Came back to GW2, it's empty.

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Atrocity.5794

Atrocity.5794

I just came back and I’m sad to see no one in starting zones anymore as I re-rolled a new character so I could get back into the game.

I’m currently on Maguuma and I was on Darkhaven before using some gold to Transfer to what I thought was a more populated server.

Anyone know which servers are actually populated? Kinda sucks not being able to do group events and such since no one is in these areas anymore, :’(.

P.S I came back like a week ago before this event started

(edited by Atrocity.5794)

Posted by: AW Lore.5682

AW Lore.5682

its not empty, check rata sum, everybody is into the super fun d ungeon, 8 bit themed dungeon.

Posted by: Beleeth.9162

Beleeth.9162

What he said, everybody is on the super adventure box right now, or spamming Rata sum for groups!!!

Atrocity.5794

No it is empty, I don’t care about the dungeon I just did it got to the frog and then the leader of the party ended it lol.

I want a server that’s actually active.
I can’t even use my low level characters EVEN when events aren’t going on cause there is no one in that area.

Atrocity.5794

Atrocity.5794

I’m simply asking for a server that is active in PVe, meaning 1-80 areas all ways has people there…

Posted by: Medazolam.3058

Medazolam.3058

I’m on one of the lowest population servers and there are people everywhere in the starting zones.

Search the forums before bumping your own thread

Oh and…

Guesting, try it out

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

With recent updates, the game has concentrated (pulled people from the rest of the world) players into a farming cycle of the open world events where the content is easier and rewards are better…and on a timer no less. Unless you can find a guild who wants to actually do dungeons and other open world things, you may as well consign yourself to being generally alone in the world. Until they fix it, if they fix it I mean, they will probably throw another patch in to break something else instead.

Atrocity.5794

I’m on one of the lowest population servers and there are people everywhere in the starting zones.

Search the forums before bumping your own thread

Oh and…

Guesting, try it out

Already searched no definitive answers found, but what server is it you play on? I’m guessing switching to one of the HIGHER Populated servers wasn’t such a good idea considering it cost me 47G for the 1800 gems required to transfer.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

its not empty, check rata sum, everybody is into the super fun d ungeon, 8 bit themed dungeon.

What he said.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Atrocity.5794

Lol, good answer why don’t you leave something of use instead of being a troll.

Lol, mad someone trolled a troll thread. Good one.

LMFAO, if you actually took the time to read the kittening thread you would realize I’m being serious and not trolling, read before you post.

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

I just came back and I’m sad to see no one in starting zones anymore as I re-rolled a new character so I could get back into the game.

I’m currently on Maguuma and I was on Darkhaven before using some gold to Transfer to what I thought was a more populated server.

Anyone know which servers are actually populated? Kinda sucks not being able to do group events and such since no one is in these areas anymore, :’(.

Don’t listen to the trolls on here. There is a population problem. The maps are empty and they were before the event started. It’s not just the starter areas either. You will find yourself fully leveled, repeating the same couple of events because no one is on the map.

You’re right. It’s a real problem. I hope the devs are taking is seriously. Its making the game way less fun to play.

Atrocity.5794

Thank you SHM for the straight answer, I did see something about free transfers to the medium populated servers maybe their more active per say?

killcannon.2576

Thank you SHM for the straight answer, I did see something about free transfers to the medium populated servers maybe their more active per say?

No matter where you go it will be the same, people have just flowed to the easy event farming.

Posted by: Scourge.4317

Scourge.4317

Don’t listen to the trolls on here. There is a population problem. The maps are empty and they were before the event started. It’s not just the starter areas either. You will find yourself fully leveled, repeating the same couple of events because no one is on the map.

You’re right. It’s a real problem. I hope the devs are taking is seriously. Its making the game way less fun to play.

Yeah some maps don’t have many people in them what else is new? This happens in every mmorpg. You really expect all zones to be 24/7 hustle and bustle? It would be kitten awesome but not realistic. TC is a pretty populated server. They really utilize the world Arena-net created and its a lot of fun there.

Posted by: Rofocal.1360

Rofocal.1360

I am wondering what you think ANET can do about this problem. They CAN NOT force people to play in those lower level zones, unless they decide to delete everyones toons and make them start all over again .

Only solution i see is if the individuals themselves put the effort into finding others to play with and not rely on ANET to do everything for you.

They already offer guesting, which if people would stop being anti-social could organize other players and level with them. They also have guilds you can join and maybe find others that want to start a new toon.

Other than that, ANET CAN NOT do anything else.

Atrocity.5794

I love all the trolls on this forum, ha. I supposed I should of figured this would eventually happen, I mean when I was active I was playing during the first 3 months of release and never had these issues, but now it’s like 6 or so months later and here we are with no one to party up with in low levels or just have that fun from slaying giant beast that randomly spawned during events.

We can let this thread die now.

AW Lore.5682

while some may be trolling, not all are trolling

what do you want anet to do? you want to merge servers? where they’ve already made a move where they had people from super high populated servers into mid servers, so the people are there, maybe not in your time zone perhaps

so how about then you give us an idea, a proposition of how you’d solve this issue

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

I love all the trolls on this forum, ha. I supposed I should of figured this would eventually happen, I mean when I was active I was playing during the first 3 months of release and never had these issues, but now it’s like 6 or so months later and here we are with no one to party up with in low levels or just have that fun from slaying giant beast that randomly spawned during events.

We can let this thread die now.

People can level to 80 in a day, a week, less than a month. So in low areas your not going to see much but the new players. Most people right now are doing the April event, others are farming the bosses maw etc. Even others are doing dungeons which you won’t see because they are in the instance. There are a lot of people playing, but because of the easiness of leveling you won’t see them for long unless you are 80 and hanging out where everyone else does.

As far as servers you can transfer free to “some” servers if they are medium. You can transfer for paid otherwise. You can guest on 2 servers a week? I think. As far as Arenanets solution for empty zones they are adding living story to low level zones this should help some, and more content to come. The games “life force” will only feel as alive and active as players make it. There is no artificial way to make you feel more enveloped in a sea of people comfortably. As more content comes, and the people who waited for things to be added/changed come back, you will see more. But we really need some culling removal if that does happen, wvw is nice, but pve needs it too.

Anyway, you can find which server fits you best, mine seems fine except the 800 people in Rata Sum at the moment :P

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

I don’t have the answer to that. I am on a full server and experiencing what you are. You can try guesting. Tarnished coast and Sea of sorrows seem to be more populated servers. However, I see the exact same problem there too.

Ironicly, I sometimes found myself going back to the low level areas because the events were more managable with less players when you are decently equipped.

I really don’t know what else to say. Do your personal story and level any way you can for now. Just realize this problem does not go away.

Good luck

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

I suggest Jade Quarry. As long as your into WvW too

Atrocity.5794

I’m not looking for ANET to solve this issue I’m asking you guys, the people who stayed what the most active server is at the moment for pve or at least new players. Since I took a break from PC I forgot what the heck I was doing in Guild Wars 2 so I decided to roll a new character so I can catch up and have a fresh start.

Like I mentioned though when I played it was the first three months and everywhere was packed, but like someone else mentions it’s an MMO and eventually people get burned out and I understand that.

I just want some decent server suggestions, I came from Darkhaven to transfer into Maguuma, which is good and all for the WvW bonuses and the occasional WvW zergs, but I’m not much into that at the moment.

EDIT: Thank you JJBigs for the suggestion for Jade Quarry I also read it’s decently active but I have 2 servers locked for guesting and 2 days before I can transfer so I must wait before checking it out.

AW Lore.5682

then there is not much to say really, get a bff and play together, thats what im doing

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Lol, good answer why don’t you leave something of use instead of being a troll.

Take your own advice…

No matter what anyone here says, you will be convinced the game is empty.

I could tell you people are:

• Doing dungeons
  • Doing new super adventure box
  • In WvW (depending on your server)
  • Doing fractals
  • just chilling in LA or doing solo exploration

But no matter what, you would just dismiss it and say the game is empty…

But if you really just wanna run around for the sake of seeing other people TC and JQ are for you.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: gillius.2856

gillius.2856

gw2 is no where near empty. its more busy than i would have thought. there are ques for wvw people wanting dungeons and fractles… and i always see guild recruiting… all the time,

im sorry but if you think its empty you need to change server or something

killcannon.2576

Well, what can Anet do? Seen that posted here more than once. So, here’s what they can do 1. Don’t concentrate loot into easily farmed events 2. Make reward= effort involved 3. Give champions and veterans drops (these don’t need to be rares, can be multiple loot bags, multiple crafting components) 4. Remove the farming of open world events by attaching meaningful and challenging meta event chains to world boss spawns that encompass the entire map (instead of one small area) This is what Anet could do, but doesn’t. Trolls indeed.

Posted by: captaincrash.6528

captaincrash.6528

The game is not empty. The world is big plus instances and PvP, people hiding everywhere. I have never not been able to find people. If under 50 people in certain areas = the game is dead, then yep, it’s dead. So is Warcrafts new patch area, but apparently that game has millions. You can’t look at one piece of scenery, not see x amount of people and cry that it’s dead.

Crash ~ Charr Reaper

Posted by: Monstrowhale.9156

Monstrowhale.9156

TL;DR on all the troll replies, but to the OP, not too sure about low level maps, but check for servers getting busy in WvW ranks to get a measure of population involved, maybe.

I am on Far Shiverpeaks, and while I don’t run low level characters through hearts on maps, things seem busy. Some friends on other servers, like Gandara don’t seem to think it’s dead.

Many other servers are fine too I’m guessing.

Plantbearpig [PONY]
FSP

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

I am wondering what you think ANET can do about this problem. They CAN NOT force people to play in those lower level zones, unless they decide to delete everyones toons and make them start all over again .

Only solution i see is if the individuals themselves put the effort into finding others to play with and not rely on ANET to do everything for you.

Arenanet has gone on record stating they do not want to put tools in the game for people to find active events, or means to find crowds of people that’s not the commander diamond. Requests to remove waypoint costs to reflect superior design decisions in GW1 were also ignored, or worse yet, shouted down by the community, increasing the difficulty in moving yourself to an active area as well.

Fixing this poor attitude would do a lot to alleviate the issue, in fact.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

I’m in Sea of Sorrows and it doesn’t seem empty to me here. I made a new character a few days ago and I see a fair few people around most of the maps.

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

I always find it helps to check the dailies, and go to the starting zone associated with any “[Region] Slayer” or “[Region] Event” dailies. “[Region] Veteran Slayer” is not so good, since level 80s will just steamroll the easiest veterans, and not care one iota about helping new characters with them.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

I love in the Borlis Pass server (america) and all the starting areas are jammed. Map chat is either filled with people looking for events/groups/guilds or just random things.

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

weeeeell of course there are less people in starting zones compared to the day this all went live (was always overflow). We kept playing and have multiple 80’s…
I rolled my 5th last month (to 80), norn warrior, almost felt the zones were over populated… especially with the frozen maw event lol

since level 80s will just steamroll the easiest veterans, and not care one iota about helping new characters with them.

rangers… hehehe
Point blank… what was that in quake 3? oh yeah, “Denied!”.
They should really replace that with a root and scoot. Pin your target and then leap back like the thief does. Had rangers denying my warrior, hated it, used like a grief. But yeah, too many 80’s going for easy-easy kills to do dailes imo, then just stepping on players that have no choice but to be there (lowbies).

(edited by Daywolf.2630)

Posted by: McDili.1549

McDili.1549

No it is empty, I don’t care about the dungeon I just did it got to the frog and then the leader of the party ended it lol.

I want a server that’s actually active.
I can’t even use my low level characters EVEN when events aren’t going on cause there is no one in that area.

Every server is going to have low population in the low level areas. Most people have 80’s so most of the players will be doing level 80 content.

Maguuma isn’t empty, people are on all the time. Some of the WvW maps get queues every day. Use a little more common sense.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Tarnished Coast is busy most of the time, though as of this addition, alot of people are playing around in the Super Fun Box. But it’s still one of the busiest servers at least for open world content.

Posted by: phil.1870

phil.1870

I’m on Blackgate.. Yesterday I was mapping Queensdale and It was on “overflow” most of the time I was there. When I was out of overflow, their were literally crowds of people running around. This could be because people were farming events to finish monthly’s. I leveled in the Sylvari starting zone about a month ago and seemed some what empty. I would announce an event was happening and about a half dozen people show up to help.

Nodferatu….QT

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

Actually its not that the game is dead its that theres 3 very specific seperators for population!

WvW…. hundreds of players are there, you wont see them in start zones or even endgame zones for pve…. why because they are pvping in a different land.

Spvp…. another huge chunk of players standing aroudn and pvping in the mists…. not gonna see them in pve land either.

Another huge chunk of players, chillen in lions arch and doing fractals.

Currently another huge chunk are hanging in rata doing the new content.

Its not that the population is dead, its that the population has matured and are spread in many different areas.

Lets not forget that not even a week ago you couldn’t even zone into world events going on without going into overflow because everyone would be there to kill a dragon lol…..

Go check out wayfarer foothills grantee theres alot of people there leveling off the events, because its the best way to level…. many older players just craft 1 to 80 as well so another reason you wont see players in start areas…..

If this game had WvW integrated with pve and a flagging system you would probably hit overflow on a few maps where pvp was going on because thats how many people in this game pvp.

(edited by Namu.5712)

Posted by: spritefire.5234

spritefire.5234

Sheesh find a server that is most active in YOUR timezone.

Posted by: Nappychappy.7046

Nappychappy.7046

The game world has been pretty dead since early on when the guesting system first broke. On my main I powered to 80 (3dhs), but when I went back for map completion a lot of the zones were already dying off. My second character was hit and miss, by the time I 80’d my 4th character I struggled leveling, I think I ran into the grand total of 3 people while leveling in open world. It got to the point where I only did WvW for xp and I picked up my last 12 levels via crafting.

Contrary to Anets belief, the game changes drastically as you enter “endgame”. The whole game isn’t endgame like they had hoped, then again they made it this way with scaling and a shotty reward system.

You are using 21 of 100 infractions ermm, PMs.

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

Ever since the new dailies system the zones have been busy. I always see people spamming map chat for events that are up and if you go there heaps of people are attempting them. Sometimes in the major group events there are too many people there and the scaling can’t handle the amount of people.

I’m on Sea of Sorrows. Some events will be untouched because unless you send out a /map message people won’t come to help you since they don’t know they are up.

Since I live in the Oceanic region and SoS is a Oceanic server there is always a lot of people on out in the world doing quests.

This has to be one of the busiest open world MMO games ever, I came from WoW and trust me you have no idea how bad it can get. A game where everyone sat in two capital cities spamming trade chat due to boredom.

Nappychappy.7046

Ever since the new dailies system the zones have been busy. I always see people spamming map chat for events that are up and if you go there heaps of people are attempting them. Sometimes in the major group events there are too many people there and the scaling can’t handle the amount of people.

I’m on Sea of Sorrows. Some events will be untouched because unless you send out a /map message people won’t come to help you since they don’t know they are up.

Since I live in the Oceanic region and SoS is a Oceanic server there is always a lot of people on out in the world doing quests.

This has to be one of the busiest open world MMO games ever, I came from WoW and trust me you have no idea how bad it can get. A game where everyone sat in two capital cities spamming trade chat due to boredom.

WoW starter zones didn’t die off until like 3 years after launch, hell 2 years after launch starter zones looked like BWE 1-2 and three.

Vayne.8563

WoW starter zones didn’t die off until like 3 years after launch, hell 2 years after launch starter zones looked like BWE 1-2 and three.

Sure, because WoW had very little competition back then. There aren’t a hundred free MMOs. What MMOs existed were pay to play, except for Guild Wars 1, which wasn’t a true MMO at all, but a multiplayer RPG that didn’t capture the mainstream.

With no competition, or very little, it’s not surprising that the zones didn’t empty out fast. And the advertising budget that Blizzard had didn’t hurt either.

How does that apply to today, where DDO, Lotrol Age of Conan, and SWToR are all advertised as free to play (even though most of them are P2W and you can’t “really” play for free"?

It’s a bad comparison.

Nappychappy.7046

Sure, because WoW had very little competition back then. There aren’t a hundred free MMOs. What MMOs existed were pay to play, except for Guild Wars 1, which wasn’t a true MMO at all, but a multiplayer RPG that didn’t capture the mainstream.

With no competition, or very little, it’s not surprising that the zones didn’t empty out fast. And the advertising budget that Blizzard had didn’t hurt either.

How does that apply to today, where DDO, Lotrol Age of Conan, and SWToR are all advertised as free to play (even though most of them are P2W and you can’t “really” play for free"?

It’s a bad comparison.

Really? 100’s of crap F2P mmo’s are now crushing this AAA B2P mmo?

Vayne.8563

It’s a bad comparison.

Well, let’s see. Last I looked, Lotro is a major brand name and yes, people play it because they love Lord of the Rings. Same with Dungeons and Dragons, Same with Star Wars. Not so much AoC since Conan isn’t as big a brand. But Rift is relatively popular too.

The thing is, if you added up 100 games, and each of them only have 200,000 players, you still end up with 20 million people not playing a game. The math isn’t that hard.

If you go into Perfect World, people play it. Hell there are a few hundred thousand people playing Eve. There are games like Terra who have part of the marketshare.

I can almost guarantee there are more people playing other MMOs than there are playing WoW.

Posted by: arakkune.1429

arakkune.1429

im on aurora glade and its packed non stop :P

Posted by: McDili.1549

McDili.1549

The hubs where people sat forever were part of starter zones though, it’s a bit different in GW2.

Nappychappy.7046

It’s a bad comparison.

Well, let’s see. Last I looked, Lotro is a major brand name and yes, people play it because they love Lord of the Rings. Same with Dungeons and Dragons, Same with Star Wars. Not so much AoC since Conan isn’t as big a brand. But Rift is relatively popular too.

The thing is, if you added up 100 games, and each of them only have 200,000 players, you still end up with 20 million people not playing a game. The math isn’t that hard.

If you go into Perfect World, people play it. Hell there are a few hundred thousand people playing Eve. There are games like Terra who have part of the marketshare.

I can almost guarantee there are more people playing other MMOs than there are playing WoW.

Pre-WoW launch, there was plenty of mmo’s people loved, post-WoW launch even more games come out + 3 years after that.

Look up the mmo’s from 2003 to 2007 and tell me WoW was the only one worth playing. Don’t forget about investment of time/money (subfees), and social attachment people had pre-WoW/post.

The biggest problem with GW2 is it gates all the little things and gives you a direct path to the “end boss”. In my opinion they emphasize on the journey, yet the journey is short and anti-climatic. Then to keep you around ANet gates crap like daily’s, something that hasn’t been popular Netherdrake rep in TBC 2007ish – 6 years ago 12 million people: “I hate dailys”.

Anet loves to do it all backwards so imo, GW2 will go entirely F2P, then finally add tonnes of items to the cash shop that would have saved it from the beginning. To late Titan will be on it’s way out and mind blowing, because it’s important to know what works and what doesn’t.

No matter how much you, even me, who can’t stomach looking at WoW, it is still king, for this simple reason. Blizzard invests in whats best for the game that both keeps players paying and playing.

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

Im on a medium pop server and its never empty… i always find players.
Many tend to run to the bigger events in zone aswell so you could look for those.

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

well this thread is getting pretty serious, so i guess i’ll chime in

in PvE, you have to understand…if people are level 80, they are doing one of three things….Dungeons, Fractals, or in the level 80 zones

your also 8 months into a game, so the only people your running into are altoholics, and this game shuns people who want alts atm…which means there are going to be a limited number of people in each zone that is meant for leveling……if your trying to play at 3am…its going to be dead….if your playing at 7 or 8pm, it will be much more populated….

but ur still going to have to announce an event is going on….most people do this by linking the nearest waypoint and giving directions from it….then most of the people in the zone will flock to your location to help

Posted by: Kalocin.5982

Kalocin.5982

Merge every server and use overflow servers for the big zones. Population problem solved.