Brand New Player - Hello

Brand New Player - Hello

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Carnach.5342

Carnach.5342

Hello,

I’m brand new just purchased the Heart of Thorns tonight for something to play. I will look through the forums and read. Just wanted to say hello and I hope the game is still stable or growing. Looks very interesting.

Carnach

Brand New Player - Hello

Posted by: Mitern.1563

Mitern.1563

Hello and welcome! It’s lots of fun with lots of helpful players.

Brand New Player - Hello

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Welcome to Tyria.

A bit of advice: Do not use your L80 Boost on your first 2 or 3 characters. Level, at the very least, one character normally in Core Tyria.

Happy adventuring, and good luck.

Brand New Player - Hello

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Welcome to the game!

Yes the game is still stable or growing. Anet don’t give us exact data on how many people are playing but you’ll find other people wherever you go in the game. Also development is very much on-going – Anet are currently in the process of releasing new story “episodes” and maps for level 80 characters and there’s a new expansion being developed.

If you have any questions about the game feel free to ask here or in-game, or check out the Wiki (link at the top of the page) which has lots of information assembled by players.

But for now my advice would just be to take it slow. There is no need to rush to the maximum level because the game doesn’t change drastically when you get there and the game is set up to keep lower level maps occupied so you won’t be alone while you’re leveling. And there’s a huge amount of stuff to see and do at lower levels, taking the time to see it means you’ll have a much better idea of what there is to do when you get to level 80.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Brand New Player - Hello

Carnach.5342

Thanks All for the advice.

Brand New Player - Hello

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

Welcome to Guild Wars 2: HoT! It’s a very exciting and beutiful expansion, as is the rest of Tyria, be sure to check out sites such as, http://www.metabattle.com http://www.qtfy.eu for builds, and http://www.dulfy.net/gw2/ for fun and interesting guides!

I wish you all the luck and most fun in your upcoming adventures, peace and take care!

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

Brand New Player - Hello

Carnach.5342

Sadly, I have not been able to play yet. I have a two macs and the game will load on neither even though they exceed the requirements. In both cases at 30% it stops and never finishes. I get my new windows desktop this weekend and will try that. I’m hoping the windows installer is better then the Mac Installer especially since I bought the game.

Brand New Player - Hello

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

The level 80 boost is best used later to test out classes at lvl 80 to see if you want to bother leveling them. I would never actually expend it (kicking myself for doing this).

Brand New Player - Hello

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

You could try contacting Support and see if they can help you get it installed on your Mac, they’re usually pretty helpful, although it may take a few days to get a response.

But from what I’ve heard the Windows version is much better. The game was built for Windows then ported to Mac and I think that caused some issues.

(If for any reason you can’t get it working there either let us know and/or contact Support. As you said you should be able to play the game you’ve bought and it definitely should work, on both formats, so please don’t just give up on it.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Brand New Player - Hello

Carnach.5342

Thanks Danikat, that’s good info. Saturday I should be installing this on my new Windows 10 machine and I’ll look forward to that. In the meantime its given me more opportunity to read a bit. I am leaning towards Warrior as my 1st profession using a signet build with great sword until I get comfortable with the game. I’ve been reading up on the crafting also. Seems like there is a split some saying don’t craft and you’ll make more money to buy things. Others saying the crafting while expensive is rewarding at the end. So I’m not sure yet on the crafting though I am think I want to give it a try either chef/weaponsmith or chef/armorsmith. Thanks to everyone for the tips so far.

Brand New Player - Hello

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

Thanks Danikat, that’s good info. Saturday I should be installing this on my new Windows 10 machine and I’ll look forward to that. In the meantime its given me more opportunity to read a bit. I am leaning towards Warrior as my 1st profession using a signet build with great sword until I get comfortable with the game. I’ve been reading up on the crafting also. Seems like there is a split some saying don’t craft and you’ll make more money to buy things. Others saying the crafting while expensive is rewarding at the end. So I’m not sure yet on the crafting though I am think I want to give it a try either chef/weaponsmith or chef/armorsmith. Thanks to everyone for the tips so far.

It’s sort of a kitten ed-if-you-do/kitten ed-if-you-don’t scenario. If you sell your materials you’ll make a lot more gold, which is useful initially. However, the moment you find yourself needing the materials you sold you’ll wish you hadn’t! But then you’re broke all the time!

As for crafting, it’s useful in the long run. If you want to craft legendary and ascended items it’s good to have crafting. It’s also useful for some of the collections. So you will probably want to level crafting on several skills sooner or later. It’s also a good way to bank materials since you can refine a lot of what you find. Those time-gated ascended materials especially will come in handy later on if you end up trying to craft a legendary precursor that requires 60 days worth of them! So I would say don’t worry about it right away, but put it on your list of things to do and keep in mind that selling materials that are worth a lot usually means you’re selling something you will find useful later on!