Building a PC - Need Feedback/Help

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Flarey.9480

Flarey.9480

Hey guys \o/
Alright, I have limited to no knowledge of pc components and such but I want a new and improved pc to run the game on ultra at decent fps. I Grew tired of my 20 fps at medium. After a bit of searching around and reading I have decided to build my own. I would like some feedback on the setup i’ve made here : (http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ndGfd6)

Would this be enough to run smoothly? Should I do anything differently? Will everything fit? Any concerns/alternatives with certain parts? I would really like to stick around that price range! Any feedback or info would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Posted by: Halo.8046

Halo.8046

See if you parts list is less expensive here.
http://www.microcenter.com/
If there is one near You?

I would go with the i7-4790k its a little more but worth it.
I have one and the stock cooling fan with no problems.
Building a 1151 socket system with DDR4 might be around the same price?
This requires DDR4 RAM.
http://cart.microcenter.com/cart.aspx?RedirectUrl=http://www.microcenter.com
Bundle CPU and MB gets you a discount of about $40. savings.

I would also get an 850w or better PSU.

Posted by: Rain.7543

Rain.7543

Unless you want to run the newest AAA titles this setup is waaay overkill for Guild wars 2. I run i5 4460 cpu, 8 gb ram and gtx 760 and my game is almost constantly 60 fps on highest settings.

If you are aiming to play only Guild wars 2 such high end PC is a waste of money.
Otherwise the system in itself looks great, but again think of your priorities, before throwing so much money at tech.

@Halo 850W is a overkill for a single GPU setup up. No need for it, the chosen 650 is more then enough.

(edited by Rain.7543)

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

If you’re building an entire new pc there’s little point to go for Haswell over Skylake. DDR3 is already dead, you get better single core performance that will help in Gw2 and it will be much easier to sell it as second hand.
About the PSU, you got too wattage and low quality elements, there’s no need for 650w in a skylake+1060 setup.
Also, that gpu is quite overpriced, you can get the same 1060 for much less price and invest the difference into an i7.

This is what I’d take instead: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/fyfHWX

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

(edited by Ansau.7326)

Flarey.9480

Also, that gpu is quite overpriced, you can get the same 1060 for much less price and invest the difference into an i7.

Alright, switching over to DDR4. What is the difference between all the “different” GTX 1060s ? Why are some cheaper than others?

Flarey.9480

If you are aiming to play only Guild wars 2 such high end PC is a waste of money.
Otherwise the system in itself looks great, but again think of your priorities, before throwing so much money at tech.

I’m willing. I plan to play some of the upcoming titles and play a lot of race simulators. I just want something that will last me at least 2-3 years and will run my games on max settings without any hiccups.

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

Alright, switching over to DDR4. What is the difference between all the “different” GTX 1060s ? Why are some cheaper than others?

Better cooling, more elaborated electric boards and fancy stuff like backplate, LED illumination or dual bios. Those more expensive models usually run cooler and can be overclocked farther.
But since the 1060 has such a low thermal output and Nvidia has locked Pascal overclock capability, there’s little point going for a top model. Even the cheapest single fan model will achieve +2050MHz while staying at <75ºC and being silent.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

Even the cheapest single fan model will achieve +2050MHz while staying at <75ºC and being silent.

iirc some of the bottom of the barrel ones from EVGA were kind of loud, so I’d avoid those. A dual fan model should be more then attainable at a reasonable price, especially with the Jet deals going on atm

Just make sure to get a 6GB 1060, the 3GB models are cut down GPUs and actually perform worse (an incredibly scummy move from nVidia imo)

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I hardly call it scummy, they are trying to compete with AMD’s 4GB RX 480 or RX 470 price point.

True perhaps a name change is in order but it’s performance at 1080p isn’t significantly compromised (5%) for a 20% price reduction.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

The fact that they’re selling a lower-performance card under the name of another is incredibly scummy, even if it’s still a reasonable bargain. I’m not sure if I’d want a 3GB card these days, though; it’s fine for now but I could very easily see it having issues at this time next year, especially at 1440P or other higher resolutions

There’s nothing wrong with competing, just give the card a lower end name if it’s a lower-end card.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

(edited by Fermi.2409)

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

I have to agree with Fermi… unless you were well read on the subject, most consumers would (logically) assume the only difference between the 2 versions of the 1060 is the amount of VRAM. 1050Ti would have been a more honest and less confusing name.

Posted by: lilypop.7819

lilypop.7819

I’m willing. I plan to play some of the upcoming titles and play a lot of race simulators. I just want something that will last me at least 2-3 years and will run my games on max settings without any hiccups.

Would go with Blipp here.

My advice would be to buy a second-hand i5 (4-Gen) with 8GB and drop a RX-470 into it – guessing the cost would be around 45 to 70% of your current budget – rest of the stuff is of minor importance but I do like a cool looking case.

This would perform fine over the next few years (1080p for sure) EXCEPT with a full flat out DirectX 12 VR Racing game (not sure there would be such a game as there maybe health issues).

DirectX 12 games have not really hit the market yet and with AMDs 6/8/12/16 or whatever core Zen processors due out early next year – and Intel’s response ofc – it’s going to be very difficult to predict whether 4 cores will be enough for such games over the next 2 to 3 years. I actually suspect game designers are waiting for the zen processors – at least cheap powerful >6 core processors – before there will be a flood of ultra graphical DirectX 12 1080p games. So slashing out a lot of money on a HQ 4-cores machine now is going to run the risk of being inherently self-limiting in the future.

The key thing is to purchase a RX-470or equivalent now as you will most certainly be able to redeploy it into another machine over the next few years and still retain it’s worth to you. Not so sure the same applies to current processors and motherboards so would go for cheapest-for-existing-needs on these.

Also note that just dropping a RX-460 into your current computer will almost certainly give a significant bump with regard to GW2. Giving the cost it maybe be worth an the experiment.

(edited by lilypop.7819)

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Hey guys \o/
Alright, I have limited to no knowledge of pc components and such but I want a new and improved pc to run the game on ultra at decent fps. I Grew tired of my 20 fps at medium. After a bit of searching around and reading I have decided to build my own. I would like some feedback on the setup i’ve made here : (http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ndGfd6)

Would this be enough to run smoothly? Should I do anything differently? Will everything fit? Any concerns/alternatives with certain parts? I would really like to stick around that price range! Any feedback or info would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Hey I love helping people with PC stuff.
If you havn’t yet bought or build a PC yet, I’d be happy to give you some knowledge on how you can build one and how to properly shop for parts knowing what they do so that you can better judge the parts you pick on your own if thats what you want.

If you’re interested to learn and able to voice chat add me on skype and let’s talk.
Skype username: DreamyAbaddon

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I have to agree with Fermi… unless you were well read on the subject, most consumers would (logically) assume the only difference between the 2 versions of the 1060 is the amount of VRAM. 1050Ti would have been a more honest and less confusing name.

Well if you get whats pretty much the lowest priced and best performing card available, do you expect to play everything maxed for the next 5 years? No. That would be silly.

I got an EVGA GTX1060 SC 3Gb this week and it performs about as good as my 980Ti (long story short, it went up in flames and is on RMA). The 6Gb version wasnt available but I know what I’m getting for a noticable lower price:
- Its only gonna be used for 1080p
- Got the EVGA specifically as backup for the 980Ti because I can use it to make a HTPC (its so tiny!)
- 6gb vs 3gb performance is nearly identical
- If it vram choke, turn down textures from ultra-super-awesome-high (-40% performance difference in Mirrors Edge per reviews) to only-awesome-high (-5% performance for virtually zero visible difference). Again, you are buying a freaking lowest cost budget version.

So pick your poison. Either version will be fine during its 1.5 or so years lifetime (medium-high end card I count about 3 years lifetime). But hey if you can get the 6Gb version and its your main gaming rig, get it kitten .

As a sidenote: EVGA 1060 SC and EVGA 1060 use different coolers. If people plan on that brand, get the SC (barely cost any more). MSI Gaming X is also supposed to have a good cooler.