Can I buy a mini for a friend somehow?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Havana.8625

Havana.8625

My friend mentioned he liked the lion mini, and I desperately want to buy it for him, but it is account bound. Is there anyway I could buy it for him? (Even a roundabout method would be cool.)

“We don’t need to make gear treadmills”
Colin Johanson on how arenanet measures success.
(Please no gear treadmills, Colin!)

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Tht one you cannot buy directly. You should be able to give your friend enough gold to buy the gems needed. It is not cheap that way though.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

You can buy these off course at many many locations, but to name one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guild-Wars-Gem-Card-DVD/dp/B00935B4O4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368021982&sr=8-2&keywords=guild+wars2+gem

Buy this card, give the card to your friend (or if you cant give it physicly, give the code), and he canuse the gems to buy this.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Draco Aurum.7520

Draco Aurum.7520

Yes, it’s quite easy. Mail him enough Gold to buy the Gems himself so that he can purchase the mini.
If you don’t have enough Gold you could buy Gems with real money and sell them, then mail him the proceeds of the sale.

Posted by: GreenNekoHaunt.8527

GreenNekoHaunt.8527

1. Send him the gold requires
2. Give or send him the real life money or a card to redeem.

There’s no other way to send him the gems you have (or a part of it) however.

Gamer & Developer; Playing games is part of making games! Gather experience and make games!

Posted by: Havana.8625

Havana.8625

Would be nicest to send the actual mini or 400 gems straight to him, but I can send gold instead (and hopefully the exchange rate will stay the same.) Might be nice if Anet makes it easier to gift gemstore items. I’d make some purchases, and Anet would make some $$$. I’ll post that to suggestions.

“We don’t need to make gear treadmills”
Colin Johanson on how arenanet measures success.
(Please no gear treadmills, Colin!)

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

Or you can ask him to buy the gems from the store but you pay from your paypal account.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Or you can ask him to buy the gems from the store but you pay from your paypal account.

Wouldn’t they have to have your paypal info to do this? That would be a horrible idea no matter how good of friends you are.

The Burninator

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

You could send him the money through paypal and then he could use his paypal account to buy the mini.

It would be good if Anet let us gift gems without having to buy a gem card (which isn’t always available). It might be a relatively niche service but I imagine it would also be relatively simple to implement. (If they did I’d recommend NOT allowing people to type the recipients name in though. Enough people get it wrong with in-game mail, I don’t envy Anet’s support if people are able to screw up spending real money too.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

JustTrogdor.7892

You could send him the money through paypal and then he could use his paypal account to buy the mini.

It would be good if Anet let us gift gems without having to buy a gem card (which isn’t always available). It might be a relatively niche service but I imagine it would also be relatively simple to implement. (If they did I’d recommend NOT allowing people to type the recipients name in though. Enough people get it wrong with in-game mail, I don’t envy Anet’s support if people are able to screw up spending real money too.)

That would be a slippery slope and open up a whole possible can of worms that could mess with the games economy. People could easily abuse it.

Imagine a group buys up all of a specific high demand item available in TP and then tells people if they want it they have to pay in gems. Suddenly you have gems as another form of currency in game which could be a problem and could then increase the need for players to spend RW money for actual game play gear the want to have for the meat and potatoes of game play. I’m not talking about having a miniature and items like that. I mean armor and weapons and such.

I imagine there is a good reason that they don’t allow gems to enter the game as a trade item.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’m not suggesting we should be able to trade gems as an in-game currency.

I was thinking of it more as a ‘gift’ option on the gem store. Where you can currently click to buy gems and have them added to your account you could instead pick to gift gems and pick a name from your friends list to give them to. Then you pay as normal and the gems appear on their account as if they’d bought them.

I suppose someone could demand that people have to “gift” them gems in return for in-game items (especially if they’re controlling the supply) but if they really wanted to do that they could already do the same thing with Paypal – demand that someone pays them in real-money and then they send the item by mail.

Which I’m pretty sure is against the EULA (and possibly also illegal since all items in this game are Anet’s intellectual property and you can’t sell things you don’t own) and would get you banned. Which would be even more likely if the real-money transfer was done through an in-game option to gift gems because Anet would be able to track it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

JustTrogdor.7892

I’m not suggesting we should be able to trade gems as an in-game currency.

I was thinking of it more as a ‘gift’ option on the gem store. Where you can currently click to buy gems and have them added to your account you could instead pick to gift gems and pick a name from your friends list to give them to. Then you pay as normal and the gems appear on their account as if they’d bought them.

I suppose someone could demand that people have to “gift” them gems in return for in-game items (especially if they’re controlling the supply) but if they really wanted to do that they could already do the same thing with Paypal – demand that someone pays them in real-money and then they send the item by mail.

Which I’m pretty sure is against the EULA (and possibly also illegal since all items in this game are Anet’s intellectual property and you can’t sell things you don’t own) and would get you banned. Which would be even more likely if the real-money transfer was done through an in-game option to gift gems because Anet would be able to track it.

I suppose I misunderstood your post, sorry. I think the best way to handle this would be to simply allow players to buy things like minipets, skins, transmutation stones etc.. and give them as gifts to their friends. You could add a little more fun to their game. For example, guilds could give a member a surprise gift for their birthday, or for contributions to the guild, or just for the heck of it.

This would be more fun than just giving a guild member gold to buy gems then buy something. It’s kind of like it is more fun to try to find a gift for someone that fits their personality or something they have talked about wanting instead of giving gold and saying, “Go buy yourself something nice.” Of course that would be an option as well if someone wanted to do that.

It is rather unfortunate that people will always try to find ways to abuse the system as it causes problems for honest players.

The Burninator