Button pressing and keybinds

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: lalex.6350

lalex.6350

Hi

Im kinda new to PvP and having a lot of fun in it. But to be honest, playing engineer I’m just mashing buttons and pressing the wrong ones a lot of the time. Does anyone have any tips? Get a gaming mouse/keyboard?

And what keybinds do you recommend?

Thanks so much.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Yes, get a gaming mouse. It will enhance your game play significantly once you get used to it. I suggest a Logitech G600 (others may suggest Razor but I have seen a lot of complaints about Razor mice breaking too easily). My G600 has held up to a ton of abuse. The multiple buttons fit the thumb fine and the buttons are easy to differentiate due to the layout. As for keybinds, once you get a gaming mouse it is up to your personal taste. Play around with them and select the key binds that seem more automatic to you. Personally, I use a combination of mouse buttons and keyboard buttons that I know I can hit without thinking or reaching to far.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The default keybindings are definitely difficult, especially for engineers.

But what’s better is really up to you. I recommend experimenting with a few ideas, and if you’ve not had a gaming mouse before ideally go to a store where you can try out a few to see what you like.

My solution is to use the number pad for skills, F1-4 and a few other things like take target and weapon swap. It works especially well for me because I’m left-handed, so my right hand is on the keyboard and I can use my thumb on the arrow keys to move.

Other ideas I’ve seen people mention are using 1-5 and shift+1-5 so you don’t have to move your hand around as much, or rebinding half your skills below or around the movement keys. For example 1-5, Q, E, R, F and \ – V.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Slalom.3174

Slalom.3174

As @lalex said, Logitech G600 is one choice. It has 12 buttons on the “thumb” side as well as the left, right and (what call the ring finger) buttons. You can set up various profiles and toggle them as needed.
I pair that mouse with the Logitech G13 game pad. So with mouse in my right hand and game pad under my left, the keyboard is eliminated except for message typing.

If you don’t go the extra hardware route, you can search the web for GW2 keybind layouts. As @Danikat explained, many PvP options are available. You will likely want to use whatever you find as a guide and re-arrange key assignments that work best for you.

Have you found the Wolfineer site ( http://www.wolfineer.com/ )? A wealth of information there.

“Please accept my text in the jovial, friendly manner that it is intended.”

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

You don’t need a gaming mouse if you don’t want to (although it does help if you’re willing to invest in one). I’m currently using a 5 button mouse and I’ve coped fine in PvP on every class with it.

Keybinding keyboard buttons revolves around having crucial binds near your movement keys. Assuming you are using a qwerty keyboard, I personally use QWES for movement, QE being my strafe keys. I do not need turning keys at all, since I use my right mouse button for that. You could also use AD for movement, I use QE because it allows easier access to F123 which I use (although you might not need F123 if you have more than 5 mouse buttons). This frees up 2 buttons that are extremely quick and easy to access.

Next think to rebind is your R button. As useful as auto-run is, you really don’t need instant access too it and R is in a good position. I personally have R bound to my F4 skill, because it is distortion on mesmer, earth attunement on ele and a toolbelt skill on engineer, all of which are useful to have quick access to.

After this, it’s all just preference really.

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]