Bad sylvari character creation.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Akroma.5238

Akroma.5238

Have anyone been able to actually make a beatiful Sylvari female? Cause I’ve been trying for hours and once I finally settle for something that looks okay, it gets utterly destroyed by the first NPC you meet, Caithe. She actually looks great, whereas every sylvari female character I’ve made can’t even compare. If you feel like the Sylvari character creation is great and not lacking, PLEASE post a screen shot of your female Sylvari. At this moment it is preventing me from playing the game as Sylvari is the race I want to play but looks are very important to me and I don’t want my character to look bad.

Posted by: draeath.8536

draeath.8536

Mine looks fine. Will post a screen shortly.

EDIT: attached.
EDIT: attached another view.

Attachments:

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Corvax.1675

Corvax.1675

Well, I tried all the races at first, and managed to create an astonishingly attractive female. Did not play her, however. I simply can’t get over the fact that a wooden creature has teats. :-P I know, I know, it’s a fantasy game. Probably later.

draeath.8536

Not all plants are made of wood

Ironically, the image I just linked to there is actually the plant’s equivalent of an animal’s genitalia. Food for thought.

Posted by: Corvax.1675

Corvax.1675

Very good point, my friend!

draeath.8536

Oh! Plants are also “mobile” – just not in a time scale that is easy for us to observe.

Posted by: ituhata.6830

ituhata.6830

I think my Sylvari is pretty pollinateable.

Caelthras – Fort Aspenwood
3rd Flora Artillery Unit

Akroma.5238

I just do NOT understand why they made these 8 face presets when the first NPC you meet has a better face preset than anything you can create yourself. Mr. Draeath, the second screenshot looks nice, but thats with half your characters face covered by a mask. I’m really having a hard time dealing with this since Sylvari seem like an awesome race! Oh, if the character creation was just a little better…

ituhata.6830

3rd Flora Artillery Unit

draeath.8536

That’s the same face I chose, just with different colors and some of the face sliders moved about…

Posted by: Leben.5647

Leben.5647

The concept of beauty is very subjective, but Ive had no problems making a sylvari that Im happy with.

Officer of [VILE] (Desolation) and all round unpleasant chap.

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

I think my sylvari looks adorable. Just a matter of taste then?

Akroma.5238

@Ituhata That actually looks nice. I’m impressed.

draeath.8536

@Ituhata That actually looks nice. I’m impressed.

Agreed, a good job done.

Though I think the blues clash with the leather/earthy dyes on the armor – try giving it some blue on the accents? I think “Teal Jeans” (one of the ones you start with) would fit.

ituhata.6830

Thanks. The presets allow you to get close to the look you want, the sliders allow you to mold that face fairly precisely. I was pretty methodical about it, with the eye size, slant, pupil size, nose bridge and width, mouth width and fullness, chin and cheeks. I literally spent 45 minutes in character creation making her just the way I wanted her to look.

I actually could have rolled with the one preset with the double creased line that runs across the nose and all the way down the face, I could have made that look sharp too. =)

Though I think the blues clash with the leather/earthy dyes on the armor – try giving it some blue on the accents? I think “Teal Jeans” (one of the ones you start with) would fit.

I was actually going to try that, I’ve gotten a ton of dyes that I haven’t messed with yet. I’m having a hard time moving off hte brown, it gives my character a ‘rangery’ feel, I also could have gone with brown and green like Robin Hood.

3rd Flora Artillery Unit

draeath.8536

Thanks. The presets allow you to get close to the look you want, the sliders allow you to mold that face fairly precisely. I was pretty methodical about it, with the eye size, slant, pupil size, nose bridge and width, mouth width and fullness, chin and cheeks. I literally spent 45 minutes in character creation making her just the way I wanted her to look.

I actually could have rolled with the one preset with the double creased line that runs across the nose and all the way down the face, I could have made that look sharp too. =)

I was actually going to try that, I’ve gotten a ton of dyes that I haven’t messed with yet. I’m having a hard time moving off hte brown, it gives my character a ‘rangery’ feel, I also could have gone with brown and green like Robin Hood.

You sound just like me! I do the same thing. My friends think it’s silly, but then they are always impressed with the results.

I know what you mean about the rangery look. You saw my own screenshots above, right? Though, even when I do use colors I still try to keep straps/belts etc leather toned. I usually only put flashy colors on the trim.

Akroma.5238

@ituhata Do you remember what hair color you used? Can’t seem to find one that matches.

ituhata.6830

I’d have to go back into the character creator but since I chose a pale blue body with deep purple accents I made the hair some form of dark purple with sky blue accents.

Keep in mind you have an over arrow for additional colors.

Draeath yeah, I knew this was going to be a good game when I could literally spend that much time getting my character together! XD

EDIT: Testing it out, apparently the secondary color for hair is missing?

AHA! It’s glow color that does the blue accents. It’s ‘Streamlet’ with glow intensity on max.

3rd Flora Artillery Unit

(edited by ituhata.6830)

Akroma.5238

Alright!! With the help of ituhata I’ve managed to make something I can agree with and I can actually play the game! Yipieeeee!

ituhata.6830

You are welcome :p

3rd Flora Artillery Unit

Posted by: SHIFU.9726

SHIFU.9726

I am a walking plant myself. I think I look rather cool!

Posted by: Daientei.6829

Daientei.6829

I tried making one in character creation and i think i did a pretty good job ^ ^.

Attachments:

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

I think this just goes to show that aesthetics are somewhat subjective.

Caithe certainly isn’t ugly, but I have never thought she was the “most beautiful sylvari”. I think she’s fairly human-looking (which is appealing to some if that’s the direction you want to go), and when making a playable sylvari, I tend to stick to the more plant-like designs.

I also feel like this is saying you can’t date a woman because none of them are as beautiful as Marilyn Monroe or whoever. :-p

Posted by: Zalastra.6290

Zalastra.6290

oh wow LOL really? Because in your opinion there’s no option to create a beautiful Sylvari it’s bad???? You do realize this is entirely subjective….

There’s plenty of options to choose from, sure we’d all like to have more options, but that doesn’t mean the current ones are lacking.

Btw given the lore on Sylvari I think it is bad to even have the difference between males and females but that’s an entirely different subject.

Posted by: MikeRocks.9243

MikeRocks.9243

I’ll have to post a picture of mine once I get home. I could not for the life of me come up with a Sylvari design I liked. I eventually stumbled on one when I decided to stop trying to make her look like a human. Now she’s a light purple with dark blue ‘hair’ and pure black eyes. The distinctive ‘alieness’ of it all actually has made her pretty appealing.

Honestly, though, Sylvari are still my least favorite race. Or, more appropriately, the least aesthetically pleasing to me. It used to be Asura, but then I made one of the most adorable Asura in the universe and have thusly changed my opinion.

The Long Road
Goal: To have one character of every race, gender, and armor class combination at level 80.
Current progress: Human 4/6 | Charr 1/6 | Norn 1/6 | Sylvari 1/6 | Asura 1/6 | Total: 8/30