Beginning with dungeons?

Beginning with dungeons?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Candlelight.1376

Candlelight.1376

I recently hit level 30 on one of my characters. I was under the impression that you’d get some kind of letter, and then be able to do the dungeon (Ascalonian Catacombs). Is this incorrect? Do you only have to find the dungeon in question, and have the appropriate level, to be able to enter?

Beginning with dungeons?

Posted by: Ten.8421

Ten.8421

You can enter AC any time you want, once you have a high enough level . (I think, technically, you can enter them no matter your level? But of course you wouldn’t be able to go one step without being slaughtered.)

You do get a letter and a mission in your Personal Storyline that kicks off the Destiny’s Edge storyline that the dungeons progress, but they are not a requirement, they’re just meant to give you some guidance and backstory.

Ascalonian Catacombs is in the Plains of Ashford (the Charr 1-15 area), by the way. The dungeons are marked with an icon of a wooden door on the map.

Gamut Gaming Group [GGG], an inclusive non-oppression, non-prejudice, non-normativity group.

Beginning with dungeons?

Posted by: Nepocrates.3642

Nepocrates.3642

As far as I have seen you can enter any dungeon once you are out of the tutorial zone. I went on a Manor run with a level 32 and level 36. it seems the level are a suggestion. The trick is convincing someone to take you when you level is that low since you would be pretty worthless in there at level 5

Also you can do the explore mode as long as the first person entering has done the story mode. Otherwise you have to do the story mode to unlock the explore mode. Explore modes give you tears that you spend on vendors in lions arch for level 40 and level 80 armor, weapons and such.

Beginning with dungeons?

Posted by: Candlelight.1376

Candlelight.1376

Okay, thank you. Does anyone know what part of the personal story that introduces you to the dungeon?

Beginning with dungeons?

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

Personal stories do not introduce you dungeons, nor do they have any effect on your PS. In story mode, you will see some familiar NPC’s from your story, and the dialogue will relate to what is or went on in the PS, but that is it. PS and dungeons are separate events.
Neither impact the other…

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Beginning with dungeons?

Posted by: Glitch.6849

Glitch.6849

Hey Candlelight. There are some great replies here so I won’t expand on them. I encourage you to try out a dungeon! Even if you aren’t quite the recommended level. It’s mainly about awareness in dungeons anyway.

If you are discouraged to try AC at around lvl 30 DON’T BE!
I completed my first AC dungeon at lvl 28. Sure it might be harder but it teaches you about awareness and how important it is.

Just find some nice people and tell them you’re new at this, more likely then not you’ve got others giving tips and advice.

If you’re on an EU server send me a whisper and I’ll be more than glad to help out! However I’m mainly on Fridays and Weekends. :P

Yea so just get out there!

Glitch

Beginning with dungeons?

Posted by: Ten.8421

Ten.8421

bri, you are not fully correct.

The introductory quest to Destiny’s Edge (which also includes a subtle little background explanation for the group, for those people who haven’t read the novel) is in fact part of your Personal Storyline:
it is the very first lvl 30 storyline mission, that sends you to Lion’s Arch to meet your racial mentor. Doing this mission will also prompt you to receive a letter about going to the dungeon.
Also, the final mission of your Personal Story sends you to the final dungeon and reunites you with Destiny’s Edge.

So while the vast majority of your Personal Story is not directly related to Destiny’s Edge and the dungeons, the aforementioned two missions absolutely are.

Candlelight, if you have or had a mission for level 30 to meet whoever is your mentor (Caithe, Rytlock, Eir, Zojja or Logan) in Lion’s Arch, that’s the one. Like I said, it’s not a requirement to do the dungeons, but if you like seeing the whole story, this is it. (It’s simply a dialogue mission, btw, so you don’t have to worry about the level. No fighting involved.)

Gamut Gaming Group [GGG], an inclusive non-oppression, non-prejudice, non-normativity group.

Beginning with dungeons?

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

Thanks Ten for clarifying that …
I remember receiving an invite letter to CM just after I hit level 40. I went there and got one-shotted by a huge golem! After that I ignored all the ‘invitation to death’ letters I received …

Haven’t done my PS far enough for the last bit …

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver