Are nodes in home instance worth it?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: vasary.9258

vasary.9258

Hello guys,
is it worth it to buy nodes like quartz, candy corn, ore node pack and so on. Or is it better to just travel the world and mine them?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Worth the time? Worth the cost?

I’d say if you were looking to make the cash investment back, then unlikely for quite some time.

It’s difficult to travel the world for items such as Candy Corn sans Halloween. On the other hand, you may pay it off in a couple/three years.

Quartz are rather uncommon out in the open world, I believe.

Ore, wood, plant, cloth, etc. are very common in the open world.

If you have lots of spare Gold laying around, I say go for it!

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

They’re not worth it if you’re looking to make money off of them. They’re also not a very good source of any of the stuff that you can get from the nodes.

That said, I like having a few of them. I’m not in a hurry to farm stuff like Ley Line Sparks or Auric Dust, so getting one or two every day is a decent pace, as I am working towards a full set of ascended armor. And the Blood Ruby Node will provide me with all the ascended rings I could ever want.

(edited by Olba.5376)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

In terms of monetary cost, gem shop & TP-traded nodes take a minimum of two years to turn a profit and one takes … over a 100 years. That’s assuming you farm them on one account, every day, without fail due to vacation or internet outage, and that the market price remains roughly the same.

At the moment, you can expect the Truffle nodes to pay off the most quickly (under 3 years) and Platinum, Ori, and Ancient are 4-6 years. Everything else (again, from the gem shop and/or TP) takes 15 or more years to break even.

Some non-tradeable nodes (e.g. Quartz, Sprockets) cost 25 laurels + 15g, which is roughly 35-40g, depending on the market. They have similar time-to-break-even durations

In other words, don’t do it to make money.

Also, as Olba says, it’s not a good source of the mats, since you only get a few per day, hardly enough to do anything with.

So why do people buy them?

• Guild nodes. The owner takes everyone in the guild through as needed, so the nodes do ‘amortize’ in a reasonable time frame.
  • Completionism. Some people like to own ALL THE THINGS.
  • Convenience. Several days a week, you can complete the daily gathering in your home instance. Some people find it worthwhile to avoid loading screens or travel.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

It is ‘sort off’
You get 3 ticks of 1, with the chance of 5, and the smaller chance of a charged quartz. You can currently sell the 3-7 (3most of the time) for a small 7s-ish. The charged quartz can be combined with a orichalcum mining pick, 50 bloodstone dust and a leyline spark, to make a leyline tool worth a small 2g. So I think with ~3 month you can have the value of 15g and 40 laurels back. Give or take a few weeks.