Brand new to game

Brand new to game

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: stvibes.5930

stvibes.5930

Q:

I just started playing. Love the game. But how do I unlock traits? An what is a good melee class for wvw, also to quest? Played a warrior, pally, an rogue in wow. Still getting used to everything. Any tips would help a lot ????

“I drift between the moments of sanity like snowflakes on the wind.
A breeze of life, that becomes death with just a simple shiver.”-Stvibes

Brand new to game

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

Hi there! and welcome

I won’t have all the answers so I’ll just throw in my opinion

1. Don’t compare this game to WoW, we don’t have a trinity!
  2. Traits are unlocked by doing certain events (from level 11+), you should be able to see what events by clicking on them.
  3. Sometimes it’s better to have multiple characters for WvW/PvE, though Guardian/Warrior might be nice to try out (Most if not all classes can both do good melee and ranged damage) So it’s really up to your personal choice

The most important tip:
Enjoy the game while leveling, end-game in GW2 isn’t what you’re used to in WoW.
(or so I’ve been told)

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

Brand new to game

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

More specifically on the traits, once they are visible in your traits panel you can mouse over the little spyglass/scout icon on the list of traits on the left side of the panel to see what it says to do to get that trait. I think you don’t get traits until a lot later than 11 now, more like 30? I could be wrong on that, I’ve only leveled one post-revamp alt.

Be aware that right now a lot of the tasks to unlock traits can’t be done until you’re ten levels higher than when you become eligible for the trait, others require events that are seldom up, and some require going into WvW and getting ganked. It’s a real mess and sometime from now until the launch of the expansion they will be changing the system in some as-yet-unknown way.

However, if there’s a trait you really want and can’t do the world unlock on, you can spend skill points and gold on it at your trainer. Skill points will eventually build up to where that is feasible, though at the start you’ll want them for utility unlocks so you might be 80 before you can manage that anyway.

That fix can’t come soon enough …

(The above may not make it clear that I love this game quite a bit. Welcome to one of the most fun MMO experiences one can have!)

Brand new to game

stvibes.5930

Thx for the info. Was lost about that. Gonna try every class then ????)

Brand new to game

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

Thx for the info. Was lost about that. Gonna try every class then ????)

I would try Warrior / Guardian first, as they both have Heavy Armor.
(doesn’t mean they’re tanks, but I like the looks)

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

Brand new to game

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

Every class/prof can be played effectively (at least in part) in melee/close range. So don’t feel restricted to a profession that in your WoW brain should be pigeonholed into playing melee.

Combat in GW2 is all about active defense. Learn to use dodges, blocks, evades and activated defensive abilities wisely. You can’t just stand there like in WoW and facetank everything because you’ve stacked up on defensive traits.

Traits are unlocked at 30, and one more every 6 levels thereafter (not counting 80 which is a 2 level gap).

Brand new to game

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Traits are unlocked at 30, and one more every 6 levels thereafter (not counting 80 which is a 2 level gap).

Meaning trait points. You need to spend the points on the desired traits, but cannot so spend them until you have unlocked the specific desired trait. Well, you can spend them, you’ll just have blank spots in the bigger boxes that you can’t fill until you unlock the trait. The smaller ones are passive effects for putting points in that trait line.

You can freely swap around your trait points out of combat, btw. So don’t stress too hard about picking the “best” line, it’s as easily changeable as your armor dyes.

Brand new to game

Posted by: Ixtyr.7314

Ixtyr.7314

I would tell you that if you’re looking to do more survivability and support and give up a bit on damage output, Guardian is for you. If you want really fast-paced combat, try Thief, and if you want good DPS output, fun combat and a lot of flexibility, go Warrior. But as everyone else said, every profession can basically do melee and ranged combat effectively, it’s really up to you and your playstyle.

Ixtyr Falavir – Gamebreaker Nation [GBN] – http://www.gamebreakernation.com/

“We Hang the Petty Thieves, and Appoint the Great Ones to Public Office.”

Brand new to game

stvibes.5930

Thank you all for the advice. This game is already better then wow lol. No one ever helps out. Gonna try a few professions. Gonna play an just have fun. Hope you all have a great day

Brand new to game

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

Thank you all for the advice. This game is already better then wow lol. No one ever helps out. Gonna try a few professions. Gonna play an just have fun. Hope you all have a great day

I wish all “which profession should I play” threads worked out like this.

Brand new to game

stvibes.5930

Actually the thief, and warrior look fun as hell lol. I went an watched some YouTube vids to get a look at all the profession, and those two, and mesmer looked most fun to play with good challenge at learning my class. You peeps rock. Thx for helping a new peep out.

Brand new to game

Posted by: Jaed.9823

Jaed.9823

I sent you an in-game message with any help I can provide

Brand new to game

stvibes.5930

What’s a good server for wvwvw

Brand new to game

stvibes.5930

Actually looking for a good guild, friendly to New players, and willing to answer noob question lol. Any help appreciated.