Can i improve my character somehow without grinding?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Leeto.1570

Leeto.1570

So i normally do sPVP, but felt sad that whole PVE part of game is wasted then so i want to do something in it but i can only find grind or things that give no rewards. For now only thing that i found that isnt grindfest was getting WVWVW gear but i noticed that you can only buy gear with vit/pow which is not needed for my condition necro.
Is there some way to obtain level 80 exotics or just nice looking gear without repeating same thing over and over and over again?

Posted by: Avatar.1923

at one point gear shouldnt be the focus i think.
itll happen when you dont expect it

i would suggest you enjoy exploring, pvp or wvw. or maybe start a guild of dungeon raiders?

anyway. thats the game.
and its amazing.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

You can buy good gear with gold. You can buy gold with gems. You can buy gems with $$.

In game, you’ll have to do something, a lot, to get gear. You won’t have to do it quite as “a lot” as most other MMOs, but there are brakes in the game to slow you from instantly getting it. Unless you wanna gem-store it.

Leeto.1570

Ye i thought the gear wont be focus too, but seems PVErs have different opinion on what is easily achievable, to get max stat gear i must engage hardcore grindfest.
I loved exploring till i understood that everyone else from my guild is farming gear and now im weakest link on our wvwvw team cause im only one still running around in low level gear.

Leeto.1570

well seems ill go with mulch method, cause gold is thing you can get without grinding.

Posted by: dirksherlock.2015

dirksherlock.2015

You can buy good gear with gold. You can buy gold with gems. You can buy gems with $$.

i really hope you aren’t dumb enough to defend this

Posted by: Dgenerate.1948

Dgenerate.1948

From what I’ve been told over and over on this forum, don’t make gear a priority. This game isn’t about gear, but the “experience”… lol I know right?

Arenanet, I challenge you to impress me.
I say it like it is.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

Ok wise me up. where’d I go wrong?

Posted by: Vladia.2731

Vladia.2731

Do one dungeon a day and WvWvW for the rest of the time. It’s not grinding if you don’t make it grinding. You will eventually get the exotics you desire. Rare > Exotic is a very minor stat increase. You’re not missing that much. Honest.

Posted by: Tradewind.6913

Tradewind.6913

Did he miss a step? Nope, pretty sure that’s exactly the way to go about doing it if you don’t want to do any work at all in the game.

dirksherlock.2015

“and it’s never OK for players who spend money to have an unfair advantage over players who spend time.” – Mike O’Brien

http://www.arena.net/blog/mike-obrien-on-microtransactions-in-guild-wars-2

Tradewind.6913

“and it’s never OK for players who spend money to have an unfair advantage over players who spend time.” – Mike O’Brien

Advantage would assume that you can buy your way above them.

dirksherlock.2015

Advantage would assume that you can buy your way above them.

How can’t they? I’m punished for farming the materials I need when someone can drop money and purchase them immediately from the TP.

Tradewind.6913

Oh you’re one of those. That’s not really the issue though, that’s just someone having more gold than you in general. I could accomplish the same thing without paying a dime.

Posted by: Manifoldgodhead.2356

Manifoldgodhead.2356

You can spend real money for convenience, as in, it is convenient to never have to play the game and still have the top gear. You will never get better than others through spending real money.

Posted by: Fildydarie.1496

Fildydarie.1496

I have 5 exotics now and average 1/day. I craft my own and get the materials from spending ~30 minutes in Orr. It is not a significant upgrade over my rares. I wouldn’t say that I "[repeat the] same thing over and over again," I just spend 30 minutes doing whatever events are active while hunting ore and other nodes.

Plying the game is what you make it--if you have a goal, you will have to work towards it. If you want to reach it sooner instead of later, you will need to find an efficient path and repeat it to maximize gain/time. If you’re not in a hurry, it is just cumulative progress as you do what you want. Eventually you’ll get there.

-Fildydarie
Hutchmistress of the Fluffy Bunny Brigade [FBB]

Posted by: RShara.3265

RShara.3265

To level, do exploration and crafting. It gives stupid amounts of experience.

For gear, just run around the world. Maybe buy a couple MF food items (omnomberry bars cost just over a silver each and last 30 min for a 30% boost). Do the big DE’s with lots of enemies—Gendarra has a caravan that spawns every 10 min or so, Hirathi has all those Centaur events, Bloodtide has a dragon and a krait event, etc etc etc

Easy money, easy drops and easy gear.

You play the game to get gear, or pay money to get gear. It’s whichever way you find more fulfilling.
$ won’t get you any better gear than the person who played a few hours a day and crafted/found/TP’d the same items.