Anyone planning to test Ryzen with GW2?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: moonstarmac.4603

moonstarmac.4603

Like the title says, anyone out there have a Ryzen setup in the works? I’m really looking forward to seeing its results in GW2 before I make my final decision on which route to go in the future.

Jade Council~ Jade Sea Haven [JADE]
System – Luna One: R-Matrix
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Ny4qqs

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

GW2 isnt exactly a common benchmark so we are unlikely to see controlled comparisons. While Intel pulls ahead in low res, at “normal” gaming settings on 1080p/1440p a Ryzen should keep pace with the best of Intel but reviews at the moment are all over the place. Motherboards seem to be the main culprits, with the popular Asus boards being poor while Gigabyte/MSI perform better. In terms of gaming, many reviews show poor performance, some show clearly bugged SMT and a few show excellent performance. Even ignoring GW2, it’s probably gonna be a month of bios upgrades before we get the whole picture.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

The game deciding factor would be the single threaded performance.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Should be better than any of AMD’s previous CPUs. It’s just it’s 8 cores/16 threads won’t be highly utilized, but that might help auto clock frequency boost.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

Important thing to note is that Ryzen is known to gain around 10% performance in games when you disable it’s multithreading.

I’m also waiting for benches. I don’t expect Ryzen to be top dog for gaming, just want to be sure that it can give me comfortable 60fps. If it can do that, given it’s great results on all other fronts AMD would get a buyer here.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

FWIW, it’s unlikely that any CPU will be able to give you a “comfortable 60FPS” in GW2 in all game modes, simply because that depends on single core CPU performance that is literally inaccessible thanks to stupid things like the laws of physics!

That is, we can’t make a CPU fast enough to achieve that, given the limitations of the GW2 client.

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

Looks like GW2 dev team need to make a bold move, time-travel into the future, around year 2017 I’d say and learn of these strange artifacts of power called “additional cores” that tend to be present in that time’s processors. Might help future-proof their game…

SlippyCheeze.5483

haha, yeah, it’s hard building something for todays hardware in 2007, when it still looked pretty promising that we would get faster and faster single core performance every year…

…but I assure you, as a developer, they know. boy, howdy, do they know how annoying it is that they didn’t do that.

Posted by: lilypop.7819

lilypop.7819

Main benefit of Ryzen to GW2 will be server side.

As far as I can see there isn’t much point in going past a 4th gen intel i5 on the client side so the recent three Ryzen chips are going to add little to GW2 performance – you’ll be better off waiting to see the costs of the 4 core Ryzen processors or even the associated APUs(due last) with an eye on laptops (giving the reduced thermals and power requirements).

Frankly giving how few games are making use of Dx12 now it’s going to be a few years before these high core processors are going to be a requirement for gaming-only PCs unless you are purchasing Xbox/PS4+ like games for your PC which begs another question! For the cost of the 1800x processor (or i7) why not just purchase an Xbox/PSP4+ when the time comes and play another game? All in 4K ofc…

I have also argued elsewhere that mmo-like games can’t really make use of more than 2-cores giving there inherent nature (i.e. you won’t see 100% processor loading on four cores far less 8, no matter your GPU if the only app playing is an mmo).

(edited by lilypop.7819)

SlippyCheeze.5483

It’s worth noting that in the industry, 4 cores is still the more or less peak that developers can use to capacity, in languages and toolkits that exist today.

Going beyond that requires either “embarrassingly parallel” problems where you literally have next to no coordination (eg: the opposite of a game client), or specialized languages, or both.

I wouldn’t expect to see more than 6 cores being significantly valuable for games in the near future, unless we get to some strange world where CPU driven effects are super-popular or something again, just because we have those extra cores hanging out.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There’s a post over in Account Issues with video of a player using Ryzen, for anyone interested.

Good luck.

Behellagh.1468

It’s worth noting that in the industry, 4 cores is still the more or less peak that developers can use to capacity, in languages and toolkits that exist today.

Going beyond that requires either “embarrassingly parallel” problems where you literally have next to no coordination (eg: the opposite of a game client), or specialized languages, or both.

I wouldn’t expect to see more than 6 cores being significantly valuable for games in the near future, unless we get to some strange world where CPU driven effects are super-popular or something again, just because we have those extra cores hanging out.

Basically if you can easily divide and conquer a problem like video compression, ray tracing, various scientific analysis and such, then it’s relatively easy to launch multiple identical threads with each processing a subset of data and get very high performance out of a CPU with a lot of cores. Everything else, not so easy.

RIP City of Heroes

ArchonWing.9480

Well, consider the audience for these new chips. They’re designed to compete with expensive intel CPUs like the 6800k/6900k which are meant for multitasking like video editing, streaming, or virtual machines. Not necessarily gaming.

Anyhow, it’s definitely a very interesting tactic for AMD to target things so specifically,

Would be a good idea to wait for the ones AMD releases to compete with i3/i5

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

Behellagh.1468

The R3 is 4 core/4 thread … R5 is 4 core/8 thread and 6 core/12 thread.

https://www.techpowerup.com/230916/pricing-of-entire-amd-ryzen-lineup-revealed

RIP City of Heroes

Dawdler.8521

Well, consider the audience for these new chips. They’re designed to compete with expensive intel CPUs like the 6800k/6900k which are meant for multitasking like video editing, streaming, or virtual machines. Not necessarily gaming.

Anyhow, it’s definitely a very interesting tactic for AMD to target things so specifically,

They targetted gaming specifically in their tech demos and fancy tech slides…

But yes, cheaper R5 will be interesting to see mostly because they shouldnt be that far behind R7 in gaming. Its really not a “true” 8 core, its 2 clusters of 4 cores with a comparably slow interface between the clusters, so threads talking between clusters is bad. If they can scare up the mhz on a single cluster to 4.5ghz it might be awesome… though I fear that hard wall at around 4ghz will hold them back.

Behellagh.1468

Which is why I like the R5 1400X, single CCX module of 4 cores/8 threads, 3.5 GHz XFR boost to 4GHz, $200.

RIP City of Heroes

ArchonWing.9480

They targetted gaming specifically in their tech demos and fancy tech slides…

But yes, cheaper R5 will be interesting to see mostly because they shouldnt be that far behind R7 in gaming. Its really not a “true” 8 core, its 2 clusters of 4 cores with a comparably slow interface between the clusters, so threads talking between clusters is bad. If they can scare up the mhz on a single cluster to 4.5ghz it might be awesome… though I fear that hard wall at around 4ghz will hold them back.

Well, you know what they say about hype trains. This is why I don’t rush on the door on anything. =p I already had the idea when I realized what they’re comparing it against. Quickly concluded it’s targeting people that want an high-end, many core processor but don’t want to buy that expensive processor and that x99 motherboard. Of course, if it games decently that’s something to plaster in people’s faces.

And of course, in these parts people have to be even more careful since Gw2 demands a specific kind of performance.

But yea, I imagine a lot of folks wanting to build something new should definitely keep an eye out for the quad-cores because thus far it seems like they know what they’re doing and whatever reaction Intel will do should be fun to look at.

So we wait.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Behellagh.1468

A new CPU architecture isn’t something you design overnight. You have to guess at what your market will need 3-5 years in advance and can be scaled from $500 desktop PCs to server racks. AMD guessed wrong when they were designing the Bulldozer architecture, expecting software using lots of threads with more complex math handed off to GPUs with their hundreds to thousands of simple floating point processors. Whoops.

Ryzen is considerably faster than even the pre-Bulldozer Athlon II/Phenom II cores. If you look at Tom’s Hardware review of the Ryzen, single core performance at 3.8 GHz is 95% as fast in Cinebench as the i7-7700K single core also at 3.8 GHz. Bulldozer was 55% of an i7-7700K when both are clocked at 3.8 GHz. Huge improvements, congrats AMD.

Now I’m starting to wonder if issues with gaming is a problem with AMD’s data interconnect from the quad core CCX blocks and the PCIe x16 controller driving the video card. Intel’s ring bus in their CPUs may simply be a superior solution than AMD’s “data fabric” interconnect (will you stop giving marketing naming privileges AMD).

RIP City of Heroes

lilypop.7819

The R3 is 4 core/4 thread … R5 is 4 core/8 thread and 6 core/12 thread.

https://www.techpowerup.com/230916/pricing-of-entire-amd-ryzen-lineup-revealed

Yeah the real gamers AMD bounty is going to be at the low end. Even a casual look tells you that i3s are going to be toasted giving the likely price range of the 4-core R3 being $120 to $150. Combining a R3 rig with a similarly priced GPU is going to give peeps existing low-to-mid end i5 like performance for half the cost!.

If you are thinking of purchasing a cheap PC with a high game usage, you wouldn’t touch an i3 with a bargepole as things stand.

Then consider an APU with 50% more performance than existing A10/A12 with built in graphics boosted to a similar degree? That would be a very fine GW2 platform by today’s cheap PC standards.

Peeps can argue about R7s only having 140 fps compared to 150 fps etc in 1080p but the boost at the low end is likely to be HUGE for casual gamers.

lilypop.7819

A new CPU architecture isn’t something you design overnight. You have to guess at what your market will need 3-5 years in advance and can be scaled from $500 desktop PCs to server racks. AMD guessed wrong when they were designing the Bulldozer architecture, expecting software using lots of threads with more complex math handed off to GPUs with their hundreds to thousands of simple floating point processors. Whoops.

Ryzen is considerably faster than even the pre-Bulldozer Athlon II/Phenom II cores. If you look at Tom’s Hardware review of the Ryzen, single core performance at 3.8 GHz is 95% as fast in Cinebench as the i7-7700K single core also at 3.8 GHz. Bulldozer was 55% of an i7-7700K when both are clocked at 3.8 GHz. Huge improvements, congrats AMD.

Now I’m starting to wonder if issues with gaming is a problem with AMD’s data interconnect from the quad core CCX blocks and the PCIe x16 controller driving the video card. Intel’s ring bus in their CPUs may simply be a superior solution than AMD’s “data fabric” interconnect (will you stop giving marketing naming privileges AMD).

Actually there is a very interesting youtube that demonstrates 8-core FX processors actually holding up very well four years after the initial release with current games. What seems to have happened is that as time rolled on, the games started to utilise many-cores more then the FX moreorless beat ‘superior-on-release’ Intel processors of the time. If things are similar then any move from 4 to 8 core gaming is likely to take four or so years to pan out.

As far as GW2 is concerned there can’t be much benefit in going above ‘new’ AMD 4-cores – other than a cooler/quieter PC and I doubt new processor architecture is of much concern with 10 year-old Dx 9.0c. All that is going to happening in time is that more and more casual GW2 players will be experiencing existing i5 levels of performance from stock PCs.

Intel’s market/profit orientated i3 layer is a dead duck.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

Important thing to note is that Ryzen is known to gain around 10% performance in games when you disable it’s multithreading.

This is a bug in Windows 10. Apparently Win 7 is fine. Hopefully, Microsoft gets it kitten together and sorts it out quickly.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-performance-negatively-affected-windows-10-scheduler-bug/

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

Actually there is a very interesting youtube that demonstrates 8-core FX processors actually holding up very well four years after the initial release with current games. What seems to have happened is that as time rolled on, the games started to utilise many-cores more then the FX moreorless beat ‘superior-on-release’ Intel processors of the time. If things are similar then any move from 4 to 8 core gaming is likely to take four or so years to pan out.

Now that Ryzen is out, I’d expect the migration to >4 core gaming to accelerate. I’d hazard to guess the reason we’re not already there is because Intel never had any reason to offer affordable 6 and 8 core CPUs and was happily squeezing as much profit as possible by labeling them as “Pro” grade parts and charging accordingly.

I remember when AMD released their x86-64, dual core CPUs. It forced a kicking and screaming Intel to adopt the standard and make consumer 64-bit multi-core CPUs, even leading them to abandon Itanium.

(edited by onevstheworld.2419)

lilypop.7819

There’s a post over in Account Issues with video of a player using Ryzen, for anyone interested.

Good luck.

Good video. Shows stutter free in-your-face dragon fight with probably 100+ toons – max settings bar high on shadows – with a R7 1700. I was very impressed till I saw the fps meter!

17 to 24 fps.

I am sure there would be little difference fps-wise with an i7. There appears to be no reason to play GW2 with more than four cores.

(edited by lilypop.7819)

Dawdler.8521

I am sure there would be little difference fps-wise with an i7. There appears to be no reason to play GW2 with more than four cores.

i7 lol?

I have no doubt that an i3 7300 or similar would have performed about as good.

But it really doesnt matter. Ryzen game performance is ok. It’s not great, but it’s ok.

People that try to “upgrade” from their 6600K@4.5ghz or something are just delusional – it’s a good upgrade if you are sitting on a kittenty FX, an i5 750 or an i3 2100 or whatever and have been eyeing a $300+ CPU. It’s an excellent price/performance choice if you’ve been thinking “man these 4 cores just isnt enough, I need a 6900K!” since you can get a 1700 + 1080Ti for about the same price.

Posted by: moonstarmac.4603

moonstarmac.4603

I have a FX 6300 and RX 470. I think getting a R7 1700 or even waiting for the R5 would be worth while.

Jade Council~ Jade Sea Haven [JADE]
System – Luna One: R-Matrix
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Ny4qqs