Chosing a profession for everything

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: FullMetalToast.4918

FullMetalToast.4918

Hi! I’ve been playing for two years and I’ve decided that it’s time for me to settle on a profession. I’ve had over 15 lvl 80 characters fully geared only to end up deleting them. This means that even after 2 years, I have literally nothing compared to someone who focused more on playing than on finding the “perfect” profession.

The thing is, I always liked having a main because having a lot of characters overwhelms me. So I want to focus on a class to do “general” content, which means everything but raids (Because raids require more specfic roles).

As I’ve played every profession, I know them enough to decide what I like, but I can’t. And there’s going to be someone telling me to play what I like. But every profession has a flaw that makes me doubt about it and think about making another one.

My idea is having a profession suitable for open world, high level fractals, achievement hunting, etc. mainly. I have an elementalist, but I don’t like the low durability and the rotation makes my wrist hurt. I’d prefer a fun class with good survivability. That made me think about necromancer and revenant. In the case of necromancer, I hate the class’ theme and the minions (Though I love reaper’s shroud). In the case of the revenant, the only ranged weapon it has is awful when playing condi which annoys me.
I know that it is personal opinion, but, what do you think, guys? What could be the profession for “everything”?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I love my Ranger.

But, only you can decide what doesn’t have a flaw you can’t live with.

Good luck.

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

My all rounder is Power Reaper at the moment, with my own set up because she was overcap on crit in shroud. I don’t do fractals with her though because people only see the condi reaper build on metabattle and ignore the similar rated power reaper build. Very odd but whatever ^^

Other than high level fractals and raids I do pretty much everything else on her. Plus power reaper doesn’t need to use minions if you don’t like them (I don’t either).

Kitten.

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

I’d say condi ranger.

Good damage, survivability, decent in all game modes., easy on your wrists.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Posted by: serow.6524

serow.6524

For me, it’s the Ranger.

Current 80s: Ranger, Mesmer, Guardian, Elementalist, Revenant, Necromancer.
Working on: Engineer

Posted by: Ojimaru.8970

Ojimaru.8970

“Everything” is, as you might expect, rather broad. Current meta aside, all classes can do “everything.” However to do so requires that you learn and understand all the slot skills and traits builds of the profession, as well as having access to all possible weapon combinations available to the profession. Then, depending on your comfort level and role in a specific content, you may need different sets of stats to suit. For example, my Necromancer/Reaper had a Berserker set for Fractals, Soldier set for WvW, and a Condition Damage set for playstyle flexibility.

As for you existing Elementalist, I’m very surprised to hear that you think it’s a low-survivability profession. Even in full Berserker set, they have a full gamut of tools to disengage, regroup, and fight from different ranges even with a single weapon combination. Remember that the “rotation” is only applicable for specific situations, and a large part of PVE in Guild Wars 2, especially with the newer content, challenges the player to be able to react to a range of scenarios appropriately.

Posted by: TheQuickFox.3826

TheQuickFox.3826

For me, Celestial Elementalist.
The all-stats bonus helps quite a bit staying alive. I have no experience with other professions tho.

Ascalon will prevail!

GW Wiki user page  |  GW2 Wiki user page

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

My all rounder is Power Reaper at the moment, with my own set up because she was overcap on crit in shroud. I don’t do fractals with her though because people only see the condi reaper build on metabattle and ignore the similar rated power reaper build. Very odd but whatever ^^

Other than high level fractals and raids I do pretty much everything else on her. Plus power reaper doesn’t need to use minions if you don’t like them (I don’t either).

A condi reaper can tank and be an offhealer while still putting out decent damage so the question is what really is an allrounder?

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

A condi reaper can tank and be an offhealer while still putting out decent damage so the question is what really is an allrounder?

At 22k HP with a 20ishK shroud bar, shouts to remove conditions and powerful CC, power reaper can definitely compete with condi reaper in that sense. Blood Magic is not exclusively for condi builds either.People choose condi reaper because condition damage itself is quite OP atm especially in WvW. That and it’s pretty brain dead to use. (instead of full valk+scholar I run berserk+trooper with valk accessories and rings, keeps my crit cap and allows shouts condition removal and more survivability when I WvW. I use this set in OW too and things still melt.)

I use my power build because it’s fun and it melts enemies while keeping me alive.

Kitten.

(edited by Haleydawn.3764)

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Blood Magic is not exclusively for condi builds either

Right but good luck getting 1500+ healing power without completely gimping your power damage. Due to the fact you need power, precision and ferocity a condi build only take a small hit in comparison for more flexibility. A necro isnt reliant on precision for procs so they sacrifice nothing for such a roll.

But of course in PvE its zerk zerk zerk or go home and in WvW a necro with no armor, a limp leg and 2 sticks for arms would still be OP.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)