Can someone explain this to me?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: RuggedBaby.5802

RuggedBaby.5802

Can someone explain to me why my brand-new $1100 computer is playing Guild Wars 2, on medium settings, at only 20 fps? This is crap, there must be something wrong….
Intel i5-3450 Ivy Bridge @3.1Ghz, 8gb DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon HD7870 2GB….

I’m about to rage…

Posted by: Erin.7521

Erin.7521

Have you tried this sticky thread in the player vs player forum?

Linky

Edit: Darn thought I had got the hang of forum formatting!

Rocking on Piken Square – the un-official EU roleplay server.

RuggedBaby.5802

Have you tried this sticky thread in the player vs player forum?

Linky

Edit: Darn thought I had got the hang of forum formatting!

That says something being for Nvidia GPUs, I’m using an AMD GPU.

And besides, should I really need to change any settings to play an effing MMO with a $260 GPU with 2GB of VRAM? It just doesn’t make any sense!!

Posted by: Saiyren.4862

Saiyren.4862

That seems rather low…

I’m running an i7-2600k with 4GB of RAM and a Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 setup in eyefinity (with bevel resolution it’s 5970 × 1080 across all three monitors) and I’m holding up around 50fps on average and dip to about 30fps in large events with huge amounts of players.

I used the “Auto-detect” setting to see what it gave me for the best “suggested” settings and everything is on high, though some of the post processing / high rez character models are disabled. You could check those and see what happens perhaps.

RuggedBaby.5802

That seems rather low…

I’m running an i7-2600k with 4GB of RAM and a Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 setup in eyefinity (with bevel resolution it’s 5970 × 1080 across all three monitors) and I’m holding up around 50fps on average and dip to about 30fps in large events with huge amounts of players.

I used the “Auto-detect” setting to see what it gave me for the best “suggested” settings and everything is on high, though some of the post processing / high rez character models are disabled. You could check those and see what happens perhaps.

I hit auto-detect and it put everything at medium to low, is it maybe using the integrated intel GPU? If so, how to I change it??

Posted by: phanmc.6759

phanmc.6759

That says something being for Nvidia GPUs, I’m using an AMD GPU.

Same rule is likely to apply, the drivers that comes with the videocard is likely several months old. Even if you bought a new PC, the drivers are likely to still be old since they get updated every few months. Update to the latest drivers.

And besides, should I really need to change any settings to play an effing MMO with a $260 GPU with 2GB of VRAM? It just doesn’t make any sense!!

Welcome to PC gaming, where there are millions of different hardware configurations that cannot all be accounted for.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Rolo.9248

Rolo.9248

I agree something doesn’t sound right but can’t help with technical issues without complete technical data…

- Motherboard
- RAM speed
- Video driver version (please don’t say, “the latest” because half the people who’ve said that I’ve caught not being on “the latest”) and configuration/profile
- Monitor resolution and refresh rate
- How does GW2 perform at high and low settings? What does it autodetect?
- What are all your GW2 display settings?
- Where are you standing/viewing and getting 20FPS?
- What is telling you 20FPS? (options dialog?)

Edit: attaching a DXdiag would help

i5-2500K 4.2GHz | 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, GTX580-882/2033
Crucial m4 128GB SSD (64GB SRT cache) | WD 2TB 2002FAEX | Antec Twelve Hundred
When I was your age, I could outrun a centaur…until I took an arrow to the knee

(edited by Rolo.9248)

Posted by: Drintar.1246

Drintar.1246

To answer your question yes it may be using on board video. You will want to make sure on board video is disabled in the BIOS. Next question is are you using the 12.8 drivers with CAP 2?

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

L’enfer, c’est les autres

RuggedBaby.5802

catalyst version is 12.8, where do i find if its CAP 2

Posted by: Drintar.1246

Drintar.1246

THIS page has the driver and the CAP 2 profile for download for your card for a 64 bit windows 7 OS wasn’t sure about your OS so if it’s 32 just do a search for your OS

RuggedBaby.5802

Motherboard: Asrock H77 Pro4-M
- RAM speed: How do I find speed?
- Video driver version (please don’t say, “the latest” because half the people who’ve said that I’ve caught not being on “the latest”) and configuration/profile: I go on Catalyst Control Center, and then down to Information —> Software Update and it says it’s up to date, is there something else I have to download?
- Monitor resolution and refresh rate: 1920 × 1080 60Hz
- How does GW2 perform at high and low settings? What does it autodetect? Best performance settings about 20fps, high about 10, autodetects a mixture of high and medium settings (I have an integrated intel graphics 2500 too).
- What are all your GW2 display settings? right now everything is literally on its lowest settings except for res which is windowed 1920-1080
- Where are you standing/viewing and getting 20FPS? the human start point
- What is telling you 20FPS? (options dialog?) options

RuggedBaby.5802

THIS page has the driver and the CAP 2 profile for download for your card for a 64 bit windows 7 OS wasn’t sure about your OS so if it’s 32 just do a search for your OS

It’s 64-bit, I have the first one installed but I didn’t have the CAP 2 installed.