Anyone wanna help me build a pc?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: YoungOne.3268

YoungOne.3268

So I bought this fantastic game the first day it came out, only to be presented with the news that my laptop did not meet the minimum reqs to run the game! I now have some extra cash and I was wondering if anyone would like to help me pick out parts for a new gaming rig (since I know nothing about the actual hardware :/).

My budget is around $1200, and I would like to have the rig modern enough so that i would not have to upgrade it for at least two years.
Thanks in advance!

YoungOne.3268

I apologize if this is not the right place to post this thread :/

Posted by: Doofus Overload.4061

Doofus Overload.4061

I don’t profess to know a huge amount but i’ll chime in with my tuppence worth. It used to be the case where building your own PC saved you loads of money but I don’t think thats the case as much these days. Try a PC builder website (cyberpower and scan spring to mind but there are lots out there) where you can configure your new rig just how you like it. Hope this helps

I’m rather partial to some cheese on toast

Posted by: MarkusParkus.8467

MarkusParkus.8467

I suggest you look at.. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Running_the_game for the reccomeded specs and choose a ready built rig thats better than suggested.

I don’t imagine computer building to be for the faint of heart and asking on a forum will probably end in you being trolled.

Furious Scumbag, Raging Scumbag & Geologist Greywind
[NOX] & [Coma] – Gunnar’s Hold.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Build your own definitely. For $1200 you can have a top notch system that’ll blow the doors off gw2 and any other game for that matter.

I don’t think I can link exterior websites given the terms of this forum, but u can do a web search for 2 things that will help getting the most for your money. Search pc picker …..and computer deals (hint slick..4th one down or something)

Anywho that said

Either look into an ivy i5-3570k or a haswell 4670k
Either a z77 or a z87 mobo
120g+ ssd
500g+ 7200rpm hdd sata 3 (6gb/sec)
500w+ psu (brands actually matter here) no need to go overboard here either
After market cpu cooler (20 dollar ones are fine)
GPU 7850 or 660 or better
Case…get one you like the asthetics off as you’ll be looking at it a lot

Serenity now~Insanity later

YoungOne.3268

Thank you guys for the quick replies, I think i’m gonna do some more research into pricing before I decide on how to proceed. Thanks a lot!

YoungOne.3268

A quick question, I was looking at some coolant parts for a rig and I was wondering if you could fit default fans as well as adding a liquid cooling system inside of the case. Im not sure if there would be room or not because I was just building it on a site and not familiar with the actual case.

Essence Snow.3194

That would entirely depend on which case, but most do have support for common sizes 120mm 140mm fans…….240+ rads are another issue.

YoungOne.3268

Its 120mm default case fans, could i add in a liquid system on top of that?
Oh and i built like a proto-pc for price comparisons sake on cyber power.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1F6E9K

Look like this would hold up for a while?

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

OP, check the technical support forum for advice. People like myself prowl their to help people out as Anet doesnt tend to respond to many of the posts.

When u set up the post make sure to let people know what parts u have now to re-use like monitor mouse keyboard HDD’s optical drives ..case, PSu etc..even your Operating System(OS). In many casses a very good build can be made if u already have some of the parts than can usualy be re-used.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

You can also go to reddit.com/r/buildapc. Lots of good tools for pricing and building.

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

Posted by: ConRae.3526

ConRae.3526

+1 for reddit.com /r/buildapc or /r/buildapcforme. The people over at the latter will be able to take care of you, and eliminate all the stress about ordering what you need for what you specifically want to get out of your pc. Definitely google pc part picker, that site will help you immensely with your journey to building your own gaming pc.

GL

FĂ­nite – Thief
Integers – Mesmer
Nigyro – Engineer

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

tigerdirect has a lot of “barebones kit” that give you a good idea of what you’ll need.

They do the hardwork of matching up what is compatible with what, but usually (not always) don’t include a video card. The first one I built was around $1200 after all was said and done. The 2nd one I built was around $1600, as I gave the first one to my fiance to use.

I would look for a kit around $800/900 that includes a video card. You will also (may or may not) need keyboard, mouse, monitor (or 2), windows 7 operating system, cooling fans, wireless adapter, etc.

Edit: newegg has a 3-part series on youtube that’s great for a beginner guide. I also recomend newegg as a good online part seller, but I don’t believe they have pre-made kits. With that being said, feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I love picking out computer parts.

RIP in peace Robert

(edited by Ethics.4519)

Essence Snow.3194

Its 120mm default case fans, could i add in a liquid system on top of that?
Oh and i built like a proto-pc for price comparisons sake on cyber power.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1F6E9K

Look like this would hold up for a while?

Here is the same build not via cyberpower

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/15Jzq

It’s basically 174 bucks cheaper…….not to mention it tells you that the case picked does not have usb 3.0 front panel and has a better HDD. (granted the 660 is a 2gb but tbh there is really no reason to spend the extra cash on 3gb vs 2gb on a 660 rather than spending that difference on a better card)

The mouse and keyboard can be bought separate for 28 dollars
http://compare.ebay.com/like/380655778276?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

As for a cpu cooler…the one picked is mainly a OEM very basic watercooler. If you were to build yourself you can afford an upgrade. Basically any 120 rad will fit in most all cases even alot of itx cases.

Posted by: Stealth.9324

Stealth.9324

I can not suggest what you should get or what not. Instead, the advice will be more focus on how to use your budget wisely. So you said, you have 1200$ to spend on a comp. Here is how u should spent:

1/ Choose the Graphic card (around 300-400$), you already have a top perform graphic card.

2/ Choose Motherboard, (200$), since graphic card will do most of the work, so to save money, you can just go for a above average motherboard. Prefer to have 2 slot Graphic cards, 4 slots ram for further update.

3/ Choose the Chip (i5 or i7), roughly around 200-300$

4/ Choose the power supply,since you want as much as you can from your graphic card, so I suggest buy an external one instead of using one come with the cage (100-150$), you have the top brand power supply with enough voltage to handle 2 Gigabyte GTX 680 easily.

5/ Case (mid tower) 80-100$

6/ Ram, Fan etc (100$)

All that provided that you don’t want to build a coolant system for your comp as it will cost more than a basic one and by reducing the choice you can have with Graphic cards. Graphic card is more important than a coolant system, in my opinion for a gamers. Also, assumed that you already have monitor, keyboard and mouse ready.

I built mine for roughy 1000$ and it works nicely.

Kaane Moka – Champion Magus. Loola Illuma – Champion Genius.
Proud player of : team [uA] – team [TGI]. Australia base, now recruiting.

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

Building your own PC is easy

Here is a link to some very useful information and guides
http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Don’t forget a copy of the OS will set you back $100.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes