Anyone know what happened to the Chef Vendors?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: bostrees.5306

bostrees.5306

They seem to be missing Butter, Eggs, and Peppercorns, and I’ve heard that renown vendors are no longer selling Vanilla Beans… Did I miss an update/notice somewhere explaining what happened?

Posted by: MeefChurrito.2793

MeefChurrito.2793

As of tonight those items are found in goodie bags humanoid mobs drop. I’ve started finding butter and chocolate quite regularly.

bostrees.5306

That’s uh… Interesting, I guess… Was a shock when I thought I would do some crafting only to find out I couldn’t stock up on certain supplies. Glad to know they’re not glitched out of the game or some such

Posted by: Fallon.4253

Fallon.4253

Was reading some of the forums and got the itch to log in for a little bit. Then I saw the cooking vendors were missing a few items. I restarted the game thinking it was a glitch on my end. I found this thread while doing so. Guess my restarting the game won’t “fix” it. I wanted to buy a bunch of chocolate to mix with my oranges. I was all excited to do some quick crafting only to find out I can’t.

Why did they make these drop related rather than nodes or just leave them alone? Did they post anything about this or are they making changes on the fly? I have a sneaking suspicion that it’s because of the guide out there that shows you how to get from 1 to 400 cooking with just karma vendor supplies. I don’t see what’s so bad about that since you still have to go out and complete hearts to get their cooking goods. At least heart vendors are a sneaky way of getting people to quest without noticing for the most part. Pure grinding is hard to hide and in my case hard to stomach.

Ah well, my mouse thumb doesn’t have a print on it anymore since I wore it off playing too much these past few days. Think I needed the break. Silver lining and all that.

I noticed while spell checking that as much as I didn’t intend to complain, I did. Sorry about that. I don’t do well with disappointment. I’ll probably consider new professions or just won’t level any till everything settles down. I’ll eventually get over it and go back to my 100% fangirl status.

Posted by: Nexxis.6804

Nexxis.6804

I am really kitten cause of this. The people who rushed through the game have had it easy. The longer you play the more crapped on you get. Put the vendor stuff back

Posted by: Garrand.1483

Garrand.1483

You could max cooking in like an hour with little money invested. None of the other professions could say that – either every other profession in the game wasn’t intended to be expensive, or this one wasn’t intended to be this cheap. It says right on the trainer that it is intended to be an advanced craft that requires a lot of karma and money, but required hardly any of either.

Posted by: Nexxis.6804

Nexxis.6804

How can you max it in an hour. You pretty much had to get to end game anyway to access the karma vendors. It still cost a fair bit of silver and karma. the only reason i played so long today was to get to the orange vendor (level 55 area) and then just before I got there I got shafted. No warning about this at all. They just change what ever they want and dont even let you know.

Posted by: Garrand.1483

Garrand.1483

I maxed it in an hour by doing what anyone with a desire to find out about such things does – I googled it.

Yep, I was 80 when I did it. I still leveled cooking from 0-400 in an hour. And of course they aren’t going to advertise this, everyone with karma would have dumped every last point into these items and then resold them on the TP.

Posted by: Caela Fizzletoes.2947

Caela Fizzletoes.2947

You can’t sell karma items on the TP – they are account bound. I also noticed they increased the karma price – I believe it was 21, now it’s more like 35 – and I think I saw a 79…

But this change will make it much harder to level up now.

My bottleneck was level – I’m lvl 37 and 240 in cooking and need oranges now.

I wish they would have included in the status update the items they took off the cooking vendor – no need to give advanced notice, but at least tell us what you change after the fact.

—Caela
The Fizzletoes hit Tyria!
Caela’s Corner

bostrees.5306

Not really sure why this topic turned the way it did, but I’m coming back to reiterate that the only thing I’m upset about is the lack of being informed about this change happening. Yeah, I can’t go buy butter in bulk at the vendor, that’s kinda suck… But this game has plenty enough reasons to roam about exploring, and ample opportunities to pick up drops from enemies to get the chef mats I’m no longer to get from vendors. People complaining about not being able to get up to lv400 quickly need to reconsider both what they want out of the game, and what the game is designed to provide for players.

tl;dr: sad face that they didn’t announce this change, happy face that the items aren’t totally glitched out. This game should be about the RPG side of MMORPG, not the numbers game that WoW introduced

Posted by: csebal.5936

csebal.5936

WTF is wrong with this forum engine? Every time i try to post something more than 2 paragraphs, it just keeps copy/pasting the last one..

Bah.. probably not worth the effort. Cooking was not fun or rewarding to begin with and now it is even less so. A joke of a profession, with trolling bonuses like +40% gold from monsters, non working bonuses, like +XP after kills and a general karma sink for anyone stupid enough to not just buy food from AH for 1 copper a piece.

(edited by csebal.5936)

Posted by: ChaosKirin.1328

ChaosKirin.1328

Posted by: Usagizero.3591

Usagizero.3591

a general karma sink for anyone stupid enough to not just buy food from AH for 1 copper a piece.

Eh, i leveled it to 400 before the AH even was ever working for me, and since you couldn’t buy or sell karma goods anyway, i don’t see how if i could it would have helped me level.

Cooking was a gold/karma sink, and i blew a ton of both on it getting it to 400. I gained a good 10 or so levels (off hand, not sure exactly) just making stuff. I’m glad i decided to basically buy 250 of whatever i could just so i could play with the discovery without having to go back. Even though i do have a lot of them, this is a beyond annoying change.

Posted by: Lightyears.8624

Lightyears.8624

I stopped playing the game as of today because of this change.

I logged in this morning before running errands for the day to bust out some crafting only to find the butter I needed, as well as many other mats, had been removed from vendors.

Now before you call me a drama kitten or say I’m qq’ing… let me explain exactly how I see it:

I play chef for fun. I don’t do it for levels, I don’t do it to sell rare dye on the TP, I don’t do it to get from 70-80 easy as pie. I legitimately like cooking in the game. I find it enjoyable to throw together ingredients that make sense and see that blue drumstick pop up so I can craft something, even if it’s too low to get experience for. This is a fun activity for me.

I am not upset because now I have to go out in the world and kill god-knows-what for a random chance at getting the materials I need. If this had been the system in the first place, I would probably still enjoy chef as much as I have the past two weeks.

What irks me is this:

I did not abuse dolyaks or static events to get fast levels and stockpile vast amounts of karma. I did not look up some quick-guide to cooking on the internet to blast from 70-80 in an hour without leaving town. I used the system as it was intended.

But because certain individuals felt the need to abuse the system, just to rush to 80, my experience has changed.

I played the game correctly. I didn’t abuse obvious bugs. I didn’t take the quick-way to the top using things in ways they were obviously not intended for. When you make changes to stop exploiting, you make changes that impact the exploiters. You do not however change things for the people who are doing it right.

I cannot and will not support developers who practice this procedure.

ChaosKirin.1328

Lightyears, the mats are really easy to get. I was just doing STUFF and ended up with 150 sticks of butter and a whole lot of chocolate. I really think you are overreacting, and I’m also one of those people that thinks rushing to 80 is a ridiculous thing to do. (My main is level 36. I’m enjoying the game slowly.) I love cooking, and while this is a small hindrance, it is in no way as enjoyment-breaking as you’re making it out to be. Heck, if you were on my server, I’d mail you all my butter and chocolate just because I know I’d be able to get tons more without even trying.

Lightyears.8624

Detailed patch notes need to be released during the maintenance time, or immediately after the client has patched. Not two days late.

I know we’re still in the early stages of release, but Anet cannot seriously be SO busy that one employee cannot simply copy and past a txt file onto the forums when a patch hits.

Lightyears.8624

Lightyears, the mats are really easy to get. I was just doing STUFF and ended up with 150 sticks of butter and a whole lot of chocolate. I really think you are overreacting, and I’m also one of those people that thinks rushing to 80 is a ridiculous thing to do. (My main is level 36. I’m enjoying the game slowly.) I love cooking, and while this is a small hindrance, it is in no way as enjoyment-breaking as you’re making it out to be. Heck, if you were on my server, I’d mail you all my butter and chocolate just because I know I’d be able to get tons more without even trying.

How to obtain the mats or the degree of hindrance is not the point of my post. That would be QQing. My point is that changes made to combat exploiters should have no effect on me whatsoever because I was playing the game correctly.

ChaosKirin.1328

Well, I certainly agree that changing things because exploiters are abusing the system sucks.

Posted by: SuperLuigi.3720

SuperLuigi.3720

How to obtain the mats or the degree of hindrance is not the point of my post. That would be QQing. My point is that changes made to combat exploiters should have no effect on me whatsoever because I was playing the game correctly.

What would you suggest? The issue was, people didn’t have to go out and farm materials, because they could buy them with low amounts of karma. What alternatives do you have to stop people buying cooking materials, while still allowing you to buy them?

And there was the other issue: how easy it is to gather cooking materials just inside towns. Personally, I think it’s great that you enjoy cooking. But I disagree that the system should not be changed for you. Even if you weren’t exploiting it, it doesn’t change how easy it was for you to get materials, does it? Is that fair to people who chose other professions? To the armorsmiths and weaponsmiths who need a stack or better of any given smithing metal, on top of crazy amounts of blue crafting materials that have to be farmed from enemies, just for a chance to get any significant advancement in their professions? And yes, I’m aware people could just as easily pick cooking up, but, that brings us back around to the doing things for enjoyment point you made.

Yeah, it was a fix to stop exploiters. But it was also a fix to the ease of the profession. I don’t see where cooking deserved to be special in that regard.

Lightyears.8624

What would you suggest? The issue was, people didn’t have to go out and farm materials, because they could buy them with low amounts of karma. What alternatives do you have to stop people buying cooking materials, while still allowing you to buy them?

And there was the other issue: how easy it is to gather cooking materials just inside towns. Personally, I think it’s great that you enjoy cooking. But I disagree that the system should not be changed for you. Even if you weren’t exploiting it, it doesn’t change how easy it was for you to get materials, does it? Is that fair to people who chose other professions? To the armorsmiths and weaponsmiths who need a stack or better of any given smithing metal, on top of crazy amounts of blue crafting materials that have to be farmed from enemies, just for a chance to get any significant advancement in their professions? And yes, I’m aware people could just as easily pick cooking up, but, that brings us back around to the doing things for enjoyment point you made.

Yeah, it was a fix to stop exploiters. But it was also a fix to the ease of the profession. I don’t see where cooking deserved to be special in that regard.

Cooking wasn’t meant to be easy though. It was meant to be an advanced profession, by acting as a karma dump.

Unfortunately, it was not functioning as a karma dump very well.

Instead of fixing the karma dump portion of it, they removed it. The correct change would be A. increase karma prices or B. plug the holes that are allowing people to gain karma at a break-neck pace.

Posted by: Tobias.8632

Tobias.8632

They could have just left crafting as it was, that would have at least been fair to everyone. Now we have a part of the population running around who maxed out cooking for almost no cost and the rest of us have to throw a crapload of time and gold at it to get on the same level.