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

It’s in total profession balance, scholar professions have other means of survival (Death Shroud, Earth Attunement, mesmer clones), whereas Soldier professions have less in that, and have to rely more on their armor. Adventurer classes fall somewhere between the two.

In my opinion, it’s supposed to be reflected in total profession balance, but it isn’t by most any measure. Those defensive tradeoffs come from the class mechanic, something each class has, including the two classes with the highest armor rating. So the lighter armored classes have mechanics to make up for an inherent disadvantage, while the heavier ones can have a mechanic that contributes to their strength.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

on paper heavy gives more defense but in the real world there isn’t much. raw stats aren’t worth much. traits and skills are what matter.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Lighter armour is basically a nerf to light and med professions because if they had heavy armour they’d be ridiculously overpowered.

It ends up being a flavour thing for that classes defence ability.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Cauldron.1653

Cauldron.1653

That’s why Mesmer’s are really good at solo-ing stuff… as long as I can keep pumping out clones (with the occasional threat drop) I can pretty much do anything.

(anything that doesn’t stun, shadow step, 1-hits 3 clones at once and must be fought in confined spaces – looking at you Champion Risen Worshipper -.-)

“Your subterfuge of incognizance will erode under my fulgent dupery”

Posted by: Orion the Cursed.1206

Orion the Cursed.1206

OP is right, light armor & heavy should be more balanced.

GW1,
Heavy = more armor
med = + element resistance
light = + mana pool

GW2 should be something like,
Heavy = more armor
med = +20% endurance reg for 6 piece
light = -20% heal skill cooldown for 6 piece(best bonus for lowest armor)

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

GW1,
Heavy = more armor
light = + mana pool

Heavy = more armor

I like this.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

GW1,
Heavy = more armor
light = + mana pool

Heavy = more armor

Broken.

Not even going to point out why as its blatantly obvious.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

It is balanced like this:

Heavy: melee
Medium: mid-range
Light: ranged

Melee doesn’t have reliable ranged dps, that’s more of a fallback, whereas light professions usually shouldn’t be in melee at all. Medium armor professions fall somewhere in between. Eg. the engineer doesn’t have melee nor long-range weapons.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Orion the Cursed.1206

GW1,
Heavy = more armor
light = + mana pool

Heavy = more armor

Broken.

Its called a suggestion. Numbers are meant to be tweaked… or maybe it offends your Warrior/Guardian that you are so proud of?

Posted by: Verdelet Arconia.6987

Verdelet Arconia.6987

amour type doesn’t make a significant difference, Boons and traits is the defining factor, an example is light amour bunker traited elementalist. Can easily outlast a heavy amoured warrior

(edited by Verdelet Arconia.6987)

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

Ahahahaha. As a Warrior I can tell you that Heavy armour’s advantage over Light is so miniscule it hardly matters. Light/Medium Professions gain avoidance abilities such as Stealth, Clones, Death Shroud and various other abilities that far outweighs any advantage of Heavy armour.

If anything, Heavy armour should be buffed because of the lack of avoidance and tricks the Guardian/Warrior suffer from.

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

TexZero.7910

GW1,
Heavy = more armor
light = + mana pool

Heavy = more armor

Broken.

Its called a suggestion. Numbers are meant to be tweaked… or maybe it offends your Warrior/Guardian that you are so proud of?

Im proud of all my characters be it my Warrior, Engineer or Necro.

What you seeming fail to acknowledge in that system is how heavily imbalanced that is given the current existing systems. Traits / Runes / Sigils. Even with number tweaks are you so blind as to ignore that with that system an Engineer could have near permanent evasion, and an Ele could literally never die with all the heals it has ?

No, okay. Clearly you haven’t even scratched the surface when it comes to thought of that “balance proposal”.

Orion the Cursed.1206

GW1,
Heavy = more armor
light = + mana pool

Heavy = more armor

Broken.

What you seeming fail to acknowledge in that system is how heavily imbalanced that is given the current existing systems. Traits / Runes / Sigils. Even with number tweaks are you so blind as to ignore that with that system an Engineer could have near permanent evasion, and an Ele could literally never die with all the heals it has ?

No, okay. Clearly you haven’t even scratched the surface when it comes to thought of that “balance proposal”.

Just 3?

Brainstorming =/= Balancing,

“Numbers are meant to be tweaked”. This means balancing is done later in playtesting. That’s how brainstorming works. Playtesting can reduce the 20% to 5% or tweek armor values or even skill effectiveness & cooldown if they feel its justified. I never said the other aspects of the game has to remain static

The idea is to provide different survivalbility tactics for different armor classes.

And here is a free English lesson. Quoting “balance proposal” implies i used this to describe my suggestion. Did I?

(edited by Orion the Cursed.1206)

Posted by: tairneanach.8427

tairneanach.8427

It is balanced like this:

Heavy: melee
Medium: mid-range
Light: ranged

Melee doesn’t have reliable ranged dps, that’s more of a fallback, whereas light professions usually shouldn’t be in melee at all. Medium armor professions fall somewhere in between. Eg. the engineer doesn’t have melee nor long-range weapons.

Sorry, but that’s bullpuppy. The Guardian may be lacking in actual ranged damage (good utility, though), but the Warrior is a powerhouse with a rifle or a longbow. And guess at what range a D/D Elementalist operates? Sure, it’s not true melee, but most if his attacks are so short-ranged, it doesn’t make an actual difference. And D/D is pretty common. In short: almost every profession can fight at almost any range. It’s certainly not dependent on their armour.

TexZero.7910

GW1,
Heavy = more armor
light = + mana pool

Heavy = more armor

Broken.

Just 3?

Brainstorming =/= Balancing,

“Numbers are meant to be tweaked”. This means balancing is done later in playtesting. That’s how brainstorming works. Playtesting can reduce the 20% to 5% or tweek armor values or even skill effectiveness & cooldown if they feel its justified. I never said the other aspects of the game has to remain static

The idea is to provide different survivalbility tactics for different armor classes.

And here is a free English lesson. Quoting “balance proposal” implies i used this to describe my suggestion. Did I?

“air quotes” are hard to comprehend when used in a facetious manner to describe absurdity.

What you proposed was indeed a change to the armor structure and its mechanics…In common gaming vernacular that is described as the act of balancing.

Now that the “English Lesson” is concluded lets get down to the down right illogical assertion that heavy armor is superior to other armor types in the game.

What you seemingly overlooked is the fact that they already are balanced.

Don’t believe me ?
Fine, then why are the stat ratios on armors, jewelry, and weapons universal ?
Why are Trait stats unique per class ?
Why are do certain classes have a heavy emphasis on durability traits than others ? (Hint, its not the heavy armor classes)

No, its cool im sure all this play testing you speak of ignored all of this. Im sure you’ve clocked thousands of hours on this game and are thus way more aware of the issues with “armor class imbalances” heaven forbid when i said my Warrior, Engineer, and Necro you’d take note that those are all 3 Armor types. The ones that most fit my play style but not my only classes. Heck lets go ahead and lay it all out on the line…Where’s yours ?

All you’ve managed to post is a joke of a balance proposal to an issue than non-existent.

Orion the Cursed.1206

““air quotes” are hard to comprehend when used in a facetious manner to describe absurdity.”

^Especially when its one sided. Or libel.

“What you proposed was indeed a change to the armor structure and its mechanics…In common gaming vernacular that is described as the act of balancing.”

^Or gameplay enhancement. Because if balancing were the only issue, we would only have 1 profession.

“What you seemingly overlooked is the fact that they already are balanced.”

^Never said the aren’t. Now ask me if i think they are inspired

“Where’s yours ?”

^Wheres my what?… line?… playstyle? If you want to know which profession i play, its all except ranger(because i haven’t leveled one yet). I have nothing on the line. My playstyle changes depends on my mood.

“All you’ve managed to post is a joke of a balance proposal to an issue than non-existent.”

^ No, i never proposed a “balance” issue, i proposed a gameplay issue because the game would be more interesting with more variety (so that players actually feel that what armor class they choose actually matters however insignificantly; heavys endure the damage, mediums will dodge it, lights remedy it), but i guess balancing numbers are all that matters to you. Its cool, i make people think and feel, and you can make sure they do it at the same amount

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

Not to derail the very mature quoting argument here, but, to answer the original question of the thread I think I found an answer.

The advantage of light armor over heavy is measured in skin shown. That’s about it.

Hope this helps!

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)