Cultural Armor - Overpriced?

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Jonny.9370

Jonny.9370

I got bored and started looking towards my characters “future” so I went to the cultural armor vendors to see what it would look like on my character.. I then saw the gold pricing.. wtf?

Is gold really that easy to get for 80s? Or is this the biggest money-sink in the history of MMOs? The reason I say this is because at current market prices(if my math is correct), if I was to buy gems to transfer to gold with ~600 gems equalling 1 gold, I would need around 72000 gems. This translates to around $900 USD…

TL;DR, Cultural Armor Tier 3, is currently worth about 900 real world American dollars.

I’d say thats a little much? Discuss?

Posted by: TheUndefined.1720

TheUndefined.1720

Lol, I can feel the flames about to roar, and I have to stand in the middle of this soon to be firestorm with you.

I agree the cultural armor is extremely overpriced. However, I feel it’s overpriced, because the armor I saw (tier 1 & 2) were so weak! Charging that much money for such poor gear is a waste of an item. This is so sad to see as well, because I feel the cultural armor has to be some of the best looking armor in the game.

Honestly, I’d suggest to switch over to a reasonable karma price instead of gold.

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

I think the intend is to buy the Cultural Armor and use transmute stones so that it has stats that actually matter for your character’s trait build.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

Posted by: TheUndefined.1720

TheUndefined.1720

I think the intend is to buy the Cultural Armor and use transmute stones so that it has stats that actually matter for your character’s trait build.

Very well could be, and I’ve thought of this as well. It is still disappointing (to me at least) to not see this gear used as.. well gear! Lol!

Posted by: Jonny.9370

Jonny.9370

Once the market starts going along and people start getting tons of gold, obtaining cultural armor might actually be a realistic goal, but I thought it was funny how at current rates it would actually cost a level 80 who pays for the whole set with gems converted to gold around $900.. and the set is only 120g. GW2 economy seems to be better than most countries lol.

Posted by: Asum.4960

Asum.4960

Sure it is, but 120 gold is kind of a big thing for a skin.

Also it doesn’t looks so super special, that it could be something to work towards to when you already have everything else, but more it is a regular armor skin some people might want to pick up like any other armor.

Atm it just sucks if the cultural Tier 3 is your taste.

Posted by: Amra.6028

Amra.6028

Very well could be, and I’ve thought of this as well. It is still disappointing (to me at least) to not see this gear used as.. well gear! Lol!

There’s a money deposit in the bank. The game is intended to be played “through” more than once as stories vary a lot. So buy that armor on a toon, put it aside 3 levels later and transmute it after you got the stats you wanted.

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

Sure it is, but 120 gold is kind of a big thing for a skin.

Also it doesn’t looks so super special, that it could be something to work towards to when you already have everything else, but more it is a regular armor skin some people might want to pick up like any other armor.

Atm it just sucks if the cultural Tier 3 is your taste.

Funny you mention that because I thought Obsidian Armor in GW1 was a bit overboard and I never did purchase it, even though I probably have farmed up all the Ectos to purchase it. I just never did find it quite appealing.

Back to the subject of Culture armor, I do like the Norn version … so I wouldn’t mind blowing off all that cash at some point. That and my Ritualist in GW1 wore the Norn set.

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

Posted by: Asum.4960

Asum.4960

I never bought the Obsidian Armor in 7 years of playing Guild Wars 1 for the very same reason. I bought over 20 prestige armors for all my characters instead.

But at least the Obsidian Armor had this even more prestige feeling to it.
It wasn’t just walking to a vendor and paying enough money to buy the whole gem shop out.

It included farming super rare materials in the Underworld, getting through a “dungeon” and all that stuff.

Sure, in the end it was still “pay a sload of money”, but at least it was hidden a little bit.

And if i can decide between getting all the bank slots, bag slots for all my characters, armor for all my characters and basically everything else i can dream of, or one average armor skin for one character… well, then something is a little bit off.

Posted by: loulakion.9741

loulakion.9741

I got bored and started looking towards my characters “future” so I went to the cultural armor vendors to see what it would look like on my character.. I then saw the gold pricing.. wtf?

Is gold really that easy to get for 80s? Or is this the biggest money-sink in the history of MMOs? The reason I say this is because at current market prices(if my math is correct), if I was to buy gems to transfer to gold with ~600 gems equalling 1 gold, I would need around 72000 gems. This translates to around $900 USD…

TL;DR, Cultural Armor Tier 3, is currently worth about 900 real world American dollars.

I’d say thats a little much? Discuss?

hey do you know how much it costs to be able to form squads in WvWvW ??? xD

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

Then why have 3 tiers?
If the only thing they’re good for is transmuting, certainly you would only need to buy the tier 1 stuff and nobody would ever buy the tier 3.

Posted by: Vertix.5693

Vertix.5693

I agree with the transmutation, maybe not the specific reason but it is a viable option.

I mean the human T3 scout gear just looks so… GOOD!

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Remember that this forum section is to help other players, and not discuss general topics like this, just to remind you.

ArenaNet have pretty much locked threads like this.

But otherwise, yes the cultural armour is very expensive, but it’s something to strive for.

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

Look guys Anet is giving different ways to acquire good gears do dungeon, buy lvl 80 exotic gear with your karma or get it with gold so its just a matter of preference and not that you really have to. But we still have work hard get these thngs…

Posted by: Syn.3459

Syn.3459

Look guys Anet is giving different ways to acquire good gears do dungeon, buy lvl 80 exotic gear with your karma or get it with gold so its just a matter of preference and not that you really have to. But we still have work hard get these thngs…

it isn’t even exotic gear(at least i don’t think it is), which is why it’s overpriced

Posted by: Skyrant Kangaroomouse.7458

Skyrant Kangaroomouse.7458

And spend more real money to apply it to your level 80 gear because your normal transmutation stones only work up to 79.

Great idea!

“The DR System is not restricting players, it just here to help them realize how they want to play!”

Posted by: Syn.3459

Syn.3459

And spend more real money to apply it to your level 80 gear because your normal transmutation stones only work up to 79.

Great idea!

clearly you don’t realize you can trade ingame gold for gems… it costs 70 silver for 10 stones, that’s hardly a lot

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

it isn’t even exotic gear(at least i don’t think it is), which is why it’s overpriced

I think 42k per piece is reasonable so that we players have something to work for. In Aion you will grind like hell and resort to make twinks just get good gears like killing thousand players just to get those reps. The point is every mmo you play if you want something then work hard for it. This is the challenge in any mmo i believe…

Posted by: jepoochy.1678

jepoochy.1678

Great idea!

clearly you don’t realize you can trade ingame gold for gems… it costs 70 silver for 10 stones, that’s hardly a lot

This is true, however, the intent is to get you to actually spend money on those gems. Anet could have simply given us a Wardrobe tab like many other games (such as Rift) have done, but instead they decided to double dip, get you to spend money on Vanity armor, then have to spend money again any time you upgrade a piece of armor

Posted by: Laki.7160

Laki.7160

It’s incredibly overpriced.

However, it wouldn’t be overpriced if it was exotic. I wouldn’t have a problem spending 120 gold on exotic gear.

Rare gear on the other hand? No thanks.