Another one of those undecided Newbies

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Rhagius.3851

Rhagius.3851

Hello there Gw2 community, i hope you can help me through this decision
I spent the last two weeks trying out different classes, rummaging through every thread and forum about class balance, class choices, builds etc and i can’t for the life of me decide on a perfect main class, an allrounder if you will; doesn’t help that i don’t have a preferred way of fighting in games ( i usually roll everything sooner or later, but this has to change. see below).

My main Fokus will lie in WvW: Zerging AND roaming, preferably only with one class since i am sick of rerolling ( i tend to learn every class decently, but fail to master one completely, so i want to focus on only one)
i’d like to be able to partake in pve aswell, since i have to take a look at the fractals before i can decide if it is worth my time ( heard some bad stuff about lame AI and bad dungeon design)
everyone and his mother is screaming about how perfect warrior is in every signle game mode, but i find that hard to believe, since everyone must be prepared to face them by now; besides, they are quite boring, atleast until lvl 30 so far.
i am wavering between guardian, ele and necro, since they all atleast are viable in zerging, roaming and pve ( necros might not be) but opinions are all over the place concerning their actual effectiveness in these game modes.

so here is me pleading for some more input from your side, i talked with my servercommunity and they told me engineer, until i found out about retaliation; i talked to some wvw commanders and they just say: whatever, as long it is warrior, guardian, ele or necro ( for zergs obviously)

thanks for taking the time and reading this wall of text, please help i am pretty devastated about my inability to commit to any class so far and actually thought about quitting altogether, but i really like the game after coming back to it and it would be a waste to abandon it just because i want too much :|

greetings, Rhagius

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

I’ll be more than happy to assist you in game =)
I can help you find the class that fits your playstyle.

Add me on Skype and keep in touch.

Skype name: DreamyAbaddon

Posted by: Zygomaticus.7469

Zygomaticus.7469

I think you’d be happy with ele.

Would it be cool to live forever?

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

For all the different things you want to do, Ele or Guardians can more than cover it (though, be aware that Ele has a much higher skill floor, so you won’t be great at everything immediately, but can be much faster with a Guardian). Necros are great and tons of fun, but if you want to be running fractals, people tend to choose Eles and Guardians over Necros.

Re WvW, all of them are totally fine for zerging – Necro especially shines here, as staff skills are pretty much all massively AoE, and you are pretty tanky, particularly fantastic for holding bridges against quite a large group. But they’re not as good for roaming as Guardians or Eles … Eles are squishier, so you should try and get good with one before doing a lot of roaming (unless you don’t mind dying), but they are so much more mobile than Guardians, so that’s something to bear in mind.

PvE, they’re all fine. Some people find the Necro less interesting in PvE, but that’s purely personal, I think. I love them in PvE. Guardians and Necros can be pushed further, I think. Particularly Guardians can take on mobs quite a few levels higher. Eles aren’t so strong right out the door, imo. But that changes later, and they are capable of higher DPS bursts than the other two. They are, however, very squishy, so you must be an active player, whereas the others allow a little more relaxation.

Posted by: Rhagius.3851

Rhagius.3851

Thank you all for giving your input, especially abaddon for challenging me to his trainings course.
i will most likely focus my efforts on the elementalist, for the reasons you provided and taking the results of my combattraining into consideration.
i kinda slipped out of control with the guardian skills, while elementalist had a more natural way of taking control through cc, combos etc.
i will probably train a lot in the heart of the mist against lord blue and the class i can face him easiest with will be my main

greetings from:
a happy Rhagius

Posted by: XxXTheMaxxXxX.6057

XxXTheMaxxXxX.6057

Any class can be useful in all types of content if you’re good at that class. That being said, some classes by default are better than others at certain content. For example, guardian mesmer and warrior are extremely good in dungeon groups because of the mix of damage and utility that they offer. Does that mean that the other classes are bad? No, they just offer less raw DPS and make fights slightly longer. Only speedrunners care about your class.

Any class can be built any way. Your character’s gear type will be the biggest factor in determining their playstyle. The reason I say this is because I main ele. In WvW and zerging in PVE I run glass cannon staff. In sPVP and when I want to skirmish in WvW I use d/d and run with toughness vitality gear and go for longer battles where I outlast my opponent with ridiculous healing and condition removal. This is just an example of one class. The playstyle of each class will most likely change depending on your armor stats and the weapons you choose to use. Obviously I’m a bit biased towards the ele, but I have and 80 of all chars but ranger (40) and engi (2) and I can help you pick a class if you want.

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Any class can be useful in all types of content if you’re good at that class. That being said, some classes by default are better than others at certain content. For example, guardian mesmer and warrior are extremely good in dungeon groups because of the mix of damage and utility that they offer. Does that mean that the other classes are bad? No, they just offer less raw DPS and make fights slightly longer. Only speedrunners care about your class.

Any class can be built any way. Your character’s gear type will be the biggest factor in determining their playstyle. The reason I say this is because I main ele. In WvW and zerging in PVE I run glass cannon staff. In sPVP and when I want to skirmish in WvW I use d/d and run with toughness vitality gear and go for longer battles where I outlast my opponent with ridiculous healing and condition removal. This is just an example of one class. The playstyle of each class will most likely change depending on your armor stats and the weapons you choose to use. Obviously I’m a bit biased towards the ele, but I have and 80 of all chars but ranger (40) and engi (2) and I can help you pick a class if you want.

I just wanted to point out:
You forgot to mention (Traits) which is a huge factor on enhancing and building your playstyle as well.

Everyone is bias when it comes to their own playstyles, nothing wrong with that since it means everyone has their favorite way of playing their class.

I personal feel it’s best to allow new players to discover their own unique play style by experimenting and play testing their classes and builds in HotM.

He is a fast learner by the way… =) Can’t wait to see what he’ll become, I know I’m excited.

(edited by DreamyAbaddon.3265)