Applaud Cursing Ban....thank you Anet.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Eofkent.8632

Eofkent.8632

This is just one person’s opinion, but I want to thank Anet for attempting to foster community. I feel like I can chat, ask questions, and maybe, just maybe, say something stupid without being cussed out or relentlessly attacked.

I look forward to logging in with this realization. Community requires some sort of social contract in which there are consequences to bad behavior. A unmoderated community leads to consequence less bereavement and bullying of others.

What did Anet do? They gave individuals a voice who do not like an abusive community.

They look at each case individually so they are attempting to be fair and also, accounts are being suspended for violations with second chances allowed.

I would like to see others’ opinions who are sick, like I am, of abusive online communities rather than the inevitable deluge of flames.

Thank you Anet. Your attempts have created a community to which I actually want to return.

“I do profess to be no less than I seem,
to serve him truly…to love him that is honest…”
-The Earl of Kent – King Lear I.iv.547-548

Posted by: noblue.8640

noblue.8640

Swearing doesn’t necessarily indicate abuse. Just FYI.

Posted by: amradio.2513

amradio.2513

That really depends on the person hearing it. Some consider it offensive regardless of context; therefore, use of it would be abusing those ppl.

Posted by: Quicksilver.1578

Quicksilver.1578

The block and profanity filter is there for a reason. This assumes you’ve turned off the profanity filter for some odd reason considering swearing appears to offend you.

Posted by: Turtles All The Way Down.5608

Turtles All The Way Down.5608

The TOS does not improve the community. Every single player is guilty of breaking it, so it’s really just a system of reporting people you don’t like so that they get banned. If I get into an argument with someone and swear, and then get reported and banned for swearing, is it the argument or the swearing that is wrong?

This treats a symptom in the most fascist manner possible and completely ignores the cause.

You know it’s still an abusive community because it’s just another system that can be abused.

Posted by: Kalithro.6532

Kalithro.6532

Swearing… what year is it again? Ohh thats right as time goes on people get more offended by things easier. I wouldn’t be surprised if the diapers stayed on with everyone turing into a bunch of babies now a days.

Eofkent.8632

I agree. Yet, the attempt is to foster a positive community. It is a simple matter to edit what you say so as not to offend others. Why do people do this normally? To avoid offense as social violations have consequences in the real world. However, in online communities this is rarely the case.

Seemingly, Anet actually cares about community.

Posted by: noblue.8640

noblue.8640

That really depends on the person hearing it. Some consider it offensive regardless of context; therefore, use of it would be abusing those ppl.

I find that kind of reasoning really offensive. You’ve offended me, and I demand that ArenaNet bans you. Remember, all that matters is my feelings. Your intent doesn’t count at all.

In all seriousness, that kind of reasoning isn’t good. There’s a clear difference between using profanity as emphasis, or in a casual way, and using it to insult someone.

Posted by: Quetzal.9671

Quetzal.9671

That is true. This is one of the reasons why they have a profanity filter. No one forced you to switch it off :)

All is war in fair love.

Posted by: Nazam.1540

Nazam.1540

The same could be said for any religious figures name being mentioned or someone mentioning hell. Some people see the words darn and heck as substitutes and therefore the exact same thing as cursing.

Unless someones really causing trouble with curse words I don’t think they’d get banned, the people that I’ve known who got banned were being pretty ridiculous.

Posted by: Moonthrower.1406

Moonthrower.1406

The language filter is irrelevant. It is a client-side choice to use it or not.

Anet does not want it in their game and they will ban for it. THEY own the servers. Guess who’s opinion really matters.

Posted by: Nazam.1540

Nazam.1540

And it’s our money they want. Do you want to pay 60 dollars to be subject to the whims of hypocritical fascists?

It’s 1984 all over again!

Posted by: FXLEACH.9436

FXLEACH.9436

The TOS does not improve the community. Every single player is guilty of breaking it, so it’s really just a system of reporting people you don’t like so that they get banned. If I get into an argument with someone and swear, and then get reported and banned for swearing, is it the argument or the swearing that is wrong?

This treats a symptom in the most fascist manner possible and completely ignores the cause.

You know it’s still an abusive community because it’s just another system that can be abused.

>every single player is guilty of breaking it

Wrong

> If I get into an argument with someone and swear, and then get reported and banned for swearing, is it the argument or the swearing that is wrong?

Don’t swear in the first place, in fact, don’t get into petty arguments.

>This treats a symptom in the most fascist manner possible and completely ignores the cause.

Actually, the most fascist way possible would be something like: Killing you and your whole family. However, Anet clearly spell it out in the terms of server the kind of community they want to foster – if you don’t read that, or lack the ability to not be a keyboard-warrior with a penchant for swear-words than perhaps you need to work on your self-control, rather than blaming Anet.

>You know it’s still an abusive community because it’s just another system that can be abused.

Because…. wait what? It’s not abuse, it’s clearly written in the terms of service. I guess what is happening here is that you’re not agreeing with them and ergo you think they are all fascist – which is really just a shock word for something that is far less sinister, you’re playing a game that has certain rules and you don’t like those rules.
Oh well, grow up…

Eofkent.8632

That’s like arguing against someone being offending because you are screaming profanity in a restaurant. Again, you don’t do it because there is social consequence. You have a problem with it here because you’ve own accustomed to the power of anonymity the Internet provides.

The other day I’m talking with someone in general about how much I like the game and someone says “ur g*y.”

Great, I didn’t understand what he wrote because the filter was on. I should be allowed to speak without being childishly and offensively berated. Do I understand that this person’s ignorance and insensitivity toward other groups of people likely comes from a lack of his or her own inner worth? Sure I do, but that doesn’t change the fact that I don’t want it shoved in my face for just having a conversation with someone else.

>every single player is guilty of breaking it

Wrong

> If I get into an argument with someone and swear, and then get reported and banned for swearing, is it the argument or the swearing that is wrong?

Don’t swear in the first place, in fact, don’t get into petty arguments.

>This treats a symptom in the most fascist manner possible and completely ignores the cause.

Actually, the most fascist way possible would be something like: Killing you and your whole family. However, Anet clearly spell it out in the terms of server the kind of community they want to foster – if you don’t read that, or lack the ability to not be a keyboard-warrior with a penchant for swear-words than perhaps you need to work on your self-control, rather than blaming Anet.

>You know it’s still an abusive community because it’s just another system that can be abused.

Because…. wait what? It’s not abuse, it’s clearly written in the terms of service. I guess what is happening here is that you’re not agreeing with them and ergo you think they are all fascist – which is really just a shock word for something that is far less sinister, you’re playing a game that has certain rules and you don’t like those rules.
Oh well, grow up…

Reported for not keeping it civil. Antagonistic language like “grow up” and questioning my self-control make me want to fight you.

I will be awaiting your ban shortly.

Posted by: shaidyn.4016

shaidyn.4016

I’m not particularly pleased with the ban based on language, especially when there are two tools in game that allow players to deal with it already.

That said, I am THRILLED that Anet has a policy and is enforcing it. I’m so tired of companies rolling over for bad players. There are rules. Follow them or get the kitten out.

“Those who believe a thing cannot be done,
should stay out of the way of those doing it”
- Thomas Edison

Eofkent.8632

A fascist does not let you leave a community.

No one is forcing you to stay.

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

This thread has derailed into a flamewar between users. This thread is locked.

I’m not particularly pleased with the ban based on language, especially when there are two tools in game that allow players to deal with it already.

That said, I am THRILLED that Anet has a policy and is enforcing it. I’m so tired of companies rolling over for bad players. There are rules. Follow them or get the kitten out.

So instead of rolling over for bad players they make a system that bad players can abuse to their own benefit. Reported for bad language because even though it got wordfiltered, I know what you actually said and it offends me.