Altaholic Cure?

Altaholic Cure?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: slaughterfest.6250

slaughterfest.6250

Ive been actively back in the game for a couple month, But my problem is every time I get a character to 80, I either hate the Utility Skills, Armor,Weapon restrictions, and/or the proff is overused.(Or I get bored lol)

Looking for a main so I can build currency, Leg’s, Ascended and map completion.
Not looking for someone to say oh necro is the best, no go warrior, etc..
Looking for experienced advice to see what their opinion on my playstyle is,

List of personal Like/Cons, then after, my personal experience with each class.

Likes,

Self Reliability
AoE and Single Target DPS
Support
Mobility
,I LIKE range, but Up Close is just as fun(No Bias there)

Cons,

1 build" classes(Not literally)
No Learning curve
No Challenge
No AoE or Singe DPS only classes

Personal Experienced, Biased.

My opinions on the classs I have/played
Have lvl \80/
Love Mesmer/clones and utility, but hate the standard Shatter and to me personally the Utility skills are for support. and the AoE leaves much to be desired, it is a great class, definetly a ALT if like to keep, just get bored letting my clones fight for you

Have lvl \80/
Engineer, Love the Idea,,Hate the Turrets survivability, and the weapon retrictions(+no real engi armor skins/ Excluding magitech) AND IM TIRED OF GRENADES! and I rearely even see my actually weapons, besides a rifle now and then. BUT if this class ever became more well wrounded, not Swift Kits, Grenadier, rifle and bombs ( which is basically one at a time) With, sad Elites in my own opinon(Great potentional though}

Have lvl \80/
Theif – Guerilla warfare isn’t my style, but I do love the mobility.
and my Charr Theif Armor skins SUCK, which killed it for me

Have lvl [46/
Love Ele, was a favorite in GW1, and I love the Weapon/attunement setup, but its lacking damage, I personally believe that a Heavy armor class deals more (MOST of the time) then any caster class, defeats the purpose to me.
Just the Skills in general need some work.

Necro, Ive played necro has my main in GW1 (besides Dervish) and and, im not really sure. The condition spread it sexy, some of the weapon skills are definelty commendable, but it lacks the uhDeath im looking for., the minions are alright but nothing compared to MM in GW1.

Have\27/
Gaurdian, Love the Support, great class, but its too kitten easy to play. Which bores me.

Have \46/
Warrior, love the armor, (the LB is nice, but underpowered imo,)and it has a lack of the AoE im looking for. Also (overplayed)<- which bothers me and if im not a Zerk, G/s – A/A warrior (besides PvP hammer) I get called a nub and kicked from everything
Other then that Warriors have sexy weapon and armor and actually decent weapon skill set.

- After playng Gw1 ranger, this class just makes me cry, Solo capabilities are great, don’t get me wrong, but 1v1 and pet death is rather annoying.dont want to even start getting me down that path lol

All in All, Looking for constructive criticism and knowledge. Feel free to yell or help me! Like I said ive played EVERYTHING just each class a s sip of what I want, which I haven’t gotten every class to its full potential.
I would love to learn more about some of the classes (necro/Ele/War, etc) so I could try them at full potential.

Bane Of The Legions (80 Reaper)
Duke Vindictae (80 Chronomancer)
Pain is temporary, Regret is forever.

(edited by slaughterfest.6250)

Altaholic Cure?

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Sorry, but you have to find your own cure. Personally I went from a male Charr Engineer→female Charr Warrior→male Asura Guardian→female Norn Mesmer in terms of my “main” choice of class. While I was playing each and every one of them, I thought I would stick to them like glue. Especially the Charr Engineer, which I played fanatically during the beta and the first couple of months. It felt perfect, but there was just something missing…

The cure for me, as it turned out, was bewbs. Just bewbs. Giant Norn bewbs.

Altaholic Cure?

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

I have an alt of every class, just because I like playing multiple classes. I don’t really view it as a problem. Sure not all of them are 80, but having fun playing the game is more important to me than having a super powerful character.

Altaholic Cure?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

To me it sounds like your playing one till it bores/irritates you. Your best bet is to have several professions then and switch between them. If you switch frequently you won’t have time to get bored by it, by the time you get back to any one of them they will feel fresh again. I have one of each profession and switch frequently so I don’t get bored using the same skills over and over and over again.

Just my two cents.

Altaholic Cure?

Posted by: Malin.2490

Malin.2490

I hated my Ele until I finally sucked it up and finished levelling her. Then I hated Ele some more. Then I found about the ‘fresh air d/d build’ and suddenly I loved Ele SO much. It did all the damage I was expecting from the start, coupled with fun and very risky gameplay.

Unfortunately it is not a very viable build until you’re max level… But try d/d in general, it is at least not boring.

Jamail Saoud [Nice], the man with the Drake

Altaholic Cure?

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

I think what you have gathered from these posts is there is no ‘one thing’ its an accumulation of things that bring it together and makes you think, ‘this is my toon’ (perhaps to only change your mind again).

My guard was my main for the longest time BUT I played my alts a lot. Recently however I feel Ive been forced to give up on my alts concurrently getting bored of my guard.

Now I’ve switched to my mesmer, after having done the Queens Gauntlet no less. I learnt a lot about mesmers and their flexibility and use of utilities since that time.

On a side note I feel stuck on my mesmer now what with the ascended gear being so heavily gated and WvW wxp now being toon bound.

If you want to be taken seriously in WvW you will be running with guard/leech stacks.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Altaholic Cure?

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Currency is largely account based nowadays, including karma and dungeon tokens. While it won’t help you in the long term, I think you should keep being an altoholic and figure it out when you’re closer to making the leap.

Engi skin that I adore: Aetherblade. However, engineer is pretty broken right now.

I went with my thief for world exploration. Lots of survival tricks there, plus great mobility. She’s a charr and the armor works fine for her because she’s a brawler rather than a stealthy thief.

Edit to insert: Mesmers aren’t really centered around shatter builds anymore. You should look into them and see how the new meta fits your style.

Also, I want The Dreamer, and shortbow was the kit that made me love the thief. Maybe pick your legendary and choose your main based on who can use it?

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Altaholic Cure?

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Ele is definitely what you’re looking for, though getting the damage out can be very complex or very risky (buffs seem to be coming though)

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Altaholic Cure?

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Reading the first 1/2 of your post I’d have said Engi, but it seems like the cons for Engi are super big for you. The things you listed are also irksome at times for me (I main an engi) but in terms of build selection, survivability, mobility, versatility, self-sufficiency…Engi has it all.

Ele is similar to Engi in those respects save for one thing: they’re squishy. Like really squishy. I just rolled one myself and it’s super fun, aside from constantly dying in dungeons. I’m working on it though.

Thief is tons of fun, has mobility and survivability, but is single minded (kill). I never feel as if I’m bringing anything to the group. If group support is your thing, drop thief. Also, Charr look terrible in all armor. Reroll your thief as another race if you love it.

I found the classes u mentioned boring as well: warrior, guardian, & mesmer.

I really think Ele or Engi are your best bets.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Altaholic Cure?

Posted by: mjhungness.8059

mjhungness.8059

I’ve got one of each class except for Ele and am working on my third capped toon (thief) to stand besides my Ranger (first toon out of the gate) and Engi (gotta play my real-life profession!). I found that for me, I loved really burying myself in one toon at a time – not necessarily to capping (as evidenced from my low number of capped toons). But at least until I just got tired of playing it or another class piqued my interest.

What is great about this game is that the builds themselves can dictate gameplay, and learning the nuances of combo fields, playing with traits, swapping out skills and rotations – that always kept me interested. I regularly watch ‘build videos’ on Youtube just to get ideas and to see how someone has approached the class I’m playing from a different perspective.

Also in parallel, coming from the D&D world, my toons have backstories that lend to making them seem more relevent. Bottom line, it sounds like you like options – don’t box yourself in. Be a free spirit and do what you feel like, even if it’s on a whim. The game is a bigger sandbox than most people think.