Back again!!

Back again!!

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Stygian.6749

Stygian.6749

Heya there mates!
So, i decided to came back after a qouple of years, and as i can, see a lot had changed!
Fortunately, the time i was playing i didnt commit to any particular champ so my question to you all is…
As i dont seem to recall anything of the game, is it in your opinion best, to make a fresh start so i can take my time with the game again? Learn from the begining etc?
I could jump with my hightest level champ into the game,which i did, but it just feels awkard the very least…i mean i got lost with so many that was going on around. Thats why im asking for some friendly advice!
And, i dont have HoT yet but planning to buy in a couple of weeks, is it best to start with it or it doesnt make a difference until later in the game?

Thank you all for you time!

Back again!!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Create a new character (don’t, if possible, delete your existing characters), and start from the beginning.

Don’t venture into Heart of Thorns (except to possibly unlock Masteries, and, perhaps, complete the first level of Gliding [you could try Lake Doric for HoT Mastery XP]), until you are familiar with the game.

That would be my advice. Welcome return, and good luck.

Back again!!

Posted by: altermaven.7385

altermaven.7385

I wholeheartedly agree. Don’t remove what you already have, just make a new one and work yourself back into the content. Once you find yourself on familiar ground, you’ll be able to work with the characters you have.

Do make sure to understand that for the ones you do have, changes may have been made to the skills/spec lines. Rework to your fancy.

In short, just slowly reintroduce yourself.

“To be rid of chaos, all must restore the balance.”
Part of the [PORT] mystical tour – “Marilee Mangletooth.” What main?
Something something Autechre fanatic.

Back again!!

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

What level are your existing characters, out of curiosity? If you take them back to the 1-15 zones, it should be less overwhelming for you and an opportunity to relearn all the mechanics.

Unlike the aboves, I don’t encourage making a new character just to relearn the mechanics, but if you want to make a new character anyway, go right ahead. Each class is a little bit different, though, so take that into consideration if you go that route.

Back again!!

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

I actually did the same… returned after being gone a couple of years. I played around with my legacy character (made at headstart) and I found that within a few days, I was almost as proficient as I was when I left. It didn’t take long to remember what I was doing at all.

Once I bought HoT, I dove into the new content with both feet and now I am cooking along pretty well.

If you make a new character, the story goes pretty fast. I recommend you make one exactly like your level 80 “main” and learn it. Once you’re comfortable, go back to your level 80 character and play on.

Good luck to you!

Level 80 Elementalist

Back again!!

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Everyone experiences a game somewhat differently, but there are so many subtle things in Tyria, I’d start over, personally.

And hey, welcome back!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Back again!!

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

I also did the same thing – came back to the game after a couple years. But I only ever had one toon, so I didn’t have trouble remembering how to play him for the most part.

It’s not a bad idea to try out a new character and give yourself a chance to relearn the systems from level 1. Maybe try a Revenant if you get HoT (the only way HoT really effects the early game). Then when you feel comfortable, you can always pop back to one of your higher level characters. They’ll still be there.

Back again!!

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

I also like to mention: if you go direct to 80, skipping all the core Tyria content … you get to do that content later, anyway, for world completion, or at least for obtaining all the waypoints, etc, for world bosses and personal story stuff.

Back again!!

Posted by: Stygian.6749

Stygian.6749

Thanks everyone for the responses!
I actually started over as a had one champ and that was a Necro. So started over with a new champ and i pretty much enjoy the experience so far, I guess it was the right way at least for me. Gonna purchase HoT in the next couple of weeks too.
See you all in Tyria!! And thank you all again!!

Back again!!

Posted by: Sister Saxifrage.7361

Sister Saxifrage.7361

Glad you decided how you wanted to proceed :-)

I took a 3.5 year break myself. I kept my toons, but I played a low-level toon first to relearn navigating the game itself, and then took my main back to do map completion in the racial starting zones to relearn that profession. That worked pretty well for me :-)