Computer Crash when loading "The Grove"

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Foulgrin.2760

Foulgrin.2760

So, I have two computers at my house. A desktop and a laptop. My laptop spec’s are as follows…

HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC
x64 based PC
AMD A8-5550M APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics, 2100 mhz 4 cores
6GiG RAM
HGST HTS541075A9E680 SATA Disk 5400rpm 1 Tera Byte HD
WIndows 8

My Desktop is as follows…

Cyberpower custom PC
x64 based pc
INtel® Core™ i7 CPU 920 @2.67Ghz, 2668 Mhz, 4 Cores
Nvidia Geforce GTS 250
Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 ATA Device 1 Tera Byte HD 5400rom
6 Gigs of RAM
WIndows 10 Home

The reason I list both computers is because my laptop somehow runs the game smoothly no matter where I travel too. However my desktop is freezing up everytime I enter the Grove of SYlvari homeland. I haven’t even tested going to Lions Arch yet. I figure it may be due to my hardware but I’m not sure what may need upgrading or what may be malfunctioning because my desktop used to play GW2 just fine. Any ideas?

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

I’d check for two things: one, corrupted file on the desktop. Easy path, since the laptop works, is just to copy over gw2.dat from the laptop to the desktop.

Second, check your GPU is seated right, and working as expected. Grab GPU-Z and verify it sees a PCIe 16x link, make sure it’s fans are working, etc.

Foulgrin.2760

Thank you for your response.

I’m uncertain that it could be a corrupted file, since I’ve had limited success walking around in THE GROVE completing a quest or two before getting the following message, “The game clinent lost its connection to the server. Please wait a few minutes before restarting client and try again. (Code=7:11:3:191:101)”. The graphics are turned down to best performance/low settings for my desktop, as is the laptop.

I will take your suggestion with GPU-Z and report back my findings. I still just get a sick feeling it’s something wrong with something hardware related.

Also, I recently in the last 24 hours reformatted the harddrive and started over with a fresh copy of Windows 10 on the Desktop, and re-downloaded Guildwars 2 from scratch and this problem still persists before the clean re-install and now after as well.

EDITED: 24 hours later…

So, I am running GPU-Z and not much has crept up as in problems with my system. However I came across another thread about the error code I was getting and people were suggesting they solved theirs by #1 Calling their ISP/service provider and hashing it out with them, #2 Rebooting their router/updating firmware and such, which led me to discover an update for my wireless N card installed on the desktop.

I’ve updated the drivers to the latest available for my wireless card and am able to play somewhat better than before. I now know nothing is wrong with my graphics/RAM/hard drive/heat sink. None of these avenues of troubleshooting and testing helped out. This issue/code seems to strictly be related to packet loss due to your connection being stable. Go figure the code actually hinted at the exact problem…

Anyway long story short I’ll still probably have connection issues as we have no dedicated broadband/internet service and my wife and I use our T-mobile phone hotspots on our phones to play Guildwars 2. It works perfectly fine most days until our service gets bumped from 4G to 3G. I’m told this happens because my service may switch from one tower to another outside my network “while traveling” which somehow happens when sitting in the same spot at my house quite frequently apparently. Also, it happens when/if there is any maintenance on towers/the network. If there are any others out there who also choose like us not to pay for a dedicated broadband service just be aware that services such as T-mobile and other phone services which allow you to tether your phone to devices as a hotspot DRASTICALLY reduce your download/upload speeds on the devices connected to your hotspot. Your phone will have normal internet speeds capable of running youtube/many apps but you may be required to close all other data consuming apps on your phone/tablet in order to successfully play a game like Guildwars 2.

I appologize for being long winded, but hope this somewhat explains and helps someone else with similar issues to mine.

(edited by Foulgrin.2760)

Posted by: lilypop.7819

lilypop.7819

Would always wait a few weeks with a problem like this. The reason is that Window 10 updates for older hardware can cause problems, which giving that it’s old stuff they are slow in fixing – same would apply to your GPU vendor.

Another possibility with an old computer is that the PSU has degraded, and that when pushed the one or more of the power lines is dropping below spec causing the motherboard to disable this bit or that – ie like randomly dropping the network and/or GPU but keeping the CPU/Mobo powered

If giving the choice I would guess the PSU is the problem. In general hard worked PSUs are more like to degrade faster than non-OCed hard worked GPUs.

Check for disabling of IC components by looking at Win 10’s Event Viewer – look for recent big red exclamation marks ! corresponding to the time of the crash.

Frankly I would consider replacing the PSU anyway after 6 or more years since if it pops it’s possible to take a few more things with when it does and good PSUs are obtainable for a relatively low cost compared to the current worth of the older computer.

You can buy good solid old ex-business (and hence never driven hard) PSU for around 10 to 20 GBP. The are actually far better than retail PSUs but tend to have exacting cable lengths for particular business PCs and ofc not as pretty as the ones costing three times the price of retail PSUs

(edited by lilypop.7819)

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Hrm. If you had a connection loss message, https://www.pingplotter.com/fix-your-network is a good guide to how to track down if network problems are the cause of the issue.

I’d suggest follow that, and if you find something, it also has advice on who to talk to about getting it fixed. (Also, feel free to post here screenshots if you can’t figure them out or whatever. Just make sure it’s to the map server machine, which you can get with `/ip` in chat while in the game.)

Foulgrin.2760

Thanks SlippyCheeze,

Looking into that. My desktop seems to be working better than my laptop now. I’m losing connection and getting the error that says something like can’t connect to the server on my laptop more often after I’ve updated with a fresh install of WIndows 10.