Advice for a brand new player

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: kudegras.2305

kudegras.2305

Hi everyone, I just purchased the deluxe edition and am soon to begin my journey in guild wars. So if you guys can give me some advice I would be grateful. Thanks.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I would advise perusing the Player Helping Player sub-forum, including the Stickies.

Also, the Wiki, accessed via the link above, or in-game by typing /Wiki (topic of choice) in a chat channel.

Take your time, the journey is as fun as anything else in-game.

Welcome to Tyria, and good luck.

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Welcome to Tyria! The first thing I would recommend is this… If you’ve ever played any other MMO, throw any per-conceptions you may have out the window. GW2 isn’t like anything you’ve played before, and so should be approached with an open mind. Second, don’t be afraid to take things slowly. There is a great deal to do, even starting off. Heck three of the better known world bosses are in the starting areas. Lastly, don’t be afraid to shout out and ask for help or advice. GW2 has one of the friendliest and most helpful communities out there. Most of the time someone will be more than willing to assist.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

My advice is to take it slow. Don’t level fast and rush to the level 80 maps like everyone does in other games but take the time to explore the world and learn it.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Oneira.7691

Oneira.7691

Take your time like the previous poster said, and do the My Story definitely. Do it as soon as it’s available at your level ( level 1,10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80).

Pick up a crafting profession that fits your class and level it as you go, but don’t spend too much cash on it.

Posted by: Chuck.8196

Chuck.8196

Find a friendly guild and don’t be afraid to ask for information or help with things. Also, by typing /wiki in your chat will bring up Guild Wars 2 Wiki. This very helpful and I feel ANet does not promote it enough to new players.

a·chieve·ment – a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill
re·ward – a thing given in recognition of one’s service, effort, or achievement
en·ti·tle·ment – the belief one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

as above, no need to rush, there is no gear race at end game.

Also:

-get the 3 gathering tools asap, you can buy them from most towns, if you like GW2 the endless version of the tools from the gemstore are worth their weight in gold, along with the copper fed salvager.

-Dont use the map if you can resist, explore and keep an eye out for any named npc or npc in the midst of conversation – there are dynamic quests all over the place that you can trigger.

-worth noting you get rewards for 100% map completion that you will want at some point.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: Jojo.6140

Jojo.6140

Dont use the lvl 80 booster and jump right into the expansion-maps … that wouldnt end well.

Posted by: Hevoskuuri.3891

Hevoskuuri.3891

In addition to all of the comments above this, I’d like to emphasize that the game really has ALOT of content. This can feel overwhelming in the beginning and in my case lead to a quick burn-out; I personally found myself bumping into new and strange terms all the time, had generally no idea of anything, and got bored after reaching the max level. There was all this content, but it all seemed so far-off for a fresh level 80, so I didn’t know what to throw myself into.

The key in avoiding a situation like that is to be WILLING to understand and learn, from the basics all the way up. I made the mistake of not joining a guild to help me out; do that. I also didn’t get familiar with the wiki; do that, too. Be willing to learn what sounds most appealing to you, and you will most likely find it really fun.

Eventually, after the expansion was released, I started the game again. I learned the basics again, found a guild, browsed the wiki, learned fractals, raids, WvW, PvP, world bosses, meta events; it turned out great fun and got me totally addicted.

In a nutshell, keep an open eye and an open mind, join a guild, read the wiki, ask around if you need help, and most importantly HAVE FUN! Welcome to Tyria; we’ll see you in battle!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Don’t vendor all your stuff. Salvage everything you can. There’s a way to send all salvaged mats to your bank. It’s in the gear icon, top right of your inventory. You can then visit your bank at any major city and at any crafting site to pull the mats out. Sell the salvaged mats as they are or refine them for a better price while leveling a crafting profession. You can sell them on the trading post either immediately to the highest buyer or you can list them on the trading post for a better price. With selling to highest buyer you get your gold immediately but you get less. With listing and waiting for a buyer you get a better price but it takes longer. The wait can be minutes to days or weeks and there’s always a chance that the market will shift and it won’t sell at all.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

Excelsior.

One tip would be: Stay away from the forums.
On the other hand… Nah, stay away from the forums. The amount of “This game dies”, “This class is OP”, “This game does not get enough revenue” and other drama and end-of-world scenarios here are only for the strong-minded and veterans that know it’s mostly Dolyak-dung.

Ingame, well, I would reocmmend you not looking for tips and figuring out everything by yourself. This game really gives you everything step by step. There is no need for dungeons like in other games, you do not have to socialize if you feel afraid as newbie and often you can just attach yourself to a event farming group to get a boost of insight. Else, be, what you already decalred: DIVE INTO THIS ADVENTURE and don’t spoil yourself with too many helpers already.

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

Posted by: Leaa.2943

Leaa.2943

Excelsior.

One tip would be: Stay away from the forums.
On the other hand… Nah, stay away from the forums. The amount of “This game dies”, “This class is OP”, “This game does not get enough revenue” and other drama and end-of-world scenarios here are only for the strong-minded and veterans that know it’s mostly Dolyak-dung.

Ingame, well, I would reocmmend you not looking for tips and figuring out everything by yourself. This game really gives you everything step by step. There is no need for dungeons like in other games, you do not have to socialize if you feel afraid as newbie and often you can just attach yourself to a event farming group to get a boost of insight. Else, be, what you already decalred: DIVE INTO THIS ADVENTURE and don’t spoil yourself with too many helpers already.

Why most people are on reddit instead https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/

Posted by: Spacial.1683

Spacial.1683

Dont use the lvl 80 booster and jump right into the expansion-maps … that wouldnt end well.

This. ^

New player as well, though I’ve got several characters to lev 80.

Check how many Gems you have banked. Click your inventory, then the coin symbol on the bottom LH side. Then, when you reach lev 80, buy the season 2 episodes with the Gems. I only recently took this advice and wish I’d done so earlier.

As others have said, take your time and get the feel of the place. But don’t expect a lot of player interaction. Most will help now and again, when you’re involved in a group activity or similar, but few seem willing to stop for conversations.

If this game has one weakness, it’s that, frankly.

You can use your lev 80 boost when you know about the different races, professions and so on. You can only use it once. And they are not for sale.

Personally, I have 6 characters, but keep 2 or 3 as extra storage. Experienced players might say that’s unnecessary, but I haven’t figured out what to throw away yet and I don’t really want to be playing more than 3 characters in a game like this.

Posted by: altermaven.7385

altermaven.7385

Thank you for joining us in the world of Tyria!

That being said, there are numerous resources available on the Guild Wars 2 Wiki, which is run by the players of Guild Wars 2. You can call the Wiki itself inside GW2 using /wiki.

If you’re looking for something specific, e..g. info on Warrior, you could use “/wiki Warrior” to get that page (or a search result on the Wiki) on your browser.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions if you are unsure of something. Peruse this subforum, and someone (including me) will help answer.

First: take your time. Learn what your character can do with weapons. Learn which weapons your character can actually use. This can be found in the Hero panel, using the second tab, and looking at the left series of rows.

Second: in the world of Tyria, there are events. These are a good way of getting experience and coin — and in the event of a success, karma, which is spent on certain special merchants, such as the source of hearts, when you complete their tasks.

Third: don’t be afraid to ask if you don’t know something. Someone might answer. Especially in this sub-forum.

“To be rid of chaos, all must restore the balance.”
Part of the [PORT] mystical tour – “Marilee Mangletooth.” What main?
Something something Autechre fanatic.

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

I agree with folks here that the game is much better if you don’t hop to 80 right away. And it’s great when you find a supportive guild. It’s fun to explore and develop yourself, and the game does a great job letting you do that.

Sadly, the game doesn’t explain a lot of things very well. Finding a mentor in game (say, through a Guild) will definitely help your enjoyment.

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Dodge roll. It’s the easiest skill to learn and the most important skill in the game.

Learn it and learn it well.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: maximusmann.1263

maximusmann.1263

I just put this video up a few days ago, and it’s more entertainment purposes but it has some good advice for new players.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLA3GpmPMk8