Back to GW2, help pls :)

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Lostcause.5139

Lostcause.5139

So, I bought GW2 a year ago or so and didnt play it much because all my friends shifted from MMOs to MOBAs (LoL), anyway now im back, it has been a looong time and I remember only few things,

-I was a rogue and solo questing (1-20) was a pain in the kitten , I died or was forced to back way too much, not very enjoyable.
-The Spvp was fun with rogue tho.

Since the game balance and meta changed alot for sure in one year, can you guys tell me whats the best class for solo quest and Spvp?

I prefer melee classes (or ranger, I love bows, I even built one irl), and by “best class in Spvp” I dont mean OP-faceroll-1v5 class, I mean a class that gets kills, Ill be playing this game for fun, not hardcore, so basically I just want a easy time questing and scoring kills in Spvp.

Can you guys help me choosing a class? :P

Personally Ive been thinking of ranger for questing (based on WoW, questing as hunter was really smooth) but I know nothing of Ranger in PvP.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I think you mean thief :P

Anyway, the thiefs standing in PvE really hasn’t improved much at all. The only real change is that mobs don’t drop aggro when you stealth anymore, which is good, except for a certain few mobs which now seem to completely ignore stealth and continue attacking you anyway. (very rare, but it happens)

For soloing PvE, warrior is best if you’re concerned about speed, after that is probably the guardian, engineer, rangers, and power or minion necros. Then of course the thief and mesmer can be used but have the same problems (certain mechanics were designed without and regard to PvE), and the elementalist has systematically received ‘improvement’ after ‘improvement’ over the last year removing any and all play value it once had, stay away.

As for PvP, if you want to be aggressive, play the Warrior or ranger, somewhat less aggressive play the thief, mesmer, or necro. If you want to play defense or utility, play the guardian or engineer. If you want to play the elementalist… go huddle in the corner and cry.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Lostcause.5139

Thanks for the reply!
Yh I meant thief sorry x)
I’ve made my mind with Ranger

Ill ask a few more questions if I may:

-when I left, real money would only buy vanity stuff or character and bank slots (not game breaking), is it still like this? (I mean, Is it still not pay2win?)
- Are the servers still alive? When I left, my server was full of ppl, in events, questing and pvp, is it still alive?

Thanks once more for clearing my mind on which profession to play

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

So, I bought GW2 a year ago or so and didnt play it much because all my friends shifted from MMOs to MOBAs (LoL), anyway now im back, it has been a looong time and I remember only few things,

-I was a rogue and solo questing (1-20) was a pain in the kitten , I died or was forced to back way too much, not very enjoyable.
-The Spvp was fun with rogue tho.

Since the game balance and meta changed alot for sure in one year, can you guys tell me whats the best class for solo quest and Spvp?

I prefer melee classes (or ranger, I love bows, I even built one irl), and by “best class in Spvp” I dont mean OP-faceroll-1v5 class, I mean a class that gets kills, Ill be playing this game for fun, not hardcore, so basically I just want a easy time questing and scoring kills in Spvp.

Can you guys help me choosing a class? :P

Personally Ive been thinking of ranger for questing (based on WoW, questing as hunter was really smooth) but I know nothing of Ranger in PvP.

I am Playing GW2 right now!
Get online and I’ll help you out with everything personally!

You can also add me on Skype!

Skype Username: DreamyAbaddon

Let’s game! ^-^

Lostcause.5139

You are really helpfull, Ill add you once ive finished downling the game (so big -.-)

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

You are really helpfull, Ill add you once ive finished downling the game (so big -.-)

Yay!!! New friends to play with!

Be sure to download Skype so we can voice chat kay?
More fun that way!

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

and the elementalist has systematically received ‘improvement’ after ‘improvement’ over the last year removing any and all play value it once had, stay away.

You are aware that elementalist is currently one of the top two classes for PvE and one of the most wanted classes for WvW, right?

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

and the elementalist has systematically received ‘improvement’ after ‘improvement’ over the last year removing any and all play value it once had, stay away.

You are aware that elementalist is currently one of the top two classes for PvE and one of the most wanted classes for WvW, right?

Do you have anything at all to back that up? I know they are played, the last ANet infograph showed that they are the second most played class, my main is an Ele and I am on it for over 90% of my playtime, but that does not in any way equate to being sought after in any content. Because I not only do not see that in game I don’t even know a single solitary person other than you who believes that. However the above is admittedly nothing more than my opinion on the current state of the elementalist, so if you have statistics I would love to see them. If not, well then you’re wasting your time correcting an opinion with nothing but a differing opinion to offer as evidence.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Grimibis.8512

Grimibis.8512

Everywhere I go, dreamy is. Dang man, I love this guy. If you would like informatin and guidance to be brought to your way, dreamy is the man.

Message me ingame @ Grimibis.8512
Skype @ luisownyou@ymail.com
Steam @ Grimibis

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

-when I left, real money would only buy vanity stuff or character and bank slots (not game breaking), is it still like this? (I mean, Is it still not pay2win?)

Yes, happily it’s still like that.
And you don’t even have to spend real money, you can always trade Gold for Gems although it’s always nice to support development.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

Do you have anything at all to back that up? I know they are played, the last ANet infograph showed that they are the second most played class, my main is an Ele and I am on it for over 90% of my playtime, but that does not in any way equate to being sought after in any content. Because I not only do not see that in game I don’t even know a single solitary person other than you who believes that. However the above is admittedly nothing more than my opinion on the current state of the elementalist, so if you have statistics I would love to see them. If not, well then you’re wasting your time correcting an opinion with nothing but a differing opinion to offer as evidence.

I do have explanations.

First of all, elementalist in PvE. Read this post: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1o3l2q/playing_with_a_larger_5_group_of_friends_need/ccol9eb

To restate what’s in that, elementalists have the second highest PvE DPS in the game, ranking right under thieves. They outdamage warriors by 3k due to damage multipliers in their traitlines and skills. On top of that, they can stack 16-25 stacks of might and maintain permanent group fury.

You will see mostly warriors in PUGs, but this is not because warriors are a better class, but because they are, simply put, harder to screw up on than thieves and eles. They are easier to reach optimal DPS on, while reaching optimal DPS on an ele requires people to coordinate to stack vulnerability and buff each other. In organized min/max play, however, people will prefer to mix classes, often with eles. In semi-organized runs where conditions aren’t 100% optimal, but the players understand class synergy and play competently, the group will still always benefit from having a competent ele who can stack might, drop conjures, and buff party members. Even if an ele has somewhat lower DPS than a warrior due to suboptimal conditions, the ele brings a perpetual partywide 16+ (often 25) stacks of might and permafury (which a warrior cannot) and thus contributes more to the entire group than stacking another warrior.

(Also, I’ve played a mightstacking ele in semi-organized and casual dungeon groups. Despite being glassy, I usually don’t have issues if I pay attention and if the rest of the group plays well and doesn’t go down constantly, since rezzing other people is the primary reason I get downed or close to downed. If I decide to run as a tougher build, usually 10/0/0/30/30, I can usually serve as an anchor or bring down bosses solo if everyone else wipes.)

You can see this same effect with rangers- though their max-DPS-if-all-conditions-are-met is lower than a warrior’s, they provide a partywide precision boost and a partywide raw damage boost of 7%, making it more desirable to run a ranger instead of another warrior. Like with eles, though, the skill floor for ranger is higher than that of warriors.

That’s only looking at dungeons. In open-world stuff, elementalists are a major backbone of Tequatl frontline squads. Conjure Ice Bow’s fourth skill does massive AoE damage, especially to large structural objects. (It should also be noted that eles are wanted for this same reason in AC exp runs.) I also have no issue soloing any group events or champions I come across as an elementalist.

Now, WvW-wise, you’re not going to make up the bulk of a zerg out of elementalists, in the same way you wouldn’t make a zerg out of mesmers or necros. However, practically every zerg will have a number of staff elementalists on hand, especially organized guild groups. This is due to the fact that staff eles provide:

-Very high AoE DPS (look up the Meteor Shower + Tornado trick)
-Water fields (a major source of healing for zergs) and wind fields (usually saved for battles, but a source of swiftness outside of battles). No other class can provide wind fields, and the only other classes capable of making water fields are rangers and engineers (both of which sacrifice their dedicated self-heals in order to do so, and both of which contribute less than an ele does in other categories).
-AoE CC- see Static Field, Frozen Ground, and Unsteady Ground.

I had a fairly recent (about 3 months old) reddit thread asking what the most useful WvW profession was. Almost every post in it mentioned staff elementalist. I’m trying to find it again (keep getting stuff that’s a year old), but I’ll post it here if I can find it.

The one field elementalists are currently weak in is sPvP, but in WvW and PvE they’re in a pretty good spot.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

(edited by Falunel.7645)

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

You can see this same effect with rangers- though their max-DPS-if-all-conditions-are-met is lower than a warrior’s, they provide a partywide precision boost and a partywide raw damage boost of 7%, making it more desirable to run a ranger instead of another warrior. Like with eles, though, the skill floor for ranger is higher than that of warriors.

Actually their max dps if all conditions are met is greater than a warrior’s. Condition rangers are ridiculously powerful.

Power rangers (LOL) on the other hand, are EXTREMELY weak due to low power multipliers on their skills.

Aside from that, the rest of your post is more or less correct, and it’s unfortunate that more people don’t know it.