Am I being punished for playing?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

So I played for a few hours today, working through two zones doing heart quests and events, exploring, harvesting, etc. Then just a few minutes ago I went into a tougher part of the area (around flame citadel, enemies lvl ~70, I’m lvl 69) and after killing some guys and getting a few points of interest, an event happens pretty much on top of me. Did that one with one other player, then went to another one (or actually, the next stage of that one, I think). More people showed up for this bit (luckily – not ideally a two person thing) and we completed it.

I got really tiny amounts of karma for both of them though, which was pretty disappointing because it was a pretty large scale event compared to what I usually find (the latter part – a fight on the bridge outside CoF). I wasn’t failing to do damage or kill (I got a gold contribution I should say, so the low rewards were for that, not just getting a bronze or so), but my guildmate got over 300 for the last part alone while I got <50 each.

So I’m lost here. I’ve never done this event before – ever – so am I just getting lousy rewards because I’ve been playing for a few hours? All I’ve done is basically run around the map doing whatever I find. Are they trying to kick me out of the whole area? Or do I just get less and less the more I play, regardless of what/where it is?

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

I think there’s some kind of bug thing going on with the Diminishing Returns. I’d report it as a /bug and they can look into it. Especially since your friend got more of a reward than you did.

Posted by: Moon.5128

Moon.5128

Its called diminish returns, they are making the game terrible for hardcore gamers to make botting less desirable. And probably to let casual players not be far behind (Not only with Diminish Returns but also with the daily quests and stuff).

This may lead to a discurssion and my only argument here is if you try harder then others you should be better than others.

Posted by: Moon.5128

Moon.5128

I think there’s some kind of bug thing going on with the Diminishing Returns. I’d report it as a /bug and they can look into it. Especially since your friend got more of a reward than you did.

Actually the bug only happens on Dungeon instances if i read right.

Posted by: rook.4625

rook.4625

Its called diminish returns, they are making the game terrible for hardcore gamers to make botting less desirable. And probably to let casual players not be far behind (Not only with Diminish Returns but also with the daily quests and stuff).

This may lead to a discurssion and my only argument here is if you try harder then others you should be better than others.

ANet is trying to stray from that mindset.

But I do believe they can cater to both crowds, I do really, this game has the platform for it.

Posted by: Drintar.1246

Drintar.1246

Actually the bug only happens on Dungeon instances if i read right.

I don’t think so the dev response I saw said they located one bug that was putting people in a perpetual state of DR. I’d assume if you are in a state of DR it would be for any rewards as they specifically said the DR system effects everything.

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

they put in place a kind of karma cap, if you reach it the game brings your karma gain down for an hour or two, it’s part of the whole Anti-bot thing

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

the DR is only soppose to happen if you do the same chain again and again.

if its doing this its not working as entended and needs to be fixed ((and A-net said it is buged))

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

they put in place a kind of karma cap, if you reach it the game brings your karma gain down for an hour or two, it’s part of the whole Anti-bot thing

thats not how it works the karma / loot cap is only suppose to go off if you farm the same event for to long.

its buged

its a pretty nasty bug and it needs a hot fix befor the weekend… this is Fing people over

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

Yay, I love rules that I can’t know if I’m violating! I know you don’t want to show your cards to botters, but real players deserve to know what the expectations are.

LameFox.6349

I thought it might be something to prevent botting, but I don’t get why it would do this when I’m doing different events. I only repeat them in one session if I just happen to walk by as it’s happening, not sitting there to do it over and over. Plus, I was also doing other things there. I finished exploring/hearts in Iron Marches today and got a fair bit of the next area done.

If this is something a bot would do, there’s nothing I can do to avoid seeming like one, except just go play/do something else. Or maybe logging into an alt, but I’m not sure whether that works, and I usually prefer to play one character for a few days then switch to another, or I forget what I’m even up to.

Posted by: Math.6904

Math.6904

DR is unnecessary in the currently format, they should just remove it…

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Yay, I love rules that I can’t know if I’m violating! I know you don’t want to show your cards to botters, but real players deserve to know what the expectations are.

If it’s a bug it’s not working as intended, may not work the same for all players (bugs tend to come and go depending on a lot of factors) and they don’t know exactly what triggers it or how bad it will be. In short, they can’t tell you things they don’t know.

Posted by: ChaosKirin.1328

ChaosKirin.1328

Double-u-tee-eff, guys.

This is NOT working as intended. Karma in the teens (13, 14 in some cases in higher level areas) is 100% bugged. This is NOT how it is supposed to be functioning and this is NOT what ArenaNet has intended.

It’s not just dungeons. All Diminishing Returns are not working as intended.

To the OP – this is a bug affecting a small number of users. There is no ETA on when it will be fixed, but if you are doing events as they come up and not farming the same event over and over, you should not see diminishing returns that badly. Report it to ArenaNet.

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

It may be a bug – it may be working as intended. The problem is that we don’t know what rule set we’re supposed to be following. If speed limit signs on the highway said “Don’t go too fast!”, and you would get a ticket if you were going “too fast”, you would ALWAYS be paranoid. You wouldn’t know if you had tripped some ephemeral wire or if there was a legitimate bug.

Anet needs to clearly dictate what the rules are, even though it will undoubtedly make their job stopping bots slightly harder. It’s what’s fair to players and will help find REAL bugs and ease players’ frustration and paranoia.

LameFox.6349

Hm… I haven’t reported it in the past ‘cause I wasn’t sure what it should be. I submit a lot of bug reports lol, so I try not to get false ones (the best sort is the ‘postcard-screenshot’ of vacations outside the map area).

If it’s bugged I’ll try reporting it in the future then… assuming I can keep myself from instantly clicking the icon away.

Posted by: aeonZgamer.5307

aeonZgamer.5307

Actually I’m a fairly casual player and I can assure you this whole diminishing returns nonsense is affecting me too. Either the whole thing is bugged as of last update or they’ve got it so high they may as well just refund our Real world Monies and let us go elsewhere cause the game is okay until you try to go to purchase something

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

The fact that gold rewards and and loot are subject to DR makes perfect sense.

Subjecting Karma to DR makes no sense at all. A botter absolutely cannot profit from Karma. Everything you buy with Karma is soulbound, and cannot be salvaged.

Posted by: Prophet.6954

Prophet.6954

Actually, that’s not entirely correct. You can buy items with Karma, and combine them at the forge, or in to recipes to make things that ARE sellable.

However, rather then diminishing returns even being implemented, I would rather a focus be put on detecting botters, and not focus on impacting players who now have a constant nagging forethought on having to leave areas they are enjoying becuase they have “been there too long”. Or, log off their character because they have been on that ‘character too long’.

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

The have had this system in for weeks now and they only talk about the issue in Dungeons when it affected Dynamic events out in PVE. It’s a absurd that they have let this go on without any further comments or concerns. At first I thought it was a bug but for it to carry on as long as it has it’s now a system.

They are either trying to prevent bots which they will quickly find workarounds. Or they are stupidly trying to create a false extension to the game by making it more difficult to earn karma to buy top end gear.

Their lack of concern on the issue by not posting anything in these forums leads me again to state this is by design and not by mistake.

Posted by: ChaosKirin.1328

ChaosKirin.1328

Where is that Picard facepalm gif?

You really cannot believe that people who are getting karma in the teens in mid- to high-level areas are getting rewards as intended?