Anyone Use a Razer DeathAdder?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

I’m trying to find a mouse more comfortable than my razer naga. I haven’t gamed with a non-MMO mouse in a loooong time though. If you own a DeathAdder, how do you game with it in GW2?

Q-R, A-F, and Z-M, are all bound to things I regularly use now. How does one press 1-5 while moving with WASD???

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I had a death adder for a long time, it was an amazing mouse till the laser on it went all funny.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: bluemaize.4368

bluemaize.4368

The Naga has underwent some ergonomic improvements recently. The number buttons are slightly softer and stick up/outward more so that you can get better feel for them. I believe that they improved the hand rest grip and the selections of the grips. My brother had the old Naga for over 3 years, bought the new one and loved it. My brother in law also got the newer Naga and he loves it too and it is his first MMO mouse, and he is a die hard FF player.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

I don’t. I use an n52 + a mouse with a few extra buttons. Google the n52, then look to see what’s taken its place. I’ve used mine forever and couldn’t play without it. Not well, anyway.

Posted by: Akkeros.1675

Akkeros.1675

it is not very good imho for gw2. Too few keybinds and the position (which at first feels comfortable) becomes too narrow when you are trying to move the mouse and press the buttons at the same time causing the mouse to slide around under your hand.
If you just want to search google?, ck your email?, yeah, its great…but gaming? not so much

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If you’re not using an MMO mouse you’re basically going to have to use the keyboard more.

I don’t have a Deathadder but I do have a Logitech G400, which is similar but has 3 extra buttons down the middle. I reserve the mouse buttons for my most frequently used commands, or the ones I want instant access to. I have dodge on one side button so it’s always under my finger (I should point out I’m left-handed so I have my ring finger where the thumb should sit on the mouse), auto-run and F on the buttons below the scroll wheel, action-camera on the one above and auto-attack on the scroll wheel button.

As for movement I mainly move by holding down the left and right mouse buttons, or turning on auto-run and holding down just the right mouse button. Or turning on action-camera and auto-run and not holding anything down. I only use the keyboard to move when I need precise control or need to stafe.

I’m not sure what to suggest for that situation though because my solution is to bind all my skills and other combat commands like weapon swap to the number pad and use my right thumb on the arrow keys to move, and that doesn’t work if you’re right-handed. But if you take some time to experiment with different setups you can probably find something that’s comfortable for you.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Oenanthe.6549

Oenanthe.6549

I use the Razor Deathadder still, as it is one of the few true left handed mice around. I did try the left handed Naga but I found the thumb buttons were just in the wrong place and as I have limited space and use a smallish mouse mat (the Razor Goliathus, made an incredible difference to mouse control.) I was constantly hitting them accidentally as I moved the mouse back to the centre of the mat. I also found the Naga was slightly smaller than the Deathadder which also didn’t help.

As to how I play, using my left hand on the mouse and my right on the keyboard has meant that i have to rebind pretty much everything, but I have got into a pattern that I try and use in most games. Moving forward is done using the mouse buttons, which also controls turning. The one mouse button is used for auto run and the other for jumping, although to be honest I normally still use the space bar to jump.

As for key bindings, place you hand at the centre of the keyboard either on the numbers or on the centre of the keyboard, try and make it so your thumb can reach one of the ALT or Ctrl keys, using my right hand on the key board this is easy for me, index finger is on the 5 and my thumb reaches the ALT key to the left of the space bar. My skills are then bound to the numbers with the most used skills being the easiest to reach, the exception being the 4 which is my dodge key, I want that to be easy to hit. Everything else just works out from there depending on how often I use a specific key. Most used are easy reach, those I mainly use outside of combat are further afield. I don’t like trying to hit the F keys in game so I tend to use the Alt key combined with an easy reach key which gives a whole second set of keys that can be accessed (this is a hold over from my WoW days when you needed so many key binds it was ridiculous).

In short, find a comfortable place for your hand, and work your key binds from there, and use the Ctrl or Alt key to give extra posibilities.

And when you have worked out what is comfortable for you to use, write it down, there is nothing worse than having to press keys at random trying to remember what you bound somethng to.

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

I also have the DeathAdder (Chroma). I set mouse 3 to elite, mouse 4 to heal, and mouse 5 to F5. Then my utilities are Q, E, and R. Works great for me. I love this mouse a ton.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

I used to use a Razer DeathAdder until one of the side (4/5) buttons broke. The action went on it, and the button wouldn’t come back out anymore. Been back with my trusty Logitech G400 (previously MX-518) ever since.

Posted by: Dinosaurs.8674

Dinosaurs.8674

I’ve been using a deathadder for years now and I have mixed feelings about it. Since you’re interested in it at all I’m sure you know it has only two side buttons and you’re OK with that. When I started using it I was playing games where many additional side buttons were not necessary, and so it seemed like a good choice. Currently I have dodge and interact on mouse 4 and 5 (the side buttons), and I have special action key bound to mouse wheel press. I guess I’ve had practice from many past years of starcraft and dota, but I’ve never had any issue doing rotations on any class (including seaweed salad dance) and the furthest to the right I have anything significant bound is T, V, and F5. As far as pressing 1-5 and F1-F5 while walking goes, I just got used to using all my fingers to press lots of buttons lol. Of course, I rebound lots of stuff on my keyboard to move non-combat-essential things further away (e.g. I moved autorun to 6).

The biggest positive for the deathadder is that it is comfortable. Maybe it’s just that I’ve used it for a while but I like the feel of it a lot, so much so that I can’t really get used to another mouse. Which kinda actually sucks because the only real downside of the mouse is that it is poorly constructed and tends to break. The one I’m using now is the third one I’ve had after the first two had their right click buttons break (RIP to dota right click spam I guess). For both I was able to prolong their life by taking them apart and attaching some plastic with glue, but obviously you shouldn’t have to do this as a dedicated gaming mouse should have high enough quality plastic/connections to withstand a ridiculously large number of click cycles, especially for what it costs. I’ve heard similar complaints about other razer products, so honestly unless you really like the feel of it or you don’t play super frequently I would recommend getting something else.

Aside from the breaking every 1-1.5 years it’s fantastic but that’s a pretty kitten downside lol.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Reliability definitely seems to be an issue with Razer mice.

I had a Diamondback that came with my old computer and it was the first part I had to replace – the scroll wheel stopped working properly (it would just spin wildly) and the case as a whole came loose in places after a while, but I finally gave up on it when the right button stopped working properly, half the time it wouldn’t register that I’d clicked and trying to hold it down was impossible.

I replaced it with the G400 I have now, that was about 5 years ago and it’s been working perfectly ever since.

Although I also have a Razer Acosta keyboard which I got at the same time as the mouse (both came with a pre-built PC) and as a regular keyboard it’s still working perfectly. I’ve never been able to get the software working so I can’t program it, but that’s ok because I’ve never really wanted to.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

Don’t buy Razer, get a Logitech or other higher quality brand mouse

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

I’ve used a corsair m90 for the last 5 years. Software isn’t the most user friendly, but the build quality is solid as you’d expect from a slab of aluminium. Would love to try the roccat nyth if it weren’t so expensive.

Posted by: Maximus Delion.8719

Maximus Delion.8719

I’ve been using the left-handed Death Adder for over two years now. I really like the feel since it is one of the few gaming mice that is TRULY left-handed and not just ambidextrous. Regardless of whether you’re using the left- or right-handed version, the mouse is contoured nicely, and the side buttons are sufficiently large enough to be easily reachable for a variety of hand sizes.

Razer’s mapping software (Synapse) is easy enough to use, but it feels like it’s trying to be too sophisticated for its own good. It’s very insistent that you let it sync your profiles to the cloud and allow it auto-update the mouse drivers (you can turn this off, though). The drivers can take up to 30 seconds to re-initialize whenever I reboot (it seems to be a bit faster now that I’ve turned off the cloud sync feature). And sometimes the mouse seems to get mixed up about which profile is loaded (sometimes the driver is showing my “Desktop” profile is loaded, but the mouse buttons are still acting like my “Guild Wars 2” profile is loaded). So, the mapping software can get a little squirrelly sometimes.

The quality of construction has also left me a bit dissatisfied. On the first Death Adder I purchased, after about a year the scroll wheel started to feel like it was “falling in” to the mouse and wasn’t scrolling smoothly. I chalked it up to bad luck (or perhaps overly aggressive clicking – since I use the middle button as my [F] key in GW2) and bought a replacement since I really liked the feel of the mouse (and not being able to find any decent left-handed alternatives). Sure enough, about a year later my replacement has also started to have scroll wheel problems. Not quite as bad as the first one – there’s just a little jitter in the scrolling; every so often as I’m scrolling down it will jitter back up a little. Annoying when it happens, but not enough to make me replace the mouse. I also have a Razer Lycosa keyboard. I always felt it was a bit of a luxury item and not quite worth the price, but I bought it as a “spoil me” gift after getting a nice bonus at work so I could have a matching keyboard and mouse set. After about 18 months, it’s also started to have some quality issues – with the key backlighting randomly flickering on and off. So my overall impression of Razer peripherals has been: great design, but quality issues over the long-term.

When its time for a new mouse, I’ll probably look to another manufacturer.

Posted by: darkaheart.4265

darkaheart.4265

i tried the razer naga and i personality dont like it. the buttons are too small and cramp together. i tried the naga hex and it was too small but the buttons where much better placed. in the end, i ended up with the razer orbweaver and the razer mamba te. on the mamba i used the keys ctrl and esc to make combination keys with the orbweaver, so far im pretty satisfied.

you can also check out razers new naga v2
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-naga-hex-v2

i7 3770k @ 4.5 ghz|Z77X-UD5H Motherboard|16GB @ 1600Mhz|GTX 1080|Corsair AX750 PSU|Windows 10 Home

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

When its time for a new mouse, I’ll probably look to another manufacturer.

Whatever you do, look into a better (read: non-Razer mechanical) keyboard as well…

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood