Computer?

Computer?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: djbilo.9810

djbilo.9810

So anyway I have played GW2 on and off for a while now and have found that my computer screen goes black every so often when playing and i have to restart GW2.
I thought this was a software problem so i re installed and repaired ect but nothing, then i got thinking about my computer where i ran tests using the can you run it website and it says I can so it has me stumped.

I have been thinking about upgrading my computer a bit using parts from MSY.

the list of my computer as is now.
Pentium® Dual-Core CPU E6500 @ 2.93GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
Windows 8.1 64bit
6Gb Ram

I need and will be getting a new case most probably
Thermaltake V4 Mid Tower Case Black Edition with 500W PSU

Any help would be helpfull.
Located Northern NSW Australia

Computer?

Posted by: poisonality.8972

poisonality.8972

what mobo you got right now? and the going black could be either the screen, the vid card, windows got clusterkittened

the gt 610 is a rather crap card man. im guessing you got this as a pre-built from the store? if so the motherboard is more than likely trash as well, honestly you just need a new build all together

(edited by poisonality.8972)

Computer?

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

There isn’t a whole lot you can upgrade to your CPU, maybe an Q6600 overclocked but then you’ll have to get your hands on that cpu (very rare these days) + how to overclock.

Your GPU will definitely need replacement, but I’m not sure if your CPU is able to feed a strong new GPU. (Basically cpu can only feed 50% where your cpu will only work 50% strong)

Do you have a budget?

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

Computer?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Just about any $100 video card will be a massive upgrade assuming you have the power to support the card.

That said your system in ancient in computer years. While a video card could help you improve the look and likely some performance, a slow dual core limits you quite a bit.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Computer?

djbilo.9810

thanks it got the best of me doing alot of research on it all and decided to upgrade so now a good case might have to put some more cooling into it just to be safe.
I built that computer many years ago never really upgraded it.
I have no upgraded to below
Asrock H97M Pro4 motherboard
Intel Core I5 4460 3.2Ghz 6MB CPU
Gainward GW-GTX250-2G Graphics Card
8GB Stick of Ram
since I put my hard drives into it from my old computer I had to reinstall windows 8.1 which also made me reinstall GW2
I am still waiting but according to the system requirements test it has made a massive difference. Even the guy at the computer store was a little jelous.

Computer?

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

Can you check that GTX250? As far as I’m aware no such card exists :P
You might’ve messed it up with the 750?

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

Computer?

Behellagh.1468

GTS 250 yes, but that’s a REALLY OLD card, like as old as a Pentium E6500. I’m sure it’s better than the GT 610, I think.

RIP City of Heroes

Computer?

djbilo.9810

sorry yes 750 little typo currently at 79% downloaded so really keen to get on and see if this fixed the problem, if not $600 spent still well but little dissapointed that its not fixed but once downloaded will let you know if my problems have been fixed and will hopefully be online alot more

Computer?

Behellagh.1468

The GTX 750 will be loads better coupled with a modern quad core.

RIP City of Heroes

Computer?

djbilo.9810

ok so now i downloaded logged in worked great for about 8-10mins and then the screen went black but i can still here the sound. Hmm was looking forward to doing an all nighter.
Any help on this issue would be great.

Computer?

Posted by: NoobOnSteroid.7192

NoobOnSteroid.7192

Can you alt+tab out of guild wars to the desktop? Or do you lose your monitor completely? If you still get an image by alt+tabbing out (which you do, considering you said it is fixed by “restarting Guild Wars”), the problem is not the hardware.

From the support page (https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/28148006-Repairing-the-Game-Client):

When I launch Guild Wars 2, the screen goes black but I can still hear the music. Help!

There are a number of different factors that could be causing this issue.
First, eliminate the possibility that your router is causing issues by bypassing the router and connecting directly to your modem via Ethernet cable. If you have a router/modem combo unit, please disable the SPI Firewall setting because this has been known to contribute to black screens.

If this does not resolve the issue for you, another factor to consider is your security software. As a temporary troubleshooting step, please disable any security software to see if it is interfering with the client. If this works to resolve your issue, you may need to configure that software to not block Guild Wars 2 in the future.

Beyond this, if you’re still experiencing the black screen issues, please submit a Technical Support ticket for further assistance.

It’s a fairly common issue, and there’s plenty of google material on it, if you want to try out stuff before contacting support.