Complementary to a ranger?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: delay.6572

delay.6572

My brother and I are set to level some Charrs together. He’s rolling a ranger so I’m wondering what class will complement him well in PvE. I realize every profession would work well, but just curious what you guys think! Likely not a warrior or Guardian since I’m already leveling those.

Thanks!!

Posted by: Iyeru.5240

Iyeru.5240

2H Hammer/Greatsword Warrior / Guardian. Since you want to force NPC enemies to target you since you’re closer. Doing more damage than him is a priority if you don’t plan to be ranged. Since there aren’t many aggro stealing techniques in this game, and aggro mostly relies on damage. (The alternative is to use revive cheesing, since enemies tend to go for reviving players over anyone else.)

And remember, if you two are new, to get “legendary” (the rarity above ascended) You need to map-complete Tyria, and get rank 14 in WvW (and 500 badges of honor for each legendary you want.) Or you can save up 3100 Gold and buy one directly :P

Unless that’s changing in HoT.

Edit: You could also try necromancer, I guess?

* (A strange light fills the room. Twilight is shining ahead. You’re filled with, DETERMINATION.)

(edited by Iyeru.5240)

Posted by: Silvatar.5379

Silvatar.5379

Well….like you said, anything could work really but I would probably just make a ranger as well so that the two of us could simply stay at range and pew pew pew while our pets did all the aggro’ing. It would also make for a good competition as to see who is the better ranger while you can both explore different builds and exchange “notes” about what works well and what doesn’t. Just my thoughts.

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

Well….like you said, anything could work really but I would probably just make a ranger as well so that the two of us could simply stay at range and pew pew pew while our pets did all the aggro’ing. It would also make for a good competition as to see who is the better ranger while you can both explore different builds and exchange “notes” about what works well and what doesn’t. Just my thoughts.

Have fun trying to compliment a LB Ranger with anything but another LB Ranger. By the time you get a shot off with any other weapon the mob is half dead and/or being knocked out of range.

As far as my recommendation it’ll boil down to more about playing complimentary specs than complimentary professions. And more importantly play what you want. Don’t pick something just because it’ll compliment your brother’s spec better.

Posted by: Iyeru.5240

Iyeru.5240

Indeed, Sagramor is correct, don’t play something just to compliment them, play what you want.

* (A strange light fills the room. Twilight is shining ahead. You’re filled with, DETERMINATION.)

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I agree that it would be best for you both to have the same style of play – both ranged or both melee. Otherwise, if your brother (the ranger) goes longbow or shortbow, they are bound to kill the enemy with auto-attack before you could even get in close enough with your melee to inflict a single hit for credit.

As an alternative to both running LB or SB rangers, as your brother is going ranger, perhaps you can go Mesmer with a greatsword for a ranged weapon. Having clones could help your brother’s pet with the aggro from any enemies you may encounter that are too tough for the pair of you.

If you both decide you want to go melee, Mesmer with dual swords is fun if your ranger brother goes with axe/sword or greatsword.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Have fun trying to compliment a LB Ranger with anything but another LB Ranger. By the time you get a shot off with any other weapon the mob is half dead and/or being knocked out of range.

For that particular issue the solutions are “tell your brother not to play ranger” and “remove the 4 key from your brother’s keyboard”.

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

IF dont wanna give might with warrior them pump with ele? =x
and give u brother a Sword and an Axe

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Play melee, but tell your ranger not to use PBS.

Ever.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

I agree that it would be best for you both to have the same style of play – both ranged or both melee. Otherwise, if your brother (the ranger) goes longbow or shortbow, they are bound to kill the enemy with auto-attack before you could even get in close enough with your melee to inflict a single hit for credit.

As an alternative to both running LB or SB rangers, as your brother is going ranger, perhaps you can go Mesmer with a greatsword for a ranged weapon. Having clones could help your brother’s pet with the aggro from any enemies you may encounter that are too tough for the pair of you.

If you both decide you want to go melee, Mesmer with dual swords is fun if your ranger brother goes with axe/sword or greatsword.

I second this. Ranger was my first toon but mesmer is my favorite. I feel very comfortable with ranger using a longbow but I do love using my greatsword for melee. But for me mesmer is the most fun – greatsword for range and sword/? for melee (Edit: but make sure to learn how and when to shatter).

(edited by Lazuli.2098)