Confused about Upgrade Slot in gear

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

I understand what an empty slot is used for and have applied many bonuses, but one aspect of this mechanism has me totally beat: can someone please explain what text such as “Minor Rune of the Centaur (0/2)” means when it appears on higher quality drops, because it doesn’t mean what I think it does!

Specifically, what does the “(0/2)” mean?

I ASSUMED it meant I had to put two Runes into it to activate the two bonus listed below it (like in other games which have a cosmetically similar feature), but after applying one (and getting the message “the existing one will be destroyed”) it still says (0/2) so clearly I don’t ‘get it’.

I read the Wiki about Runes and links to info on Slots but never came across an explanation of this bit.

Posted by: SynfulChaot.3169

SynfulChaot.3169

The (x/2) means you have x items equipped with that particular rune, and as such you only have the first x bonuses unlocked. You only apply one rune per armor piece. To get the bonuses, you need to apply the runes to different armor pieces.

Tarnished Coast – Wayfarer’s Accord [Way]
Main: Caeimhe – Sylvari Ranger
Alts: Charr Guardian, Asura Elementalist, Human Thief, Norn Necromancer

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

What Synful said.

They work like armor sets in other games – you get more bonuses for having more matching pieces. But the bonuses are tied to the runes instead of the armor so you can mix and match instead of being tied to a particular look and stats.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Dasorine.1964

Dasorine.1964

yep the 0/2 is a measure of how much of that gear you have equiped, if you had put the bit of armour that had the rune onto your character it would show as 1/2 and highlight the bonus you get for 1 rune equiped.

You then just need to put the rune in another bit of armour and equip it to show 2/2

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I was looking at the gem slotting in WOW as the comparison, it didn’t occur to me this was a ‘set’ feature.