Best way to farm wintersday gifts

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: SkullProX.7083

SkullProX.7083

Hello!

I would like to know the best way to farm the gifts. I know it’s the jumping puzzle, but im bad at it, so I would like to know the 2. best after the JP, and how many times should I complete the JP/hour to beat that 2. best?

Also does anyone know what’s the DR on tixx and toypocalypse? Like first time a day you get 50 gifts, what about the 2. 3. ?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There is no ‘best’ way; it depends on the player. My favorite way is to farm other stuff, use the gold to buy gifts in January or February, when the prices drop. For farmers, the JP is best if you can manage at least 7+ runs/half-hour, otherwise the bell choir.

If your goal is farming to sell for the coin:

• Toy Alpaca Lips: with the right team/strategy, you can can speed up the captures. Unfortunately, some of the events simply can’t be done ‘fast’, so your best bet is two and bring alt accounts to leech, doubling the income.
  • JP: last year, this redditor managed 14 times in 30 minutes, which includes personalized gifts every few successes. They claim 280/hour, although I’d guess 100-150/hour is more common.
  • Converting Karma to Gifts. Several people recommend 70/day, although you’re not limited. I recommend gifting to the 30 orphans and spending your freshly-earned 90k karma on ~60 gifts (about 20 minutes effort)
  • Bell Choir is 18 gifts per 6 songs or about 60 gifts per half hour.
  • PvP & WvW reward tracks dish out 261 gifts/track (if you take the 100-gift reward). For PvP, that’s 40 games (with a 50-50 win record) or 20 games if you’re fully buffed. For WvW, it takes about 6 hours to max a track, if buffed.

The consensus seems to be that 7 JP runs per half hour beats bell choir, so you’d have to manage each additional Toypacalypse in under 12 minutes to compete.

Since Gifts typically sell at 7-9 silver during Wintersday, 120 gifts/hour is roughly 10g/hour. So perhaps you might want to focus on AB multiloot (while it’s available) or other farms that generate that much coin.
————————————————————

tl;dr JP if you can do 7 runs/half-hour, choir bell if not. Also donate to orphans and buy 60-70 Wintersday Gifts.

And if your goal is gifts-to-open, consider doing anything you like and buying gifts in January with your coin.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Wow. Took me a minute to figure out Toy Alpaca Lips. Thought it was something new I was missing. Lol.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Wow. Took me a minute to figure out Toy Alpaca Lips. Thought it was something new I was missing. Lol.

Sorry, it’s as close as some text-to-speech software can get to pronouncing the true name. Plus, it’s an easter egg for some fans of Apocalypse Now who might also remember Pork Lips Now

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Depends which you find easiest out of Bell Choir and the Jumping puzzle.

I find Bell Choir very easy to max out (or get close to max) every time (depending on ping/lag of course) whereas I find the Jumping puzzle has higher chance of failure.

The only problem is how many rounds of Bell Choir you can take before getting bored – personally the same songs again and again start to do my head in and I can’t take it anymore… I don’t think I’ll be playing it beyond the achievement this year given I don’t think there are any new songs.

I wish Snowball Mayhem rewarded more gifts…

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

If you’re ok with the JP, do that until you go cross-eyed.

My typical successful run takes 1:45 to 2:15 mins, so in the perfect world of no failures, I’d theorectically get about 300 gifts an hour. (So far my best is 12-13 successes in a 30min “match”)

(edited by onevstheworld.2419)

Posted by: SkullProX.7083

SkullProX.7083

Thanks for the answers. One more question, should I sell the gifts and buy drinks from the money currently: gift:8-9s drinks: 5-6, or just open them? I heard drinks drop with 80%, so idk…

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I just play Bell Choir while watching TV.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Thanks for the answers. One more question, should I sell the gifts and buy drinks from the money currently: gift:8-9s drinks: 5-6, or just open them? I heard drinks drop with 80%, so idk…

The drop rate of drinks is indeed near 80%. So do the math:

• At (current) 6s per drink, you need to sell the gifts for 8.82 silver = 6/(0.80 * 0.85) to break even… call it 9 silver.
  • For a rule of thumb, add 50% to the cost per drink for the lowest price you want to sell the gifts at, as opposed to opening them.

Posted by: rwolf.9571

rwolf.9571

If you’re ok with the JP, do that until you go cross-eyed.

My typical successful run takes 1:45 to 2:15 mins, so in the perfect world of no failures, I’d theorectically get about 300 gifts an hour. (So far my best is 12-13 successes in a 30min “match”)

My personal best was 17, On avg for half hour is 12 on the low 14 on the high end. ( I was doing the drink achievement last year, and bell choir would hurt my fingers)

I would do about 1 – 1/2 hours a day during wintersday it was a grueling process.

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

7 JP runs per half hour makes it a good farm? And here I thought u would need at least 12……making you 1g (sold at 10s-10.70s) after all the TP costs were taken care of.

15 seems pretty standard for people doing the farm correctly. Most I got was 13, and i ran straight for the 30 minutes and only messed up 1 jump causing me to restart 1 run at the presents…..so i coulda got 14. And I know I coulda got 15 if I took the riskier shortcuts (which i now know how to do). Some people tell me they get 17 or 19……i dont more than 17 as being possible.

i dont think its a good farm anymore though consider presents are now selling for 2s less……8sish…mbe low 9s if ur rly lucky and some1 has bought a whole chunk at the time.

prices of presents are pretty horrid atm.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

Illconceived Was Na.9781

7 JP runs per half hour makes it a good farm?

No, 7 JP/half-hour is the cutoff where the JP becomes more profitable than bell choir. Whether it’s “good” or not depends the farmer.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

How many successes you get per 30mins also depends on how many other players are in the map. In a full map, I’ve observed the best jumpers max out at 14 or 15, the rest of us “average” farmers only reach 12-13. Rarely 16+. That’s probably because there is a high chance of someone else breaking snowflakes or presents ahead of you, forcing you to wait. I recently increased my record to 15 even with 3 falls… that was on a map with only 3 other players and I could consistently run through the JP without waiting for snowflakes or presents to respawn.

Posted by: noobism.8420

noobism.8420

As everyone is saying above, if you are good at the JP, do it. If you stay on the JP long enough and for multiple rounds, you’ll be the last one left and won’t have to wait for the snowflakes or presents to re-spawn. When I’m the only one on the map and don’t have to wait, I can finish the JP in 90 seconds (about 2 mins if multiple people on the map). In a perfect world this could mean 200 gifts every half hour, but since I am not perfect, I average about 140-150 every half hour. On top of that you get the 5 Personalized Gifts every 15 and 1050 karma every JP which can get you even more gifts at the holiday merchant.

If the JP isn’t your thing, I found the Bell Choir to be pretty simple and 18 gifts every 7.5 minutes. You have to complete the JP 7.2 times to match this rate.