Am I just wasting experience?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Knoyleo.2349

Knoyleo.2349

Hi there. First forum post.

I own the full game with the HoT expansion, and I’ve just levelled my first character to 80, and completed the personal story. I noticed initially, my XP bar kept filling up, however, once it reached full, nothing has happened, and it’s stayed at the same level since, (pictured,) despite me earning a lot more experience throughput the final parts of the personal story. I assume that XP now goes towards the mastery progressions in HoT, but I’ve not unlocked those yet. Is any experience I earn until I have unlocked those going to be wasted? I was considering getting the Living World Season 2 content, as I know it leads up to the HoT content, but if it’s just going to give me a load of wasted XP, I might just watch a youtube summary of the events and go straight into HoT.

Or is the extra XP I accumulate stored somewhere until the masteries are unlocked?

Thanks

Attachments:

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

All you need to do is the short story on one character that starts the HoT content. You get 1 mastery point and unlock on the mastery system. After that all experience will go towards Tyria or HoT masteries depending on which maps you are on.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

Unlock your masteries as Yargesh suggests. Any xp you’re currently earning is not stored, so is being wasted.

Posted by: Knoyleo.2349

Knoyleo.2349

OK, thanks very much.

I went into HoT to unlock the masteries. Looks like I missed out on a lot in the Living World Season 2 stuff. Looking forward too going back and playing that.

Just a thing I noticed, though. When I went into the HoT part, my EXP bar went back down to empty. I thought maybe it reset once you started that section. It filled up a bit as I did the first story chapter, but then when I returned to Lion’s Arch, it wasback at full again, and told me I could unlock a mastery. Are there two experience bars now, one for Tyria and one for HoT? Experience from one doesn’t carry over to the other?

Also, as an aside, the HoT maps are much harder than anything I’ve encountered in the rest of the game so far. I was trying to explore Verdant Brink a bit, but every monster I encountered could shoot me down much easier than anything in Tyria could.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Yes the 4 new maps and all the other original maps have separate exp and mastery points.
The new animations of npc’s and attacks need to be learned since if you spot them you do not take the damage that can take you out easily. Only recommendation I have is to actually run around and do events in every map, don’t be worried about dying and figure out why if you do actually do die.
Do learn the pocket raptors, they are a lot of fun (not in a sarcastic way).

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

After you’re 80 your XP bar becomes a mastery progression bar. Each time you fill up the bar you can purchase a mastery with mastery points, with subsequent tiers taking more mastery points.

Different areas (for now, there’s 2; Core and HoT) have a seperate set of masteries. So dependent on where you are you earn progression for either Core masteries of HoT ones. This is why your progression bar was empty once you entered HoT; you did not actually earn any progression for HoT masteries yet.

Hope that clears it up.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA