Any Idea how to make a safe trade?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Aury.1367

Aury.1367

Well, I dont know how to approach a trade in which no one has the fear of getting scammed. I want to trade my Sunrise (bound, unlocked skin) for 1000g. How do I want to do it? Someone sends me Twilight, I make Eternity and send it to its owner. And I get 1000g. Not a single person in my guild has it tradeable, sadly. Anyone got an idea how to make this more safe? It sucks in these situations that we dont have a simple trading window with another person.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

You sell it in TP. No other 100% safe ways to turn stuff into gold.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

yes, you press O to open the auction house. then you list the item for the amount of money you want, or you sell it to someone who is asking for the item already.
There are good reasons why a peer to peer trade window isn’t an option.
back in GW1 there were a lot..
sorry, A LOT of scammers out there. People use items of similar icons or names and then traded valuable stuff for trash. of course, I personally blame the people for not checking the items in the trade window, but I can also see why anet would discontinue the service after so much abuse

(edited by Amaimon.7823)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

There is no safe way to do what you’re proposing. The only way to trade items is to use the Trading Post or to send them by mail.

Anet deliberately chose not to include direct trading in GW2 because in GW1 even with a very secure trade system scams were extremely common. In that game the way it worked was that you put all the items and/or gold you wanted to offer into the trade window and clicked to show them to the other person. The button to actually trade didn’t even appear until both people had done that and both people had to accept the other players offer before it would go through. In theory that meant you could see exactly what you were getting before you traded and could make sure it was safe.

In practice there were a lot of ways to cheat the system. Here’s a list of some of the most common ones.

But even with a system like that what you’re proposing would be extremely risky and unfortunately for you all the risk would be on the other person. They would have to send you an unbound Twilight – getting nothing in return – and trust that after forging it you would send them Eternity instead of keeping it or selling it. It would be extremely easy for you to accept their Twilight, then block them and log off and either keep the weapon or sell it later on.

The best way around that IMO would be for you to give them something in return – for example you give them 3,333g – the (current) value of Twilight – so that if you don’t return the weapon they can buy a replacement. Then when you give them Eternity they can give you 4,333g in return.

On top of all that are you aware that if you do this the only thing you will be left with is the Sunrise skin in your wardrobe and 1000g? Forging Eternity doesn’t unlock the skin for it or for Twilight, that only happens when you bind it to your account, which you can’t do if you’re going to sell it.

But if you really want to go through with this your best bet is to buy Twilight from the Trading Post, make Eternity and then sell it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

What you guys write is 100% correct, but that is not the case here. You did not read what the topic starter wrote:
+ created Sunrise
+ equiped it to bind account-bind it (to unlock the skin)
+ now wants to sell it for 1000g

It is absolutely impossible to sell that Sunrise on TP atm. The big question for me is, do you understand why? This is the 2nd request I have got in 14 years onlinegaming, where a person wants to sell a bound item, after he/she used it. The last person simply did not understand the word “binding.”

Once you aquire some equipment in this game, you have a choice. Sell or use. Selling I do not have to explain. Use means you will not be able to sell it after:
- you equiped it
- you unlocked the skin with that item
- you salavaged it.
It is a one time decision you make. You cannot just bind it and then sell it after. If this would be possible, we would have 1 of each legendary in the entire game, which we trade between all accounts. I hope you get the idea.

It looks like you didn’t read the whole post either. He’s not trying to sell Sunrise. He wants someone to give him Twilight (for free) so he can combine the two swords to make Eternity, then he will trade the new, unbound Eternity to the other person in return for 1000g.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There is a safe way for the OP to unlock twilight to give up their own Sunrise and end up with 1000g of value.

• List Sunrise for 2999g, leaving the OP with 2549g after fees.
  • Put in an offer for Twilight for 3000g

Net cost: only 500g.

OP ends up 1500g poorer than expected, but still has a legendary and both skins.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

On top of all that are you aware that if you do this the only thing you will be left with is the Sunrise skin in your wardrobe and 1000g? Forging Eternity doesn’t unlock the skin for it or for Twilight, that only happens when you bind it to your account, which you can’t do if you’re going to sell it.

But if you really want to go through with this your best bet is to buy Twilight from the Trading Post, make Eternity and then sell it.

Forging Eternity should unlock the Twilight skin as well. Even if it doesn’t you can simply unlock before tossing into the forge. Having it bound to you for 5 seconds isn’t going to make any difference.

Posted by: No One.3716

No One.3716

Putting skins into the forge unlocks the skins that are destroyed, not however the new ones created.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wardrobe

“Removing from the economy: salvaging, right-clicking to choose “Store in Wardrobe”, deleting, or using in the Mystic Forge."

Posted by: Aury.1367

Aury.1367

There is a safe way for the OP to unlock twilight to give up their own Sunrise and end up with 1000g of value.

OP ends up 1500g poorer than expected, but still has a legendary and both skins.

Why does no1 read what I wrote? Its Acc-Bound.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Why does no1 read what I wrote? Its Acc-Bound.

Sorry, Aury, I missed that.

Then the short story is: there’s no way to do it safely. In particular, the other party would have to trust you to take their Twilight, without you being able to offer any sort of collateral at all.

=======
If you do own something unbound worth twilight + 1000g (or close enough), you can find someone to ask as your escrow agent:

• You give them the collateral.
  • The other party gives them twilight + 1000g.
  • You get twilight and instantly forge it into Eternity with your bound Sunrise and turn it back to the escrow.
  • The escrow distributes 1000g to you and the Eternity to the other party.

Finding an escrow agent is tricky: it has to be someone that both you and your trading partner trust implicitly. You can find people who have done it for others at reddit’s GW2 exchange or choose someone from the forums that has a reputation for fairness. (You can message me here on in-game and I can offer specific suggestions.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Aizza.4950

Aizza.4950

You are ALL forgetting that there is a weekly receivable limit of 500g….

Guild Officer|Head Recruiter|Strait Outta Kryta [KRTA]
SBI NA Fight Guild|4 WvW Raids/week Mail me for info
Champion Illusionist|Champion Shadow|Champion Magus|Champion Paragon|Champion Genius

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

You are ALL forgetting that there is a weekly receivable limit of 500g….

How the limit works is I can send you 1000g.

You can remove 500g today and then the remaining 500g will sit in the mail. Come next week you can remove the remaining 500g.