Best profession and build to solo Champions?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: redkat.1892

redkat.1892

I find it very enjoyable hunting down champions in open world PVE and trying to take them on my own. However i have had only had limited succes with my Guardian and Thief.

Any of you have any good ideas to beat most of them champions solo?

Posted by: Gator.5729

Gator.5729

My opinion is that any class/build is capable of it if you learn the mechanics of champion. If you learn when to dodge and the telltale sign of the attack, then you will be taking minimal damage. Once you learn that, then it all depends how fast you want to kill him. Berserker would be the fastest and PTV would probably be the slowest but most durable. Everything else would fall in between.

Posted by: Berformet.2981

Berformet.2981

i can pretty much solo most of the champs in-game on my ranger fairly easily. simply due to the fact if i do ever down, i can revive myself easily. i can solo the fire shaman meta boss if i get my dodges right also but ive always killed him with my firend. duo’d him abot 7 times total now. 2 of those being since he was updatedand made stronger, but hes still a fun challenge. im in knights armor with zerk trinkets and zerk weapons (sb/gs). love the solo challenge at times

/) /)
(^.^)b Cmdr Whíte Rabbit, The Bunny Mesmer
d(“)(”) Alias: Thalia Cereus, Cisna Brightwell, Toxic Bunny

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Soloing Champs requires that you learn how to NOT GET HIT (at least with their BIG damage attacks). All classes can do it but some have some unique abilities that make it easier or take less effort.

Your build, utility skills and knowledge of the specific Champ (and what it can throw at you) are also very important.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Out of the professions I’ve got to 80 so far (guardian, mesmer, warrior and engineer), I’ve found my mesmer to be the easiest and most reliable to kill champions, but I have to keep on my toes to stay alive.

Gear I use is mostly rabid (cond. damage – precision – toughness) using scepter/pistol as weapons. Main source of damage is from phantasms and clones, which are traited to cause bleeding everytime they crit (which is over 70% of their attacks). Phantasmal duelist (pistol 4) attacks 8 times (which means 6 stacks of bleeding on average) so I try to keep 2 of them up at all times. The scepter autoattack creates a new clone every 3 attacks, which also contributes with the bleeding, but mainly because with traits anytime an illusion dies they apply cripple, confusion and a random condition (3x bleeding, 3x vulnerability or weakness) to all nearby foes, once I have 3 illusions out everytime the scepter creates a new clone, a previous one is destroyed, trigering the clone dying effects (which doesn’t happen on shattering). While the confusion and random conditions are nice, I specially like the cripple, it lasts for 3 seconds, the scepter lasts 2 seconds to do its 3 attacks combo, which means that the champions are more or less permanently crippled while the duelists keep applying and renewing the bleeding (with 2 duelists + extra clone I usually average between 12 and 16 stacks of bleeding at all times, with the odd 20+ peaks from time to time).

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: redkat.1892

redkat.1892

Thanks for the the input. Anyone else?

Posted by: Sly.7354

Sly.7354

I like the thief with p/d d/d condition build. Madnek has posted around 40 videos of solo kills on different champions with this build. I am not very good and this build worked for me on the few champs that I tried.

Here’s his most recent example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMWsabpwcz4

There’s a link to his build in the description of the vid.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

The trick to soloing champs is to know the champion. Take the troll in Queensdale. It is very rare to kill him solo these days but there was a time that it was different. On my guardian I deal a lot more damage when going melee, but thats where I get hit hard. The trick there is to get into melee range, give him lots off DPS and keep yourself alive till all your healskills are worn out. Then you change to ranged and simply kite him till your healskills are up again and you repeat the process. This takes roughly 2-3 rounds till he is dead.

The oak however has a very different technique. There the trick is to sstand under him. If your ranged he puts roots on you. if your close he knocks you back. But if you stay under him he is totally harmless. Off course he doesn’t want you to be under him so you have to move with him.

So to answer your question, there is no build or class that is good at solo-ing champions. You have to learn and understand each and every champion and prepare your build for each off them.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I have all professions. I think they are all viable.

I would most likely start on my mesmer>thief>ele>ranger etc

RIP in peace Robert