Can't Claim PoI that have Chevrons

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Teh Time Rider.6732

Teh Time Rider.6732

Q:

So yeah, some PoIs have chevrons on the bottom right corner and I can’t claim them, which is really, really annoying for someone who’s trying to go through and do complete exploring in the sections he’s level past. Picture shows the icon, thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments:

Posted by: Mystic Starfish.2586

Mystic Starfish.2586

A:

That means it’s below you, or above you if the arrow points up. For that particular one, try going to the water and swimming to the point. You’ll find it’s a cave with a quaggan who mocks you.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Indeed. GW2 uses all three dimensions very neatly. You’ll find plenty of nice secrets if you just explore a bit further

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Likewise I notice there’s one to the south which you tried and failed to claim. In that screenshot it doesn’t have a chevron but I’m guessing when you got there it did.

That’s because you went up the outside of a small mountain and the POI is in a cave underneath.

It’s a good idea to glance at your map every so often if you’re heading towards a POI or vista (or even a waypoint), especially if you find yourself going up or down hill or if you’re underground to see if one of those appears. If it does it’s a good idea to stop and look around for another path.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Teh Time Rider.6732

Thanks for all the help, I tried flipping the map into the up and down layers, but they faded out, throwing me off.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Yeah that doesn’t work for caves, just cities that have two or more layers.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

A little ‘hint’ that ANet added in for locations like these is that the entrances to these caves and underwater caves most often have a resource node like ore located at their entrance.

Find the resource on your map, and quite often that is an entrance to the spot you are trying to get.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Another note on the “Chevrons” — they are actually map layers, planes stacked atop each other. If you click on one that is greyed out, your map will switch to that level of the map. Very useful in places like the Grove for accessing wps.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

This page is btw. very helpful if you have problems finding the way to a spot :
http://gw2.mmorpg-life.com/interactive-maps/

If you click on a spot there are always some pictures that help you find the way

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Teh Time Rider.6732

Wow, thanks for all the further help!

Kudos to Danikat for noticing that he could give me a hand with the next spot and thanks to Beldin for the map!