CPU upgrade - make much difference for FPS?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Draemond.7236

Draemond.7236

Hi,

I’m currently running an old Intel E5200 and am thinking of getting a i5 3450
I plan on using my same video card nvidia geforce GTS250 (as i’m tight on money) so I figure an upgrade to the CPU would be the best bet,
Currently i average about 15-20 FPS on all Low settings (reflections off, shadows off etc…)

So I’m wondering with the upgrade to CPU, do yuo think I’ll be able to handle the game on Medium settings minimun and get around 30FPS?

If I need to provide more specs let me know as well…

Thanks,
Drae

Posted by: Broccoli.8734

Broccoli.8734

Your performance doesn’t depend only on the CPU. You’re computer is only as fast as the sum of the parts that go into it. Upgrading the CPU will help you get some better FR at lower settings. However, upping graphics depends mostly on your video card (i.e. Anti Aliasing, V sync, Filtering, etc.)

Upgrading to that processor with that video card MAY bottleneck the GPU, take that statement with a grain of salt as I am not positive, and may sound incredibly dumb for saying it.

A longer list of specs with more details would also help me give you a better answer.

Current CPU Speed:
Current GPU Mem Clock and Core Clock speeds:
Current DRAM speed and amount:

EDIT

For reference:

I am currently running an amd x6 1100T at 4.8 GHz with an asus amd radeon HD 7870 and get a solid 60-70 FPS for the first half hour 45 minutes at which it drops to about 30 FPS because of a CPU bottleneck.

Ill be upgrading the the AMD FX 4 core soon OC’d to 5.0 with H80 liquid cooling which should solve my problem

(edited by Broccoli.8734)

Posted by: Herod.4675

Herod.4675

You are going to want to make sure the new CPU will fit the old motherboard socket (LGA) first.

Am I a turtle or a hare gamer? I wouldn’t know, there isn’t a game I have ever finished.

Posted by: Blaque.3698

Blaque.3698

I had a Radeon HD 7770 graphic card paired with AMD Althon x2 4000+. With best performance setting (lowest possible), I averaged 20 fps.

I switched the same graphic card and paired it with Intel i5 3570k, now i get 60-70fps on best appearance!

My laptop has an Intel i7 2630QM with a Nvidia GT 540M, with medium settings (auto-detect), I get around 60-70fps, and around 40-50fps with best appearance.

Hopes this gives you a good picture!
GW2 doesn’t ask for much.

Draemond.7236

Current CPU Speed: 2.5 ghz (dual core)
Current GPU Mem Clock and Core Clock speeds: 1gb, core 738MHz, memory 2200MHz
Current DRAM speed and amount: 8gb ddr3

Hopefully that helps out, nothing is overclocked either…

Posted by: Nod.9613

Nod.9613

Hi,

I’m currently running an old Intel E5200 and am thinking of getting a i5 3450
I plan on using my same video card nvidia geforce GTS250 (as i’m tight on money) so I figure an upgrade to the CPU would be the best bet,
Currently i average about 15-20 FPS on all Low settings (reflections off, shadows off etc…)

So I’m wondering with the upgrade to CPU, do yuo think I’ll be able to handle the game on Medium settings minimun and get around 30FPS?

If I need to provide more specs let me know as well…

Thanks,
Drae

At the most basic settings, this game (and others) are incredibly CPU dependent. If you have a 5 year old CPU and a 5 year old GPU, you will get the most benefit out of a new CPU. I know this from my experience in IT, and because I just did it.

I was getting 20-50 FPS In CS:GO, and GW2 was essentially unplayable with my Athlon X2, and my nVidia 8800GT. I upgraded my processor, motherboard, and RAM and now get 200-300 FPS in CS:GO and 70-100 FPS in GW2, both on medium-high settings. Since I am getting such acceptable rates on reasonable settings, I don’t see the point in spending $200+ on a new video card just to maintain those same rates but on higher settings.

The reply above me is still correct in that your machine is only as good as your bottleneck, but you already have a newer, higher-end graphics card than me, and my CPU replacement made all the difference. FYI, this is the combo I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1033223 . That $350 combo is going to far outpace any increase you’ll get from a new graphics card.

Keep in mind that your CPU is also used to run your operating system, background processes, and applications. Your graphics card is almost plays almost no part in those areas.

(edited by Nod.9613)

Posted by: Nod.9613

Nod.9613

Current CPU Speed: 2.5 ghz (dual core)
Current GPU Mem Clock and Core Clock speeds: 1gb, core 738MHz, memory 2200MHz
Current DRAM speed and amount: 8gb ddr3

Hopefully that helps out, nothing is overclocked either…

I know you were asked for your CPU speed, but keep in mind that this is a poor way to measure and compared the performance of one CPU with that of another. Some CPU’s are able to accomplish more per cycle, even though they run at the same speed.

I recommend that you take a look through this multi-page article at Tom’s Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106.html . It will effectively tell you that the i5 3570k is the best gaming processor available right now before diminishing returns start to kick in. It will run you $230 unless you can find it on sale. Pairing it with a motherboard, like I did above, is one way to knock $25 off of the price.

Draemond.7236

Great thank you for your help definatly going to look into the above combo

Posted by: exia.9768

exia.9768

Don’t forget, your system RAM helps speed up processing also. The more ram you have (8gb pretty standard nowadays) the better your pc performance is also.

[lvl25] Ryanz – Yakk’s Bend

Posted by: Madmardagan.7945

Madmardagan.7945

Quick and dirty stats

Quad core is optimal for this game. more than quad core sees minimal benefits. Dual core can play the game well though. Intel runs better than AMD on it too. Tests are showing that AMD are bottle necking performance. i5 is probably the all around best for the game. i7 doesnt matter because mmos so far do not use the extra…

Graphics card I would say is biggest thing on a game, but its a mmo so you dont need a beast. Still worth investing in

Memory.. 4 gigz is good, 8 ideal. be sure to go with a good brand.

Memory.. 4 gigz is good, 8 ideal. be sure to go with a good brand.Finally, often overlooked is your psu, dont go cheap. Go with a good brand.

Memory.. 4 gigz is good, 8 ideal. be sure to go with a good brand.Finally, often overlooked is your psu, dont go cheap. Go with a good brand.if you had a i3, gts 450, 4 gigz of ram. You should be able to play fine at balanced settings

Memory.. 4 gigz is good, 8 ideal. be sure to go with a good brand.Finally, often overlooked is your psu, dont go cheap. Go with a good brand.if you had a i3, gts 450, 4 gigz of ram. You should be able to play fine at balanced settingsif you went with a i5, gtx560, 8 gigz of ram.. you could run ultra on everything and blaze still

Memory.. 4 gigz is good, 8 ideal. be sure to go with a good brand.Finally, often overlooked is your psu, dont go cheap. Go with a good brand.if you had a i3, gts 450, 4 gigz of ram. You should be able to play fine at balanced settingsif you went with a i5, gtx560, 8 gigz of ram.. you could run ultra on everything and blaze stillI myself am on a Older Quad Core Duo, gtx560, 4 gigz of ram and have not played much, but seem to be ok running on ultra. The game is a bit odd in that if you compare it to SWTOR, it doesnt need as much graphics card, but does need more cpu.

Memory.. 4 gigz is good, 8 ideal. be sure to go with a good brand.Finally, often overlooked is your psu, dont go cheap. Go with a good brand.if you had a i3, gts 450, 4 gigz of ram. You should be able to play fine at balanced settingsif you went with a i5, gtx560, 8 gigz of ram.. you could run ultra on everything and blaze stillI myself am on a Older Quad Core Duo, gtx560, 4 gigz of ram and have not played much, but seem to be ok running on ultra. The game is a bit odd in that if you compare it to SWTOR, it doesnt need as much graphics card, but does need more cpu.For $750 you can get a computer that will run this super smooth at balanced. For less than a $1000, you can blaze it on ultra. RAM is so cheap that while you do not necessarily need 8 gigz, might as well get it

Posted by: Roxim.1289

Roxim.1289

I just want to confirm that you know you will need a new motherboard and RAM if you upgrade to that CPU from your current one. The socket size is different so that new CPU is not compatible with your current one.

Posted by: Zalastra.6290

Zalastra.6290

Like others said a cpu upgrade would be good but you will need a new motherboard and memory too. Your gpu should hold out fine if you don’t care too much about running games on very high settings. If you want advise on what to buy you will need to specify your budget.

edit, nvm about the need for new memory I see your post about having already plenty of ram and of the current type.

(edited by Zalastra.6290)

Posted by: Damaskinos.7150

Damaskinos.7150

Like the others have been saying, make sure that if you change one component on your system you know if you have to change something else as well. Keep in mind that this game (like most MMOs such as WoW) are CPU bound and, more often than not, CPU upgrades are going to give you much better performance. I have assisted others with this game in particular that have had 200$-300$ graphics cards and, because their CPU is older, they are getting constant 70% cpu usage and averaging 15-20 FPS with CTDs (Crash to Desktop). If you plan on upgrading your computer for this game, make sure you do it properly!

Assisting other players, one Google search at a time. :)
Sorrows Furnace — Damaskinos.7150
Super Taco Squad / The Elder Night

Posted by: Unreal.9025

Unreal.9025

Graphic card definitely makes a big difference. CPU only useful if there is a lot of physics, i.e. ragdoll/bodies moving

I am running everything on highest, 60 fps easy.
CPU i7 3770k
GPU Geforce 4GB GTX 680
16 GB Ram

Lvl 80 Charr Warrior, HoD

(edited by Unreal.9025)

Posted by: shizniticus.7864

shizniticus.7864

I saw a HUGE jump when I went from an AMD Athlon 64 3.0ghz, to a Intel i5 with the same video card.

Before I bought the motherboard, I borrowed a friends Geforce 500 series card, and there was little difference, stuttered alot.

I think CPU is huge in this game…

Never argue with an idiot. They’ll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Posted by: Tuttle.9123

Tuttle.9123

If you have a Microcenter near you, I’d suggest getting the i5 2500k processor for 159.99 and a gigabyte mobo for 39.99 after mail in rebate. That is one very cheap way to get parts. Though the mobo will not allow the i5 to overclock (which is does very well). It also seems that on that mobo two of your 4 sata slots may get blocked by large video cards.

Speaking of vid cards, perhaps pick this up 560 GTX (not as fast as 560ti) for 139.99 after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130664

Microcenter.com is the site if you want to find out if one is near you.

If you picked up these 3 parts you could run the game on high performance. Grand total

You have a new mobo/cpu/graphics card. There are some compromises, expecially in the mobo department.

Posted by: the Keeper.9310

the Keeper.9310

Ok… There’s a lot of misinformation going on in this thread. The system I am playing on was built when age of Conan was launched. Athlon x64 dual core, 8800gt you and only 4 gigs of ram. I have yet to even stutter, and that with about 70% of my time spent in wvw. This game does not require a top of the line system. I would actually look at your Internet connection if you are having problems.

Also, the human eye can’t even see 30 frames per second, so trying for more than that is a waste of money.

Posted by: Kiryana.5167

Kiryana.5167

Depending on the age of your system changing one component could lead to a chain reaction of having to change multiple components. CPU > Motherboard > PSU > Ram. Make sure all your parts are compatible before buying or you risk damaging/destroying them.

I do agree with most here that an upgrade to your CPU will net you the higest increase in performance.

Ok… There’s a lot of misinformation going on in this thread. The system I am playing on was built when age of Conan was launched. Athlon x64 dual core, 8800gt you and only 4 gigs of ram. I have yet to even stutter, and that with about 70% of my time spent in wvw. This game does not require a top of the line system. I would actually look at your Internet connection if you are having problems.

Also, the human eye can’t even see 30 frames per second, so trying for more than that is a waste of money.

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

I like waffles.

Draemond.7236

I just want to confirm that you know you will need a new motherboard and RAM if you upgrade to that CPU from your current one. The socket size is different so that new CPU is not compatible with your current one.

Yes looking at another motherboard as well as suggested in a couple of the other posts

Posted by: Tuttle.9123

Tuttle.9123

I respectfully disagree with the Keeper, the feel of 30fps and 60fps is noticeable. Even more noticeable are framerates that fluctuate a great amount. 60fps games just feel and look smoother.

I’m not going to debate the 30 vs 60 vs higher though. OP stated 15-20fps and we all agree that is bad. So, the people in this thread gave some very good options.

the Keeper.9310

Depending on the age of your system changing one component could lead to a chain reaction of having to change multiple components. CPU > Motherboard > PSU > Ram. Make sure all your parts are compatible before buying or you risk damaging/destroying them.

I do agree with most here that an upgrade to your CPU will net you the higest increase in performance.

That’s great… I have a degree in broadcast media and have been working in a/v production for over a decade. If you really want to get into it with me, I’ll explain why none of what was said on that linked page applies to games. Televisions (in the united states) refresh at 30 fps. Are you saying you can see the frame rate of your tv? No? Then run along and try to be smart elsewhere, cuz I forgot more than you will ever know about video production.

Posted by: Kiryana.5167

Kiryana.5167

That’s great… I have a degree in broadcast media and have been working in a/v production for over a decade. If you really want to get into it with me, I’ll explain why none of what was said on that linked page applies to games. Televisions (in the united states) refresh at 30 fps. Are you saying you can see the frame rate of your tv? No? Then run along and try to be smart elsewhere, cuz I forgot more than you will ever know about video production.

So, all the people buying 60hz and 120hz monitors are just being trolled by computer screen companies? I know I can tell a distinct difference at 85fps that I can at 30fps. And I was not trying to be ugly, I just provided a link that gave information. The fact that you were so easily upset about this and had to whip out the “I have a degree” card is a bit unsettling. I was only providing information for the OP and giving a difference of opinion. So you should probably check your elitist attitude at the door as this is a help forum and that all I was trying to do.

I like waffles.

the Keeper.9310

So, all the people buying 60hz and 120hz monitors are just being trolled by computer screen companies? I know I can tell a distinct difference at 85fps that I can at 30fps. And I was not trying to be ugly, I just provided a link that gave information. The fact that you were so easily upset about this and had to whip out the “I have a degree” card is a bit unsettling. I was only providing information for the OP and giving a difference of opinion. So you should probably check your elitist attitude at the door as this is a help forum and that all I was trying to do.

Yes people who buy 60-120hz monitors are throwing away money. And the link you provided assumes you are shooting through a camera with adjustable shutter speeds, irises, and filters. None of these things are present in a completely 3d modeled and rendered environment.

Trust me. I am an expert in this particular field.

Posted by: Amon.3192

Amon.3192

I started running with an i7-2600K with hyperthreading enabled and a Radeon HD 6750. I could only manage 60fps with medium settings, and the CPUs were pegged at nearly 90% load.

I upgraded the video card to a Radeon HD 7870, and just that one change allows me to run at 60fps at max settings—and my CPU load has dropped like a rock because all of that previously software rendered work was offloaded to the GPU.

Quad core makes a difference. So does hyperthreading—the audio, in particular, is offloaded onto the logical cores. A good GPU will make the difference between playing a medium quality and high quality, and impact your CPU load, which will impact your temperatures.

And, doing real-time work for a living, I can tell you that there is a very noticeable difference between 30fps and 60fps. The human eye can most definitely differentiate.

the Keeper.9310

The human eye can most definitely differentiate.

No, it can’t.

Posted by: Moonthrower.1406

Moonthrower.1406

Don’t forget that your max allowable RAM on Windows XP is only 3.3GB.

Disregard if you’re on Windows Vista 64-Bit or Windows 7 already.

Posted by: CoffeeKid.2095

CoffeeKid.2095

The guys over at TechReport.com did a great review of this topic. They took 7 AMD and 11 Intel CPUs and put them against each other.

I definitely recommend reading the article article.

i5-3470 is the best in terms for price for performance

Posted by: Zalastra.6290

Zalastra.6290

nuhuh. Eyes see continuously, they however don’t sent data to the brains very often. Most modern games will implement a degree of motion blur and will therefor be fluent enough around 30 fps.

Posted by: BernardBlack.4871

BernardBlack.4871

Arena Net, in their infinite wisdom, decided to go completely last-gen on us and build The game only to DX9 spec. Probably to increase Windows XP user support. Fine, but it would have been smarter to include DX11. Many of us sporting next-gen graphics cards aren’t making full use of these cards and still ending up with sloppy frame-rates because our Processors are taking all the hit. Realistically, we should be able to run a 2.5ghz and a DX11 card and get solid frame rates, with more help from the GPU. I think even Wow has the option to toggled between Direct X versions. Why couldn’t they do something simliar? DX11 card would stand to gain tremendous frame rate benefit, since DX11 allows developers to offload to the GPU. As it stands, Arena Net completley alienates DX10+ users graphically and performance wise, while making best friends with gamers from 2006. To get a decent 30FPS, I have to overclock my CPU to 4.6GHZ, when I overclock my GPU to 920mhz, it makes no difference from when it was at 840mhz. That tells you it’s all mostly on the CPU.

(edited by Moderator)

BernardBlack.4871

Arena Net, in their infinite wisdom, decided to go completely last-gen on us and build The game only to DX9 spec. Probably to increase Windows XP user support. Fine, but it would have been smarter to include DX11. Many of us sporting next-gen graphics cards aren’t making full use of these cards and still ending up with sloppy frame-rates because our Processors are taking all the hit. Realistically, we should be able to run a 2.5ghz and a DX11 card and get solid frame rates, with more help from the GPU. I think even Wow has the option to toggled between Direct X versions. Why couldn’t they do something simliar? DX11 card would stand to gain tremendous frame rate benefit, since DX11 allows developers to offload to the GPU. As it stands, Arena Net completley alienates DX10+ users graphically and performance wise, while making best friends with gamers from 2006. To get a decent 30FPS, I have to overclock my CPU to 4.6GHZ, when I overclock my GPU to 920mhz, it makes no difference from when it was at 840mhz. That tells you it’s all mostly on the CPU.

Okay, so I get 40-50FPS out in the world, in Lions Arch and other heavy traffic situations, I get 29-30. I should be hitting the FPS ceiling with 16GB DDR3, FX8150, and HD 6950. Every 100mhz I OC my CPU, I get a 1-3% FPS gain. I experienced this testing loads, starting from 3.6ghz. GPU makes no bit of difference, you may as well leave that default.

Additional Info, I am running everything maxed, including supersample, which high-end DX11 systems should be able to do. Heck this PC runs Crysis/ BF3 flawlessly at 40-50fps. GW2 isn’t exactly Crysis.

(edited by Moderator)

BernardBlack.4871

I suppose I should probably point out the obvious and note that I’m also sure that GW2’s code isn’t exactly enhanced for AMD CPU’s, like some other games, it probably just offloads everything all mostly on one core. I would love to hear how efficient and dream-like it runs for Intel products.

BernardBlack.4871

nuhuh. Eyes see continuously, they however don’t sent data to the brains very often. Most modern games will implement a degree of motion blur and will therefor be fluent enough around 30 fps.

I’ve heard this before, but what escapes me, is why when I play a game at 30fps does it seem more “hitchy.” When i play a game at 40-50fps, the animations and camera rotations and movements seem so buttery smooth. like liquid. Now, granted, I can’t see a different between, say, 40-60fps, I have to look at the stats to see what I’m getting, but I do see a buttery goodness, in motion, namely in camera rotations/ movements, from 40fps on. Perhaps when you’ve gamed sinec 1997 you begin to get a sense for this stuff but it’s almost like the difference of seeing a Bluray play at a standard 30, on a 60hz TV, as opposed to a 120hz TV. Everything moves so life-like.

Posted by: Rolo.9248

Rolo.9248

The human eye updates ~72Hz. You can verify this with a CRT monitor: I had to have a minimum of 75Hz refresh to not see flicker and 85Hz kept me from seeing any phosphor decay at all.

NTSC is only 60Hz and PAL is only 50Hz and movies are generally 24 or 29.9 FPS but those have motion blur to keep everything looking smooth; computer games don’t have that and are more like the stick-figure-on-a-notepad-animation-flip where you can see jerkiness because the notepad doesn’t have motion blur to smooth the gaps. You see Mr. Stickman’s lines jumping to simulate motion. You can make smaller jumps but you would have to increase FPS if you wanted Mr. Stickman to move at the same speed; this is what you’re seeing with computer games with <60 FPS being wholly perceptible (I can’t stand <60 FPS).

-+-

Re: OP. To decide which component to upgrade, you need to identify where your bottleneck(s) is(are):

- Is your CPU hitting 100% but your GPU isn’t? Upgrade your CPU.
- Is your GPU hitting 100% but your CPU is <85-90%? Upgrade your GPU.

Note, however, that CPUs and GPUs have to be matched: sure, a GTX580 on a Core2 Duo will do better than a GTS250 but the 580 won’t get even halfway utilised; a GTX260/280 would be more fitting at half the price (but not worth the money at this point; the 660Ti is a great value now and performs slightly better than the 580.

In your case, there really is no upgrading since everything (namely architecture) has changed. Getting the platform (motherboard, CPU, RAM) first is a good idea and you can upgrade your video card at any time later—your GPU will definitely be your bottleneck at that point.

i5-2500K 4.2GHz | 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, GTX580-882/2033
Crucial m4 128GB SSD (64GB SRT cache) | WD 2TB 2002FAEX | Antec Twelve Hundred
When I was your age, I could outrun a centaur…until I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: CoffeeKid.2095

CoffeeKid.2095

Arena Net, in their infinite wisdom, decided to go completely last-gen on us and build The game only to DX9 spec. Probably to increase Windows XP user support.

I believe it was a design decision to go with DX9 so that they can reach more people. By more people I mean consoles. Knowing that this game is heavily CPU bound it goes to reason that the move to DX9 is so the consoles can play as well. Having 10 year old hardware isn’t going really cut it when running this game. The frame rates will be too low for enjoyment. Its a great business move to reach a wider audience.

I believe it is consoles that is limiting the innovation and is hurting PC gaming. DX9 is 10 year old technology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX). Knowing that new games are being released all of the time using it so that they can be more easily ported.

Posted by: Calsie.2501

Calsie.2501

I feel sorry for the OP. So many bunny trails in this thread that help not at all.

This sticky from MMO-Champion is a good starting point in seeing system configurations at different price points.
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/986175-Marest-s-Sample-Builds

Once you start putting modern components into an out-of-date pc, you can suddenly find you don’t have a good enough power supply, or your case is too tight, or the cooling is inadequate. To say nothing of the compatibility issues.

I suggest that before you spend a penny, you make a plan and run it by some trusted computer nerds, either online or IRL. It would suck to put in a new video card and find that your pc shuts down every time you go into wvw.

As for the CPU question, yes it can make a big difference. But only if that is where your bottleneck is. This is a good tool that helps identify bottlenecks:
http://www.moo0.com/software/SystemMonitor/

(edited by Calsie.2501)

Posted by: Stenc.1394

Stenc.1394

One more article, they benchmarked GW2 on different HW configurations. Results could be quite interesting:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-performance-benchmark,3268.html

Posted by: Fildydarie.1496

Fildydarie.1496

Arena Net, in their infinite wisdom, decided to go completely last-gen on us and build The game only to DX9 spec. Probably to increase Windows XP user support.

I believe it was a design decision to go with DX9 so that they can reach more people. By more people I mean consoles. Knowing that this game is heavily CPU bound it goes to reason that the move to DX9 is so the consoles can play as well. Having 10 year old hardware isn’t going really cut it when running this game. The frame rates will be too low for enjoyment. Its a great business move to reach a wider audience.

I believe it is consoles that is limiting the innovation and is hurting PC gaming. DX9 is 10 year old technology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX). Knowing that new games are being released all of the time using it so that they can be more easily ported.

I recall hearing that reaching the intended audience required supporting DX9, and the effort to make what amounts to two separate game clients to support both DX9 and DX11 would degrade the reliability of both (testing resources for either version would be half what can be allocated to a single one). The decision was to release with DX9 support and work on DX11 for a future update.

-Fildydarie
Hutchmistress of the Fluffy Bunny Brigade [FBB]

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

the Keeper sounds like a troll to me lol.

All this talk about what you can see in terms of fps is irrelivant since any perosn reading this can test it and find out themsellves what they personaly can perceive. Just instal lan old gamethat you know runs supper fast, then limit the fps to say 20 ..then 30 then 40 and so on. You then have your answere :P
Ofcourse if you VDU is limited to 60hz then you can only go up to 60 fps, but say you have an old crt you could potentialy go to 75 or 85hz and if you have new 120hz monitor you can go to 120 fps

Anyway simple answere for OP. Yes that new cpu will most definatly help. But do take on board what peopel have said baaut requiring other new components to go with the new cpu .. i.e motherboard etc.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

I think a straight simple answer is on order;

Want faster graphics? The graphics card is everything.

The OP would be better of putting all his cash into a new graphics card.
Faster CPUs will offer little-to-no benefit in this case.