Baffled by undiscovered vista

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Abeezil.2936

Abeezil.2936

I got my Asura Engineer to level 40 before I really caught on to these vista things and began giving them a try.

So I went back to Metrica Province and began doing them one by one. I got better as I went along – got better at figuring out where to go and what to do.

But one has me completely baffled. It’s in Muridian Uplands. You go jump, jump, jump to a stone ledge and then you’re supposed to leap to a hammock-like thing. I’ve tried 35 times now and never can make the jump no matter how I position my character on the ledge.

I keep seeing other people doing it with no problem while I crash to the ground. I’ve watched several videos, read up on a few websites, but all I can see is that I seem to be doing it right except for that huge leap.

Any suggestions, please?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Try using a speed buff? Almost every profession has a way to give themselves swiftness. If you’re an engineer you ckittene your rifle to jump shot btw.

You know I just thought of something else too. Try going to the highest point you’re jumping from and aim to the lowest point you’re jumping too. If you’re jumping down you get a bit more distance.

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

If I remember correctly there are 2 tricky spots for that vista. After jumping over to the first awning, jump up to the highest point on that awning and then over to the one in the middle. The other tricky spot is when going up the surface of the rock as far as you can then you have to jump over the ridge to the other side. That particular maneuver is required in many vistas and jumping puzzles.

Oh wait a minute I see you are having trouble getting over to the first awning. Yes that is difficult too. Backup so you can take a running leap. And yes having a speed buff helps. So I guess that makes 3 tricky spots.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

You don’t need a speed buff. I just went to see what the trick was and let me preface that I’m not the most coordinated jumper in the world, I get tripped up on minor ledges that you should be able to hop onto, and the jump is easy as long as you start in the right place, which is the trick.

You have to be on the top most block, the very narrow one, go right to the edge and do a simple forward jump. No chance at under or over shooting as long as you are moving forward during the jump. The landing zone is quite wide. You just need to above your landing zone when you start. But it’s easy to think you are high enough and you will always fail if you aren’t. And yes I do a standing jump. It’s too easy to jump early if you are moving.

Attachments:

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Abeezil.2936

Thanks, all. I did it after a couple of tries using a speed buff and making it a running jump. Definitely, getting on just right to that sling or hammock thing is the hardest part. But I’m learning from each one of these things I do, so it’s upward and onward…..

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’ll highlight what Behellagh said as it will help you in all the jumping you’ll need to do — move forward during the jump. If you let go of the move forward button you will plummet in place (handy if you do it on purpose to drop onto a narrow pillar). You also can steer mid air to curve around corners. Jump physics are rather bizarre in this game.

(edited by Donari.5237)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Huh. I’ve always jumped to that hammock from the far left, not the far right. I’ve never had problems from that spot.

Behellagh.1468

I later figured out I could do that to, just I missed the first time so I went up higher. When I went to take the screen shot there were a few players also doing that Vista and they had a mix success rate on that first jump while moving.

RIP City of Heroes

Abeezil.2936

I watched so many other people just going leap, leap, leap and disappearing before my eyes to do it successfully. I began to wonder if it was because I’m playing an Asura and thought maybe taller, more powerful races like Charr and Norn had an advantage…… lol

While I’m in here, though, how do you divide a stack of buffs or anything else? I have five speed buffs on my Asura and would like to put a couple in the bank for my other character. I couldn’t find this information anywhere. In WoW it was shift/left click on the stack, but that doesn’t work in this game.

Behellagh.1468

Alt drag, you will then be prompted for the amount of one stack when you release the stack.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

One thing that a lot of people don’t do is bind a key to sheathe their weapons. When you’re carrying your weapons at the ready you will run slower. The character automatically sheathes their weapons after a brief period out of combat, but you can bind a key in your controls to force it. This is probably what is tripping you up. When you fall and take damage, your character pulls their weapons, so you’ll be in combat and with weapons drawn thus you are moving at the slowest speed in the game.

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

You ckittene the mouse to turn during movement. In some jumps, this is necessary.

For such jumps, I recommend turning down the graphical settings of the game, because the controls for turning the camera can get sluggish on higher settings with lower-end video cards, and this reduces your maneuverability in general. (Although it is usually only an issue if you require very precise positioning and/or timing while turning your camera view.)

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

One thing that a lot of people don’t do is bind a key to sheathe their weapons. When you’re carrying your weapons at the ready you will run slower. The character automatically sheathes their weapons after a brief period out of combat, but you can bind a key in your controls to force it. This is probably what is tripping you up. When you fall and take damage, your character pulls their weapons, so you’ll be in combat and with weapons drawn thus you are moving at the slowest speed in the game.

Just to correct this, having your weapons out in and of itself doesn’t make you move slower. Rather, it’s the ‘in combat’ state that slows you down. You can tell if you’re in combat if there’s a little fiery aura around your Endurance/dodge bar.

You’re placed in combat by taking damage (including fall damage), inflicting damage on a non-ambient creature, or inflicting/receiving a condition on something whether or not it does damage. If it was caused by falling damage and nothing else, waiting a couple of seconds will cause the combat state to end and your health to immediately regenerate, letting you move/jump at full speed again. If it was caused by another creature, you need to either kill that creature or move a certain distance away from it to exit combat, whether or not you sheathe your weapons. You will also need to cleanse any negative conditions you’ve suffered to exit combat.

Evading enemy attacks will not place you in combat. As such, dodging is quite important for quick travel!

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

About to add, your weapon being drawn or not makes NO speed difference. Being IN COMBAT definitely slows you down and your weapon MUST be drawn to be IN COMBAT so the mistake is understandable.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

“ckittene” = “can” followed by “use”
so many vistas out there where I will naturally find the hardest way possible to get there. I don’t know why. I’ll find some backdoor path that probably wasn’t intended, get there, then notice there’s a staircase right below it. It’s become so common for me that I have to remind myself that it’s probably easier than I think, so I will always get as close to it as I can, then slowly widen my search for ways to get there.

If you’re really into climbing and being unusual places, or just want an easier time getting somewhere, I recommend these 2 items:
Experimental Teleportation Gun - drops portal, leaps forward 900 units, drops exit portal. can leap gaps, and others can follow you (or you can go back easily). 1 gun = 1 use
Experimental Rifle - #2 skill is a targetable leap, max 900 units. a little bit of vertical jump. It’s a weapon, so you consume the item and ckittene the leap multiple times. each use has a small chance of backfiring (much higher chance if there is an obstruction between you and the landing location). If it backfires, you will lose the gun and be knockbacked.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Perhaps it is just an animation difference, but I have always subjectively felt that my character moved faster once weapons were sheathed. Plus I seem to pull ahead of those running with weapons out.

It might be worth testing in a controlled race with two people with no speed buffs on of any sort, just running a straight distance, one with weapons out and one with sheathed.

Behellagh.1468

They do, there is a movement penalty when you have your weapons drawn. Guess ANet favors fight over flight.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Just to correct this, having your weapons out in and of itself doesn’t make you move slower. Rather, it’s the ‘in combat’ state that slows you down. You can tell if you’re in combat if there’s a little fiery aura around your Endurance/dodge bar.

You’re placed in combat by taking damage (including fall damage), inflicting damage on a non-ambient creature, or inflicting/receiving a condition on something whether or not it does damage. If it was caused by falling damage and nothing else, waiting a couple of seconds will cause the combat state to end and your health to immediately regenerate, letting you move/jump at full speed again. If it was caused by another creature, you need to either kill that creature or move a certain distance away from it to exit combat, whether or not you sheathe your weapons. You will also need to cleanse any negative conditions you’ve suffered to exit combat.

Evading enemy attacks will not place you in combat. As such, dodging is quite important for quick travel!

Afraid you’re wrong there, you definitely move slower with weapons out than not. This is why binding a sheathe weapon key is so useful rather having to wait for the auto sheathe. If you have a Charr, pull out your weapons then start running. While you’re running sheathe your weapons and you will instantly notice the speed difference.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

Afraid you’re wrong there, you definitely move slower with weapons out than not. This is why binding a sheathe weapon key is so useful rather having to wait for the auto sheathe. If you have a Charr, pull out your weapons then start running. While you’re running sheathe your weapons and you will instantly notice the speed difference.

Behellagh was right, it doesn’t matter with or without weapon drawn to running speed. It is the in combat effect that slow you down. I hated the Charr 4 leg runs so when i play my Charr will draw my weapon on travelling a lot (which i bind a key to draw weapon), and it never slow me down unless i take falling damage and drawn weapon.