Combos, who did what ie. whose talents get applied?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Cinnamonfox.4965

Cinnamonfox.4965

Q:

I haven’t been able to find how the “credit” from combos is counted. As I play elementalist I have lots of fields and lots of finishers, as well as lots of talents that have the potential to affect the results, but I haven’t been able to figure if they do…

Is it the person who does projectile through water field who gives regeneration or was it the person who laid the water field? (-> will talent “remove a condition when granting regen to self or ally” activate from my projectile or if the field was mine?)

Did the person who blasted/leaped ice field do the frost armor or was it the person who laid the frost field? So whose talents will be applied?

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

A:

The stats used for the conditions resulting from combo fields are from the person using the finisher. We tested this on the PvP dummies and this seemed accurate.

Example:

Power based ele lays a fire field, condition based theif fires through it to get burning.

The theif’s condition damage and duration buffs are used, as well as any runes/sigils the theif might have that have specific procs or effects for burning.

If a Condition damage based ele layed the fire field the theif’s attacks would behave in exactly the same manner because the effect of the burning condition is using the stats of the their rather than the stats of the ele who laid the field.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Lunchbox.9543

Lunchbox.9543

I’ll use a simple example to describe how a field works.

As a Ranger, I lay a flame trap, and the enemy activates it. During the few seconds the flame trap is active, it creates a combo field that applies burning to any attack I make that has a combo finisher, for this example we will use Crossfire. Every time I use Crossfire on an enemy inside, or beyond, the active combo field, it will apply the burning affect.

For water fields, when you hit a foe with Crossfire it applies regeneration to yourself.

So, to sum it up, Player A creates a water combo field, Player B uses a combo finisher skill, Player B receives the combo bonus affect.

“I’m doing good in the game, so I’m doing good in life!”
Charlie

Posted by: RizziVanizzi.1532

RizziVanizzi.1532

I’ll use a simple example to describe how a field works.

As a Ranger, I lay a flame trap, and the enemy activates it. During the few seconds the flame trap is active, it creates a combo field that applies burning to any attack I make that has a combo finisher, for this example we will use Crossfire. Every time I use Crossfire on an enemy inside, or beyond, the active combo field, it will apply the burning affect.

For water fields, when you hit a foe with Crossfire it applies regeneration to yourself.

So, to sum it up, Player A creates a water combo field, Player B uses a combo finisher skill, Player B receives the combo bonus affect.

Yea but he wants to know, if Player A’s traits affect Player B. Does Players B’s physical projectile grant him the condition remove on top of the regen?

Cinnamonfox.4965

Indeed, the basic mechanic of combos is clear to me, but the potential effect of traits in them is the question.

When I lay down say a water field and player B shoots through it, I see the combo hearts flying in the air saying “regeneration”. Does it mean I granted the regen so that my said trait “remove a condition when granting regen to self or ally” could trigger from that, OR was it granted by the shooter and my trait can’t trigger?

Any insight or interest to test, anyone?

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

You didn’t grant regeneration to your ally, the combo did.

Posted by: Ojimaru.8970

Ojimaru.8970

So you are implying that Boons and Conditions caused by Combos do not benefit from stats such as Malice and Expertise?

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

Healing Rain
Call down a healing rain on the target area, granting regeneration to allies and curing conditions once every three seconds.

Cleansing Water
Remove a condition when granting regeneration to yourself or an ally.

Healing Rain pulses regeneration four times. Cleansing Water will remove conditions each four times, on you, or on the ally in the healing rain.,

However:
Cinnamon is asking about combos, specifically.
So you have a Water field. And s/he’s asking if a player who does a projectile finisher on the water field (thus receiving regeneration) will have conditions removed.

Answer:
No, cinnamon didn’t give the ally regeneration, Healing Rain didn’t give the player regeneration. The water combo field did. When CinnamonFox puts a field down, it doesn’t belong to her/him anymore. It belongs to the world.

@Ojimaru:
They do benefit, but only from the person doing the combo finisher, not the person who did the combo field.

Say I have sigil of smoldering on (+10% burning) on my weapon, and I cast a fire field. And you don’t have the sigil. When you apply burning with a projectile, it won’t use my 10% burning.

(edited by Moderator)

Cinnamonfox.4965

mmm, sounds like the field layer is not granting effects then. That is the most logical answer anyway tbh. But am I reading this wrong or are you now conflicting yourself above: Did you mean that the combo effect is granted by the player who uses finisher or by the “world” (combo)? If it is the finisher, then the answer to my original question is simple.

(Then I should be able to proc my cleansing trait by using a projectile through a water field, whether it’s mine or others’. Or if I grant auras with a leap finisher I can proc also swiftness and fury from my Zephyr’s boon trait. But I can’t grant a thing from my traits just by offering a field to be used. Fair enough.)