Confused about HoT mastery system

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Vethaera.6319

Vethaera.6319

I just came back to the game (after a year) right before the launch of HoT. I’ve always been a “filthy casual,” so I’m not really up on the end game stuff, but I do have 5 lvl 80 characters (ranger, elementalist, mesmer, guardian, warrior), all in exotic gear.

And I’m really confused now.

Since the launch of HoT, my lvl 80’s have an XP bar that firmly says 0 on the left end. On my ranger, it was filling up, slowly, because I don’t have lots of time to play, and I hadn’t ventured into HoT yet. The XP bar filled up and seemed to get stuck there, and I thought, well, okay, I’ll head over and do Rally to Maguuma and unlock masteries, see what Druid would be like. Maybe the XP bar will tick over and say 1 instead of 0.

At some point, my XP bar emptied, and the number on the left is still 0. What? What happened to my XP? I have no idea why the XP disappeared but the number didn’t go up to 1. I have no idea what in the world I’m doing. Is there a website, or a post, or something, anything, somewhere, that will explain these things in terms that an old woman who wasn’t born knowing every detail of how to play GW2 and didn’t grow up with an XBox in her hand can understand? Please?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

You have to first select which mastery the xp will go into. Then it will charge. Once full and if you have a mastery point, use it and select another track.

Core Tyria and HoT has separate tracks and XP bars.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Vethaera.6319

Okay. That makes sense. But I still don’t understand why my XP bar emptied and gold number to the left of it still says 0.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Did you switch which mastery that’s being trained? Each has their own track not to mention it’ll change going between HoT and Core Tyria.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

I have to also ask if you have done the first instanced story of HoT? That it needed to get the mastery system going.

Vethaera.6319

Yes, I did Rally to Maguuma and Torn from the Sky.

It was very difficult to solo, by the way. I’ve seen people saying that the new content is all group content — and my guild kicked me while I was inactive. So my options are limited unless I find a new guild.

(edited by Vethaera.6319)