Battlemage or Monk class?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Lytro.9305

Lytro.9305

Hi everyone, I’ve been looking to play a battlemage or a monk type character in game, and i’m trying to decide between a guardian and a revenant. What would you recommend to keep with the theme of a battle mage and what class would keep the theme of a monk, if possible or at least closely resemble. Thanks for the help

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

You would have to first define what those labels mean to you. For example, “Monk” in GW1 was primarily a healer. “Battlemage” could bring any number of meanings.

Posted by: Lytro.9305

Lytro.9305

I guess using the d&d descriptions of those classes would be what I’m looking for.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I don’t think any class in GW2 would really fit a “monk”-type. Closest to a battlemage would probably actually be an elementalist. But if you’re choosing between a revenant and a guardian, then ele really isn’t an option, obviously. Both guard and rev rely on magics. Both do well with melee combat, both have access to good elite specs, and both are useful in most game modes. Personally, I prefer playing revenant over guardian, but I enjoy guardian, too.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Imo about as close as this game can get to a DnD monk would be a double dagger wielding Thief. If Anet would put in a Cestus skin for daggers, or a Brass Knuckle skin like they did in the original GW, the D/D thief could come even closer to looking the part. If you don’t mind your monk using a staff, the thief elite spec Daredevil captures that fighting style fairly well.

If by Battle-Mage you mean some of the DnD Prestige Classes with heavy armored casters, then Guard and Rev are both decent options. Guard can look more like a mage with Scepter or staff use. They’re also more geared towards defensive spells.

Rev uses fighter weapons. Imo, Guards cannot produce the same feeling of being a bad-kitten as a Herald specced Rev using sword 2 and 3 to strike from range, teleport to mob and waste them.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

I agree with IndigoSundown… Rev for battlemage (if choosing between Rev and Guard), and Thief for monk (though I think you’ll really get the monk feeling once you get to Daredevil – which will be a large time investment).

~EW

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

You would have to first define what those labels mean to you. For example, “Monk” in GW1 was primarily a healer. “Battlemage” could bring any number of meanings.

Battlemage is obvious and no it cannot really be a number of things beyond a casting/melee hybrid.

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

You’re thinking of the wrong game- neither a guardian or revenant can play like this and be effective anymore

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

Revenant might give you a monkish feel with staff, but generally I would agree that Thief/Daredevil with staff is the closest thing we have.

Battle mage: honestly I don’t feel like either gaurdian or revenant is gonna give you that feel. Guardian is like a D&D paladin or cleric, and revenant is like a dark mirror of the same imo. The closest thing to a battlemage would be taking any of the light armor classes (mesmer, necro, ele) with melee weapon specs. I know those aren’t the classes you were looking at, but I don’t want you to start down them and be disappointed that it’s not what you are looking for.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

Temptest with dagger warhorn is pretty much the closet you get to a battle Mage. Your main skills are overload air and lightning whip.

DeanBB.4268

Ryou.2398

Battlemage is obvious and no it cannot really be a number of things beyond a casting/melee hybrid.

In my mind it is not obvious, so why would I assume to understand what the OP was wanting? I typically think of a plate-wearing, magic-wielding character, but I had a leather-clad paladin in a game once. If heavy armor is key, that leaves me with three choices, and I don’t see any of the heavy armor classes fitting my ideal.

Or is it one who wields elemental magic? Carries a sword, but throws fireballs.

Or wields a greatsword and uses any kind of magic?

Now if the OP only wants the heavy plate look for a magic-user, then an outfit for an elementalist, mesmer, or necro could work.

All professions can be “casting/melee hybrids”, so technically any could fit someone’s ideal of a Battlemage.

And sorry, when I played D&D there was no “battlemage” so that must be something “new.”

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

In my mind it is not obvious, so why would I assume to understand what the OP was wanting? I typically think of a plate-wearing, magic-wielding character, but I had a leather-clad paladin in a game once. If heavy armor is key, that leaves me with three choices, and I don’t see any of the heavy armor classes fitting my ideal.

Or is it one who wields elemental magic? Carries a sword, but throws fireballs.

Or wields a greatsword and uses any kind of magic?

Now if the OP only wants the heavy plate look for a magic-user, then an outfit for an elementalist, mesmer, or necro could work.

All professions can be “casting/melee hybrids”, so technically any could fit someone’s ideal of a Battlemage.

And sorry, when I played D&D there was no “battlemage” so that must be something “new.”

But a paladin is a paladin not a battlemage, its obvious what the word mage means.

DeanBB.4268

Here is the gospel on battlemage according to all-powerful Google:

A battlemage is a special type of mage that focuses on more combat. A battlemage is different from Spellsword. A battlemage uses Heavy Armor, One-Handed weapons, and obviously Spells. While Spellswords focus on Light armor, sneak, One handed weapons and spells.

So excluding wearing an outfit (OP has not clarified their intent), that leaves Guardian or Revenant with sword (possibly axe or mace) and shield. Both wear heavy armor and wield a one-handed weapon and spells.

The OP hasn’t been back, and my ESP isn’t so effective through the web, so…

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

On the flip side lets look what you want to play as more practical solution. What do you want to play PVE, PVP, WvW, OR Fractals?

I love the Reverent for PVE, but the Guardian rock the fractals.

(edited by Angelica Dream.7103)