Any non-crafting ways to obtain exo sets?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: SmileOmega.2460

SmileOmega.2460

I’ve been trying to make exotic gear for several classes (viper’s for my condi engie/warrior, for example) and I have been having major problems getting everything for them. the HoT stuff you need is fine for now, but the major problem is that it costs about 50g for a set of insignias by themselves. So, I was wondering if there was any other way to get exotic gear that I haven’t seen? I’ve heard Verdant Brink does this, but I never see any groups, and can never find my way around that place when I do.

Posted by: logan.5846

logan.5846

The second to last story mission in HoT lets you pick a Viper’s box. You can get some pieces that way assuming you have some leveled alts or a bunch of tomes laying around.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

another easy way is to unlock the temples in Orr, here you can buy exotic armor (non-HoT)
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Temple_armor
Costs a bit of Karma, though, but hey

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

For Vipers, it’s more or less a choice of crafting, or the various armor reward boxes you can get through HoT gameplay. Not just VB, since, eg, the leyline gear from the Dragon Stand meta also allows viper stat selection.

Mostly, though, once you have the mastery, you can buy almost all of it for map currency and gold from the Itzel mastery vendors or the Whispers Keeper in Dragon Stand

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

For Vipers, it’s more or less a choice of crafting, or the various armor reward boxes you can get through HoT gameplay. Not just VB, since, eg, the leyline gear from the Dragon Stand meta also allows viper stat selection.

Mostly, though, once you have the mastery, you can buy almost all of it for map currency and gold from the Itzel mastery vendors or the Whispers Keeper in Dragon Stand

Bladed from VB only has Berserker, Carrion, Cleric, Dire, Rampager, Shaman as choices.

Leystone from DS is always Wanderer stat.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

You can obtain level 80 exotic gear from WvW Badge of Honor turn ins, a myriad of PvP/WvW reward tracks, as general drops, purchased from others on the TP, various mastery vendors in HoT if you own the expansion, and the Orr temples after completing the meta event to bring them under pact control.

Crafting is by far the most tedious and likely one of the more expensive ways to obtain exotic equipment

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: SmileOmega.2460

SmileOmega.2460

another easy way is to unlock the temples in Orr, here you can buy exotic armor (non-HoT)

the biggest problem is that it’s in Orr, which 80% of the time is also a deserted wasteland, and what’s worse is that you need to complete events to unlock the vendor, so he probably won’t be available unless I somehow luck out on people actually being on the map and not just gathering wood.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

the biggest problem is that it’s in Orr, which 80% of the time is also a deserted wasteland, and what’s worse is that you need to complete events to unlock the vendor, so he probably won’t be available unless I somehow luck out on people actually being on the map and not just gathering wood.

The temples get claimed regularly.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Like Illconceived said, temples in Orr are still done extremely regularly. Its not hard to find a vendor selling Temple armor

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Not too big of a fan of karma armor anymore. It takes time to gather up that much karma (200,000+ for a full set), and those armors can’t be salvaged meaning any runes are lost and don’t have the HoT stats OP desires They’d be good as a stopgap, but it seems to be more effective to do some dailies and just buy the named exotics: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Named_armor

I guess it’s not too black and white though. If one is in greens looking to get a exotic geared character that can farm stuff, then it’s not too bad of an idea since farming Orr to get setup coincides with temple armor. But given that OP is trying to gear multiple characters, I think they may be past this stage. Could be wrong, of course.

Oh yea, if VB looks empty, you can always use “looking for group” https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Looking_For_Group

I’m going to go way off topic, and suggest you head to the Living Story season 3 maps if you have them. You can buy ascended trinkets with any stat you want which will be a much bigger punch than getting exotic armor plus unlike exotic armor, these will be endgame trinkets. The only problem is that you can’t equip two trinkets with the same name, so you may have to switch maps to get 2 rings or 2 earrings. Bitterfrost Frontier and Bloodstone Fen tend to be my choices as the maps due to convenience and ease of soloing. I would recommend a character or build with a speed boost, and some other way of evading fights (stealth, leaps, etc)

Also remember Ascended gear is account bound, meaning it can be moved between characters. Though you’ll probably want more than 1 set eventually as it can get annoying.

The jeweler costs Unbound Magic and whatever the local map material is. Unbound magic is gathered by just getting events and doing map related things, while the map material is gathered.

It’s very easy to do, just a bit time consuming. I think that would be a more effective use of time though as all you have to do is play the maps and not have to bother with crafting or figuring out what materials you want.

In the meantime, you may want to do a bit of the HoT story to get the viper’s weapon box as well as try working on crafting viper weapons, which are also a more important component as well.

If I were you, I would cheap out on the armor (rampager’s exotic for a few gold) and instead focus your resources on ascended weapons, consumables, and good runes. You will save gold in the long run and may actually be able to skip straight to ascended armor. You can chalk it up to the incredibly questionable implementation of HoT stats which really didn’t seem to take in account the existence of their exotic counterparts.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Like Illconceived said, temples in Orr are still done extremely regularly. Its not hard to find a vendor selling Temple armor

This. Orr’s population is pretty strong, the only downside is the lack of options on the stats. You could also look at dungeons, although again stats are limited to specific sets.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

What we need is 1 new Dungeon with HoT Stats

So Players can aquire the exotic versions of HoT Stats Gear in a good way that is fun too and not just boring material farm…

I really really hope we can get just 1 new Dungeon with the next expansion
I understand that Anet doesnt want to rework the core Tyria Dungeons and that is completely fine… they have done well until now and still work well for new Players
But giving us a new Dungeon with all new Stat Combinations would be truly epic

HoT brought us ONLY open world farm where you rely on big Meta Events
And it brought us Raids which is not accessible for like 95% of the community and also usually already requires the right gear before starting it so it is no help in gearing (just for Veteran to gear their other Chars…)
I think Dungeons were a really good middleground content that is missing in the expansion (doesnt need more than 1 Dungeon per expansion)

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

(edited by Orangensaft.7139)