Condition Duration Reduction help?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: WhiteAndMilky.2514

WhiteAndMilky.2514

My aim is to reduce condition duration significantly. But I have been lead to understand that the game rounds to the nearest 1/4th of a second in relation to conditions.

An example setup:
6 runes of melandru resulting in -25% condition duration reduction
+ 1 bowl of lemongrass and poultry soup resulting in -40% condtion duration reduction.
= a total of -65% condition duration reduction.

Is this helping anymore than say -50% condition duration reduction would? Is it rounding down to the 1/4 second near -50% or is it rounding up to the 1/4 second near -75%?

I would very much appreciate some concrete information on this, or at least a method of testing it, as you can ONLY test the runes in sPvP and not PvE/WvW and not the food. So if you know of a mob in PvE that inflicts a significant duration of a non-stacking condition, please share!

I play all the things 80. Pew Pew Pew. Killin joor commanders.
4 Warriors, 3 Rangers, 3 Mesmers, 2 Engineers, 2 Guardians, and Necro, Thf, Ele
-Beastygate Beast Milk, OG BG Veteran Native

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

If you head into the Aetherblade Retreat and ram yourself into one of the mines in the water, you’ll get hit with cripple for a moderate amount of time (if you survive). However, I’m not sure if this is a set duration or not.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Condition-duration-vs-Condition-duration/2204523

It can be tested in WvW too.

For condition duration reduction there are many things to consider. For starters there are many different sources of conditions with varying durations so a -65% is going to be different in each case. Then there is the difference between damaging and non-damaging conditions. For damaging conditions any reduction below a whole second is good, rounding isn’t going to matter much there but for non-damaging ones the exact duration will make a difference.

As for long condition durations, you can play around with Risen Gorillas. One of their attacks can give you a minute of cripple if you take all the hits.

WhiteAndMilky.2514

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Condition-duration-vs-Condition-duration/2204523

For condition duration reduction there are many things to consider. For starters there are many different sources of conditions with varying durations so a -65% is going to be different in each case. Then there is the difference between damaging and non-damaging conditions. For damaging conditions any reduction below a whole second is good, rounding isn’t going to matter much there but for non-damaging ones the exact duration will make a difference.

As for long condition durations, you can play around with Risen Gorillas. One of their attacks can give you a minute of cripple if you take all the hits.

Sorry I don’t have a lot of time to read into this (at work). But what you are saying basically is that there is an advantage to having -65% vs -50% for conditions that have a long duration? I need to reduce all conditions durations as much as I possibly can. But if there is a point where I no longer am benefitting from it, I’d prefer to not buy the most expensive foods.

Khisanth.2948

Sorry I don’t have a lot of time to read into this (at work). But what you are saying basically is that there is an advantage to having -65% vs -50% for conditions that have a long duration? I need to reduce all conditions durations as much as I possibly can. But if there is a point where I no longer am benefitting from it, I’d prefer to not buy the most expensive foods.

If this is for WvW you want the most possible to counter people using +condition duration. If this is for general PvE -condition is mostly a waste anyway except possibly for a few of the bounty targets.

WhiteAndMilky.2514

If this is for WvW you want the most possible to counter people using +condition duration. If this is for general PvE -condition is mostly a waste anyway except possibly for a few of the bounty targets.

Exactly what I needed to know. Do you by chance however know if when it rounds to the nearest 1/4th second, does it round up to a higher reduction or down?

EDIT: Wait did you find in testing that condition reduction ONLY applies to those conditions which have had their duration BOOSTED? I always thought it reduced normal non-modified conditions as well.

(edited by WhiteAndMilky.2514)

Khisanth.2948

I wasn’t the one doing testing and it reduces all durations. I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that the post says it only applies to boosted durations.

WhiteAndMilky.2514

I wasn’t the one doing testing and it reduces all durations. I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that the post says it only applies to boosted durations.

Yep I realized right after I posted that with any condition reduction I simply walk out of entangle. Like I said I’m working right now, it’s over 100°, I’m outside all day on black asphalt and I think my brain is roasting. Please disregard insanity.

Posted by: Nretep.2564

Nretep.2564

The game does not round.

65% critical chance will not be rounded to 50%, it’ll be 65 out of 100.
65% critical damage will still be 65% additional damage on a crit, 65 per 100 basedmg.

If you get hit a condition, which originally lasts 10s, and you have 65% condition protection, the condition will last 3.5s (= 10s x (1 – 65%)). No rounding.
The calculation changes if the source has bonus condition duration, but there is no rounding.

If the skill has 10s base duration, the source bonus 50% duration and the destination -65% condition duration, the duration will last 8.5s (10s x (1 + 50% – 65%)). No rounding.

PS:
formatting really hurts when a “+” is a formatting initiator …

Posted by: WreckSC.1835

WreckSC.1835

Just to add to what Nretep is saying though, conditions that ‘tick’ damage on the second (e.g. poison) any fraction of a second left you won’t take damage (or do damage if it’s your condition you put on someone else). So in the case of the 3.5 seconds the last 0.5 seconds you wouldn’t take any more damage than a 3 second poison duration.

So while not rounding (the effect is still there), in the case of the damage ticks like poision, burning, partial seconds don’t do anything damage wise.

Posted by: Nretep.2564

Nretep.2564

Just to add to what Nretep is saying though, conditions that ‘tick’ damage on the second (e.g. poison) any fraction of a second left you won’t take damage (or do damage if it’s your condition you put on someone else). So in the case of the 3.5 seconds the last 0.5 seconds you wouldn’t take any more damage than a 3 second poison duration.

So while not rounding (the effect is still there), in the case of the damage ticks like poision, burning, partial seconds don’t do anything damage wise.

The exact mechanics of fractions on ticking based conditions (/boons) is know known (yet). Well, not known for players, that is.

There are two different theories (, I know):

• As you explained. It only ticks on certain intervals, all fractions will not tick at all.
  • An internal tick counter starts when a first time-tick based effects lands upon you. Each tick of this tickcounter will then apply effects for each tick-based condition (/boon).
    Example:
    -Target has no time-tick based effect before t=0.
    -At t=0 you inflict a 5sec bleeding, the tickcounter starts at t=0, ticking at t=1;2;3;4;5 (…)
    -You inflict a 0.5s burning at t=1.1, it voids at t=1.6; no tick from ticker here; no effect.
    -You inflict a 0.5s torment at t=2.9, ticker ticks at t=3; torment applied, even with 0.5s condition duration.

PS: I didn’t use poison as example, since it has a secondary effect.