Best profession for playing PvE content?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Dragon Lord.1026

Dragon Lord.1026

Hello everyone,

So I leveled a engineer and warrior to lvl 80 and played a little but got bored of grinding mastery points so I decided to make a new character.

And I just used lvl 80 upgrade token on a elementalist still need to play around and test it.

But I want to level another alt but just wondering since I have only 2 slots left for character creation which class is the best for enjoying all and any type of PvE content?.

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

How do you like to enjoy your pve?

Dragon Lord.1026

Want to explore all places,fractals,dungeons,world bosses

Would like to get the best armor/weapons possible for PvE.

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

Ok well how do you like to play against enemies? Do you like complex? Do you prefer tons of skills? Do you like to group and protect others or do you prefer solo or both? Do you like big cloth, medium, or big armor, do you like agile weapons or big fluid weapons? Do you like magic? Do you like just smashing and hacking at things or do you like ranged?

Dragon Lord.1026

Ok well how do you like to play against enemies? Do you like complex? Do you prefer tons of skills? Do you like to group and protect others or do you prefer solo or both? Do you like big cloth, medium, or big armor, do you like agile weapons or big fluid weapons? Do you like magic? Do you like just smashing and hacking at things or do you like ranged?

Well, I hate to be fully ranged or fully melee type i want to be a mix of both so i can swap and adapt to the bosses and environments.

Also I, don’t like pets/minions type its no fun if they are doing everything for you at least from my personal point of view.

I don’t mind any kind of armor light/heavy/medium anything is fine.

Yes, I would like to be support for other players sometimes but also at the same time I want to be able to survive long fights/solo.

I don’t want a easy combat build like spamming only 1 skill and your OP that is really really boring.

I want my combat skills to be flexible and not overly repeated button mashing.

So basically I am thinking of going thief/necro but still not sure if that’s what will suit my style of play but they certainly fit the category.

Ryou.2398

Well necro is out of the question if you dont like pets, if you have the expansion I think rev might fit that bill, warrior, engineer, mesmer, and guardian have a mix of range and melee, guardian or rev can probably survive the best but the guardian forums are flooding with how bad they are right now so I dont know if that will matter to you, I just dont know enough about them to give my own opinion if they really are doing poorly.

None of the classes I mentioned are simple, in fact far from it, but warrior may be the simpliest depending on how you play him or her.

You never mentioned if you have a prefrence of magic as rev is seems to be a darker magic with melee and guardian is just magic/melee nothing holy about it so take paladin out of your mind if thats what your thinking.

Dragon Lord.1026

Well necro is out of the question if you dont like pets, if you have the expansion I think rev might fit that bill, warrior, engineer, mesmer, and guardian have a mix of range and melee, guardian or rev can probably survive the best but the guardian forums are flooding with how bad they are right now so I dont know if that will matter to you, I just dont know enough about them to give my own opinion if they really are doing poorly.

None of the classes I mentioned are simple, in fact far from it, but warrior may be the simpliest depending on how you play him or her.

You never mentioned if you have a prefrence of magic as rev is seems to be a darker magic with melee and guardian is just magic/melee nothing holy about it so take paladin out of your mind if thats what your thinking.

Yes I do have the expansion maybe i should give revenent a try.

Whats your opinion on theif?

And about magic, I am fine with/without magic doesn’t matter much for me as long as they have good enough skills for PvE.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I just wanted to point out that you don’t have to use minions on a necro. You can play the whole game without ever using a single one of them, if you so choose.

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Thief… is not a class I would recommend. It has some nice mechanics and can do ton of single target damage but it has problems. For example does not survive against condi very well. Or has really weak ranged damage options. Very little AoE damage.

It’s best if you can jump on enemy and kill it very fast. If enemy survives your first spike, you either die or run away.

To me Rev is THE BEST, but it is kinda OP and pretty easy to play.

I always liked Guardian in PvE. Put some defensive stuff on and you never really can die. DH is just great addition but Guardian is very playable without it too. Players always complain about how their class is now unusable, it is very rarely true and even if it is, they mean at the very top PvP or WvW battles.

Posted by: Andy Warhol.6250

Andy Warhol.6250

I would recommend rangers and engineers. They are both great for “crowd control” which helps new players cope.

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

Thief… is not a class I would recommend. It has some nice mechanics and can do ton of single target damage but it has problems. For example does not survive against condi very well. Or has really weak ranged damage options. Very little AoE damage.

This is not true at all.
thief has lots of defensive options
has some of the strongest ranged burst dps in the game
and has some AoE options

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Well necro is out of the question if you dont like pets.

Not entirely true. I play a necro and hardly ever use pets. (Although I will use Flesh Golem in certain situations, as having that extra knockdown can be helpful.)
Necro is also rather viable for solo play. Condi necros are great for taking on champs and the like solo. Just have to watch mechanics and not get too close.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Well all profession are good in PvE. It depend if they fit you. They are ranked in term of dps capability of their highest dps build. At least as far as I know, thing change over time as new information and test become more public. Keep in mind that I’ll talk about the meta builds of each profession. Alternate ways of playing each profession exist that are not meta, but can still be good.

- Elementalist : Biggest dps, squishy.

- Thief : Second highest dps, squishy, but have more dodge and movement skill. Good utilities in dungeon and fractal (most Stealth), but not really for raids.

- Engineer : High condi dps, Jack-of-all-trades, master of nones. Highly adaptable. Hard to master.

- Herald : Average dps, decent buffer. His buffing capability become great with a Chronomancer in a Raid party.

- Guardian : Average dps, defensive support.

- Reaper : Average/low dps, but a lot of situational tricks can be use to have high dps.

- Warrior, Mesmer and Druid : All have low dps, but high buffing capability. And the druid can heal as well.

Pick whatever you like the most really. Ideally, pick a profession that fit your need in their meta or near meta build. They will perform better than if you try to fit a profession in a role they are not really good at. That said, some non meta build can do a great job. Especially in open world, dungeon and low level fractal, where it’s not that important.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Ryou.2398

Yes I do have the expansion maybe i should give revenent a try.

Whats your opinion on theif?

And about magic, I am fine with/without magic doesn’t matter much for me as long as they have good enough skills for PvE.

Well recently thief got better according to the forums, pve wise I think they report doing well, and they are really fun to play but they do not have ranged to be honest, they have some ninja tricks with the shortbow but it isnt truly ranged, you did specify you wanted range and melee didnt you?

I dont think the rev has much range either but if you really think you can be melee give it a try, classes can level up fast so just try them out.

Ranger is probably the most balance of range.

(edited by Ryou.2398)

Dragon Lord.1026

I was looking into necro coz with reaper spec i could be meele with greatsword and swap with staff for ranged without depending much on minions.

And I started a theif currently lvl 18 so far it has been good for PvE with D/D and shortbow and shortbow autoattack damage is pretty good and I can easily switch between melee and range by using shadow step.

Today i started a revenant and i must say the starting is quite boring as revenant maybe at higher levels its fun.

I think i am gonna stick to leveling thief since I am able to enjoy it for now and the movement speed boosts are great as theif.

Is it possible to create more than 5 chars on one account without buying additional character slot? like maybe another realm with another 5 slots?.

Thank you all for your suggestions appreciate it please help me around in game too i am really noob at this game alone XD.

FogLeg.9354

Is it possible to create more than 5 chars on one account without buying additional character slot? like maybe another realm with another 5 slots?

No, all your chars are attached to same server. You can of course create many different free accounts, you just can’t use same account-bound items then.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

I think ranger is great for a solid PvE experience. You’ve got a lot of direct damage for your simple mobs, and you’ve got the pet to tank for you. Easy and fun. You can focus on looking at the world around you without worrying too much about the battles.

Dragon Lord.1026

But if I create another account I will lose my expansion right?

FogLeg.9354

Yes, each account needs to be bought separately. But free account is perfectly playable, specially if you just want to try out different classes.

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

Well necro is out of the question if you dont like pets.

Not entirely true. I play a necro and hardly ever use pets. (Although I will use Flesh Golem in certain situations, as having that extra knockdown can be helpful.)
Necro is also rather viable for solo play. Condi necros are great for taking on champs and the like solo. Just have to watch mechanics and not get too close.

Yeah that is not a true statement about Necs and Pets. I guess I have a list of fun one’s and not as fun one’s (to me they all are fun) and Necs are very much on the fun(ner) list. They also have excellent survive-ability with the Shroud health pool, which should be something players with survive-ability issues should flock to. It’s real.

I think a first time Nec player will start with all the pets, you have your mini army look at me! You can go a good ways that way, but as you level you’ll morph out of them usually into other skills and there are some real whoppers in the Nec line. It’s really a great class if you like morphing into something better as you go.

Highly recommend having a nec in your pool list of characters to play.

Posted by: Mysticjedi.6053

Mysticjedi.6053

I’ve always preferred my guardian in pve. Good survivability, decent damage, can help others (I like personally like doing that). The one con is that dirt moves faster than them.

Posted by: Andy Warhol.6250

Andy Warhol.6250

I’ve always preferred my guardian in pve. Good survivability, decent damage, can help others (I like personally like doing that). The one con is that dirt moves faster than them.

My buff tank mace/shield warrior is also good for that. Two banners and a “For Great Justice” shout gives plenty of support for other characters. Also. very survivable.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Warrior is my personal favourite, Guardians are also good, especially now with Dragon Hunter. Revenant also a solid choice especially Herald.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|