Creating a different character

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Thralia Elladysvarilo.5163

Thralia Elladysvarilo.5163

I’m new to this and I bought the game hoping that I could play an elf-like character. The closest thing I found were the tree people. Now I’m level 14 and I see player characters with fine features and pointy ears that are not tree people. I’d like to go back in and design a cuter player. If I create a new player, will it delete my first one? Just in case I can’t make something prettier, I want to be able to continue with my ugly plant girl.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Need a screenshot because the only pointy ear player characters are the Sylvari (aka the Tree People). Unless you saw the Festive Lord Faren mini.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/1/10/Mini_Festive_Lord_Faren.jpg

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Ok thank you very much. I have no idea how to make a screen shot but you answered my question. I guess I’m stuck with her. Ugh.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can make as many characters as you like (5/6 slots come with purchase – you can acquire more from the Gem Store up to ~70 slots). Creating a new character does not delete any previous characters.

You can also obtain a Makeover Kit and change your characters’ appearance.

Welcome to Tyria, and good luck.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Probably just a pale skin Sylvari. The Sylvari are practically made FROM nature and magic…… you really can’t get any more High Elf without cloning tolkeneqse type fantasy worlds. They started design life as a Elves, but was later subverted to enable better interaction with other races, and avoid having to recton them as an “Ancient Race”. Even if they were to dump the Plant-like appearance, the lore benefited much more from them not having centuries worth of cultural baggage; with their greater population behaving like very articulate children.

That is unless your whole reasoning for Elves is an inflated sense of self righteous arrogance; in which case, Asura have that in copious amounts.. and pointy ears to boot. The one thing that kills it for me with Sylvari is the amalgamate English accent they use, with only 1 or 2 of the VAs side stepping the near constant awkward inflections. Unfortunately the ones running the player dialog suffered the most from this, contributing to their lacking popularity.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

You can make up to 5 characters without needing to delete any. You can also buy extra character slots if you want more.

I’m not sure what characters you’ve seen with pointy ears though. Asura can have pointy ears but they’re very short and grey or brown, so they don’t look like fantasy elves. (Maybe a bit like some weirder depictions of Santa’s elves.)

It might be possible to make a human or norn with pointy ears but it’d be subtle, not like WoW where their ears are longer than their head.

Alternatively it might be that someone made a sylvari that looks like a human or elf, but last time I looked there were no skin or hair colours that looked right. (Unless you’re making a Warcraft night elf, which is purple, a drow or one of the obscure Forgotten Realms sub-races which have unusual skin colours.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Ok. Wow. So I can make another character and not loose my current progress. Also, to the person that mentioned self righteous elves. I only like playing elves because of how cute they are. But I will practice making a different character now that I know I won’t lose my current one. You guys have been a major help. You have no idea.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

You can keep making new characters while the old ones stay unchanged as long as you have empty boxes at the bottom of your character select screen. When those run out you can buy more for gems; if you pay RL money for the gems it’s US$10 per slot except during the very rare sales.

I just saw a thread posted with a player asking if the numbers of characters possible to make could increase to 90 … me, I’m sailing along happily with 21 alts (20 of them are 80 with elite specs) and 2 open slots for playing around with ideas.

Advice: Do not delete your first character. If you don’t like her looks, you can change them with a total makeover kit (can even gender swap – but not race change). Or you can just park her. You get birthday presents for each character for each year they exist. The first year ain’t so much of a much, but by years 3 and 4 you’re into some nice things. Don’t lose out by deleting your oldest alt.

Ok. Wow. So I can make another character and not loose my current progress. Also, to the person that mentioned self righteous elves. I only like playing elves because of how cute they are. But I will practice making a different character now that I know I won’t lose my current one. You guys have been a major help. You have no idea.

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

I reckon what you saw was a Sylvari that had their features customised with a total makeover kit. These are one use gemstore items that cost 350 gems. I believe every city has an NPC which will allow you to preview the posibilities. Some of the new faces are a lot cuter than th base ones.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Total_Makeover_Kit

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

You do lose some progress.

Your new character will need to re-do all the character-bound stuff (leveling, hearts, HPs, soul-bound equipment, story, etc), but any account-bound stuff will be shared between your old and new characters (gold/other currencies, items in bank, masteries, account-bound equipment, etc).

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

being lazy and not reading previous posts, but a Total Makeover Kit offers a lot of appearance options that are ONLY available through the kit and not available at character creation. If you only need to change from the head up, there’s the Self-Style Hair Kit.

Pretty Pixie’s link will show you all the available options before you spend the gems on it.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

You do lose some progress.

Your new character will need to re-do all the character-bound stuff (leveling, hearts, HPs, soul-bound equipment, story, etc), but any account-bound stuff will be shared between your old and new characters (gold/other currencies, items in bank, masteries, account-bound equipment, etc).

At the risk of being pedantic you don’t lose any progress, it just doesn’t carry over to your new character.

It seems like a small thing but if I understood correctly that’s what the OP was worried about: that making a new character would wipe the old one. (Which does happen in some games.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

If you make a new character in a new slot, it starts from scratch with the exception of any unlocked skins, or achievements. Your other character(s) remain as they are unless you actively delete them yourself.

In Lions Arch, you can speak to an NPC by the BL Trading post and they will allow you to preview all the changes you can make to a character without having a total makeover kit. Try before you buy kinda deal.