Been away a while, Droprate question

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Grim.6415

Grim.6415

As the title says I haven’t played in a while (not with any regularity since December I’d say)

I’m just curious if you can reasonably find upgraded gear through drops yet at level 80. I’m particularly interested in dungeon runs but even just doing dailies or whatnot out in the world would be good as well.

I never did get an upgraded or max level exotic piece of gear for my character out of quite a few dungeon runs and playing in lvl 80 zones.

Before leaving I started grinding for CoF armour for my main but quit after three pieces as I realized it wasn’t fun for me. I really enjoy the excitement of a good drop and will farm for items if I feel that I have a half decent chance of getting a drop I can actually use after 3 hours of dungeon running or farming.

Between trying to farm lodestones (I wanted an icy Greatsword iirc) and dungeon running I felt that the exciting drop moments were anywhere from non-existent to incredibly few and far between.

I don’t want t gear treadmill at all, but I really enjoy playing the game, preferably challenging content (dungeons) rather than grinding (farming) and after a few hours of playing, having a reasonable chance at a drop my character can use as a new skin or for an alternative primary stat setup to complement existing gear.

Maybe I just had incredibly bad luck or I was doing it wrong but the ONLY time I felt the excitement of a cool drop that didn’t feel like a grind was getting the Mad King’s shield during the event where you killed the boss to pop the chest. Had a buddy that also had the shield drop and another got the bow after running that dungeon for a few nights. That was the most fun I had after level 80 in this game.

I wasted money on some gems and ended up with a few skins that were kind of cool I thought about putting on 80 exotic items then realized I would have to buy or craft an 80 exotic to put the skin on which just felt tedious to me.

So I am asking if the drops have been altered so if I for example run a dungeon path 2-3 times I can expect to get a level 80 exotic piece of gear or some drop of any kind that my lvl 80 exotic geared main may want to gear for an alternative build that isn’t a downgrade from what I can just craft myself?

Thank you for taking the time to answer rather than me pouring through dev blogs or patch notes for quite some time to figure it out.

Also if I was simply doing it wrong before and there is a way to spend a few hours of fun content (not gold farming and buying off TP) and have a reasonable chance of being rewarded with a sidegrade drop then please let me know. Thanks.

Posted by: Johan.7615

Johan.7615

Played for hundreds of hours since level 80. I only ever got one drop that is an upgrade from what I can buy in TP, and I have 100% mf. I found it for beating the game on the airship.

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Just yesterday I had Charrzooka drop for me from an enemy invader. It does happen, just don’t expect it all the time, because things like that have severe consequences on the economy.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

fractals 20+ drops exotics relatively frequently, but most likely not something you need. The best way to get exotic gear is from dungeons imo, since you’ll be making money in the process.
The fastest way is to buy from trading post or craft it.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

Grim.6415

Thanks for the answers guys. Doesn’t sound like too much has changed on that front.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

GW2 is not oriented on farming for a specific item, though you get a ton of lodestones in Fractals; if you get the ones you don’t want you sell them to buy the ones you want.

Grim.6415

GW2 is not oriented on farming for a specific item, though you get a ton of lodestones in Fractals; if you get the ones you don’t want you sell them to buy the ones you want.

Didn’t know that. Only ever tried Fractals once. Might have to give fractals a real try when I come back to playing the game.