Complete newcomer!

Complete newcomer!

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Thundernoodle.4890

Thundernoodle.4890

Hiya!

First of all, let me clarify that this isn’t a ‘looking for help’ post. I wanted to post this in the appropriate world forums, but it seems there aren’t any of those! (Or I’m just blind.) So, I’ll just say hi here.

Either way, I installed this game this morning. My first character’s an elementalist, and so far it’s been a blast! I’m based on some world called Blacktide, but as I’m interested in RP and I’ve heard Piken Square’s great for such things, I’m ‘guesting’ there full-time.

The plan is to slowly level up at my own pace and at some point, when I feel confident with the lore, maybe try my hand at RP.

In the meantime, I’d welcome a couple names on my friends list for chattery and shenanigans. I’d certainly welcome a bunch of hints too (it’s all a little overwhelming at the moment), and when I feel confident enough with the game I hope to return the favour by helping out other newcomers.

I’m also hoping to find people who might be willing to drag my noob behind through a couple of dungeons, story mode – I want to experience the story properly, rather than go with the usual “gogogo lolz omg srsly rpers” groups and rush through it all! At least the first time around.

That’s enough from me for now. Thanks, and I hope to see at least some of you in-game.

Sincerely,
Me

Complete newcomer!

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Welcome to the game. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Complete newcomer!

Posted by: Oenanthe.6549

Oenanthe.6549

Welcome to Tyria.

I’m on Piken Square and have been since launch, although with the the meta server system it doesn’t really matter except for WvW (large map, large zerg PVP), you don’t really need to worry about guesting anymore, if you party up with someone the meta server system will try and put you on the same map regardless of your home zones. The only time it cant is if one is EU and one is NA as they are different sets of servers.

Your best bet for role playing is to find a role play guild, it is one thing the meta server system has hampered. Ask in the ‘looking for’ forum, or do a Google search for Guild wars 2 role play and you should find dedicated sites for it.

Take it easy, don’t use your level 80 boost too soon, it is best to level up at least one character the old way to learn what you are doing, and be warned, while elementalist can be fun they are also one of the more squishy classes. If you do find you end up dieing too much you might want to try a more resilient class until you are more familier with the mechanics of the game.

And finally one big piece of advice, learn to dodge.

And have fun.

Complete newcomer!

Posted by: Thundernoodle.4890

Thundernoodle.4890

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Yes, I did realise elementalists are quite squishy. Queensdale was no problem, but when questing through the second half of Kessex I started dying quite a bit. So I’m shelving the elementalist for now and going for a warrior instead.

Thanks for the tips though, dodging’s a real life saver. >>

Complete newcomer!

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

I’m also hoping to find people who might be willing to drag my noob behind through a couple of dungeons, story mode – I want to experience the story properly, rather than go with the usual “gogogo lolz omg srsly rpers” groups and rush through it all! At least the first time around.

I never had much luck with dungeons. They used to be farmed a lot at one point, but then the game brought in fractals. And then fractals were farmed. And then they introduced raids instead. Now people who do this sort of content go to raids.

This also means very few players bother with dungeons as they offer almost no rewards worth of the time. Yet, most still have annoying mechanics, that you are suppose to “learn” by doing it many times, and dying many times (or by watching walkthroughs). But you can not learn them by yourself, at your own time and pace.

So there is huge gap between those pro-players who have run every dungeon hundreds of times and find these fights extremely easy by now, and those who have never done them before. The “running” is at many spots quite literal since dungeons feature bucketload of garbage mobs that nobody kills, just runs through, using stealth and weird shortcuts whenever possible to reach next boss fight.

I know the game say to go and do dungeon at certain level, but don’t. Get to level 80 first and grab some better gear, understand your skills better, then look around for some group to go into dungeon with. You are doing it for only fun anyway, might as well stay alive a bit longer.

Complete newcomer!

Posted by: shroomdragon.2074

shroomdragon.2074

Hello. I am a new comer as well i bought the game few weeks ago haven’t got to far yet. Actually just got back into pc gaming its been about 6 years since i played a pc. But anyways if you like to group up some time hit me up. I will be on sometime today after work

Complete newcomer!

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

The reason you couldn’t find server specific forums is because server identity only matters for WvW, the pen world PvP mode.

For general PvE maps are populated using an algorithm that prioritises parties, squads, friends, guildies en servermates, before adding people from other servers. Once a map is full, a new instance of that map is created and populated. If you want to play with someone in another map you can join them as long as their map isn’t full.

This means the world always feels populated. Welcome to GW2!

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA