Advice on Troll's End

Advice on Troll's End

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Note: If you haven’t done the puzzle, and want the inner workings to remain a mystery, stop reading here.

I am having a huge failure rate with running the Troll’s End puzzle (something I do daily, just because). I only am successful about 1 out of 20 or so times that I attempt to do it. It’s not any random point in the puzzle that I have an issue with, it is two specific jumps. Each one involves jumping from a plank of wood onto a stone column.
In each case, it is close to impossible to move your camera in order to see what you are doing (no thanks to Anet for that), and in each case there are collision surfaces which cause problems with jump height and distance. At least for me.

What is the trick to getting these jumps done perfectly each time?

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Advice on Troll's End

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

One thing you can try is orienting your camera to look down at your feet. You can move right up to the very edge of the wood plank (and even a bit over it) before jumping. This is usually what I do if I have to run the puzzle and there aren’t any Mesmer porters.

Advice on Troll's End

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

if it’s the jump im thinking of then there’s a trick to it.
One of the jumps has you on a wood plank, and in front of you are several stalactite (the ones that hang) it’s a deceptive jump, because the wooden platform does not appear to extend beyond these stalactites, causing you to jump before you reach them, collide into them, and swiftly plummet.

The trick is of course to defy conventional physics, and walk past them, the platform extends slightly beyond them (you can have about 70% of your body hanging off in mid air)
Then you jump.
This makes it a lot easier.

Advice on Troll's End

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

There is only one jump I have issue with in that puzzle. A while ago I realized that you have to jump a bit to the left rather than straight ahead. This is two jumps before you exit the cave.

Edit: This is the same jump Zenyatoo is referring to.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Advice on Troll's End

Posted by: Apolyon.6937

Apolyon.6937

A good trick proposed is to use some tonic that transforms you into something smaller… like the tonics from Crucible of Eternity.

I play norn mesmer, so I always open a portal in case I cannot make it.